Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mcdougal.jpg
Apple vice president of retail Jerry McDougal, a key player in Apple's retail development over the past 12 years, has departed the company to spend more time with his family, reports IFOAppleStore.

McDougal was Ron Johnson's right hand man when he was still with the company and was considered a possible replacement for Johnson when he moved on to head JC Penney.
A key player in the birth of Apple's retail chain and a potential candidate to lead the retail stores has left the company. Jerry McDougal, Vice-President of Retail, said goodbye to his colleagues last Friday, sources say. His departure was explained as not work-related, but rather so he could spend more time with his family. Apple notoriously requires an enormous commitment of time from its employees, especially at the headquarters level. That commitment increased even more for retail executives after last year's departure of Ron Johnson.
McDougal was also considered as a possible replacement for John Browett after he was fired earlier this year.

IFOAppleStore notes that McDougal was responsible for Apple's retail marketing, product merchandising, store operations, loss prevention and customer loyalty programs.

Update: McDougal has been replaced by Jim Bean, Apple's VP of Finance, according to a report by AllThingsD. He will retain his VP title:
"Retail has an incredibly strong network of leaders at the store and regional level, and they will continue the excellent work they've done over the past decade to revolutionize retailing with unique, innovative services and a focus on the customer that is second to none," Apple spokesman Steve Dowling said. "Jim Bean is moving to Retail to help support our store teams. Jim has been at Apple for 15 years and is a great leader who understands our culture and focus on customer service."

Article Link: Jerry McDougal, Apple VP of Retail, Departs Apple [Updated]

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The biggest question is why was this guy passed up twice to run Apple Retail (and finally replace Johnson)?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm guessing he was told he wasn't going to run the retail operation. Apple does need to find the right person, and the sooner the better.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I'm guessing he wanted the head job and Cook said no and so he left.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
So Tim Cook had a VP with 12 years of experience but he chose to go with browett? I would be offended. It only took one year for Tim Cook to destroy Apple. Brilliant!

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
So Tim Cook had a VP with 12 years of experience but he chose to go with browett? I would be offended. It only took one year for Tim Cook to destroy Apple. Brilliant!

I'm starting to think that if not totally right, you are not totally wrong either...:(

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'm starting to think that if not totally right, you are not totally wrong either...:(

It's clear that Cook should have NEVER left his COO position - he is good for supply chain issues and ONLY that.

The moment he assumed CEO responsibilities, he lost control of his own boat (just see iMac and iPhone supply problems).

The only possible worst choice than him would be Michael Spindler, trust me.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Didn't realise that you, as an armchair expert knew every single detail here. Care to share them with the rest of us? :rolleyes:

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
When you're second in command and you don't get promoted to the top spot it requires that you either:

a) Leave

-- or --

b) Put your ego on the shelf.

Sounds like he couldn't manage to do #b twice. And it really does make one wonder why he was #2 if management felt he wasn't the right person to take over for #1 if #1 departed.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Paid well for his services, thank you. It is wise to pause and spend time with family. Sure, he could work harder and longer accumulating more wealth as Jobs did. Life != wealth.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
LOL Tim Cook probably has more talent, smarts and common sense in his pinky finger than most people here. But of course everyone else knows better.

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
Reading between the lines. Another undervalued worker leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This bigger picture here is that Tim Cook obviously has bigger and better ideas for Apple retail. Whenever I see someone leaving to "spend more time with his family" I know that's a smokescreen. Whatever the reason for this departure, the broom is moving through retail. Face it. It's become stagnant. It needs new energy. I find myself shopping online rather than going to the stores as I used to. I think we're about to see Retail V2.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
They actually said he wanted to spend more time with his family? Hysterical.

That probably was his statement. Bowing out with dignity and grace rather than trying to tarnish Apple and destroy any chance he would have to return in the future. All speculation of course. ( On my part )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.