Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The core, most important parts, CPU, GPU, screen resolution, are all iPad 2
And it is very likely iPad 2 can do Siri, just Apple will not allow it.

CPUs are the same in the 2, 3, and mini.....the 'X' in A5X simply adds GPU power as evidenced by equal benchmarks for the three devices.

I stand by my point that the mini is just as close to the iPad 3 (in fact maybe closer) than the iPad 2.

Siri is the same as an upgraded camera....a new feature that you pay more for. Just because the software could be run on the iPad 2 doesn't mean the feature isn't a differentiating factor between two devices.....Apple could've added an 8 mp camera to the iPad 2 when it was made....but they didn't.

Just because it is a piece of software, doesn't mean it's not a feature that moves the mini closer to the 3....despite your personal opinions about Siri's usefulness and effectiveness.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
CPUs are the same in the 2, 3, and mini.....the 'X' in A5X simply adds GPU power as evidenced by equal benchmarks for the three devices.

I stand by my point that the mini is just as close to the iPad 3 (in fact maybe closer) than the iPad 2.

Siri is the same as an upgraded camera....a new feature that you pay more for. Just because the software could be run on the iPad 2 doesn't mean the feature isn't a differentiating factor between two devices.....Apple could've added an 8 mp camera to the iPad 2 when it was made....but they didn't.

Just because it is a piece of software, doesn't mean it's not a feature that moves the mini closer to the 3....despite your personal opinions about Siri's usefulness and effectiveness.

Well, then you are effectively saying the iPad 3 is just and iPad 2 with higher resolution screen.

Cameras, BT, Siri, and Cell if equipped are all icing on the cake. In the end, the CPU/GPU and Screen are what really matters.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Well, then you are effectively saying the iPad 3 is just and iPad 2 with higher resolution screen.

Cameras, BT, Siri, and Cell if equipped are all icing on the cake. In the end, the CPU/GPU and Screen are what really matters.

The 3 is just a 2 with upgraded screen. The graphics power is similar because the extra power is all used for driving the higher resolution.

The mini is essentially identical to the 3 in terms of performance and features, while its identical to the 2 in CPU and screen resolution.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The 3 is just a 2 with upgraded screen. The graphics power is similar because the extra power is all used for driving the higher resolution.

The mini is essentially identical to the 3 in terms of performance and features, while its identical to the 2 in CPU and screen resolution.

Heck, I'd say in terms of "features", the Mini is closer to the 4th gen iPad. They have the same rear camera, front camera, improved Wifi and LTE, plus lightening.

The Mini has the SoC (CPU/GPU/RAM) and resolution of the iPad 2, and all other features FFC/RFC/WiFi/Siri/Lightening/LTE are the same as the 4.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Your very good at stating the obvious. Of course the core components that make it function and directly affect performance are what really matter. You did leave out the RAM though.

True. Mini has 512MB of RAM, just like iPad 2.

Heck, I'd say in terms of "features", the Mini is closer to the 4th gen iPad. They have the same rear camera, front camera, improved Wifi and LTE, plus lightening.

The Mini has the SoC (CPU/GPU/RAM) and resolution of the iPad 2, and all other features FFC/RFC/WiFi/Siri/Lightening/LTE are the same as the 4.

But what is most important part of device?
Cellular?
Camera?
BT?
SIRI?
CPU/GPU/RAM/Screen?
Battery?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

That's precisely what I'm saying....

The iPad 3 IS most definitely an iPad 2 with a higher resolution screen (and as a result more GPU power to run said screen).

It also has Siri, better BT, cameras and LTE - but as you said, all that is icing on the cake.

----------

Exactly my point.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I personally feel the full size iPad is a bit too big/heavy, the mini just seems so light, more usable day to day.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
That's precisely what I'm saying....

The iPad 3 IS most definitely an iPad 2 with a higher resolution screen (and as a result more GPU power to run said screen).

It also has Siri, better BT, cameras and LTE - but as you said, all that is icing on the cake.

And twice the RAM ...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
If I buy another iPad it will be a mini

After I realized the iPad is not the content creating mobile device I need, watching movies on my iPhone 4s is a sobering experience.

I'm grateful I have choice.

I realized the larger iPad just wasn't for me as far as writing/coursework and reading goes, but I'm spoiled by a bit of a larger screen for watching movies on the go.

The Mini's weight, size and price appeal to me for what I would ultimately use a Mini for (content only.)

I'll keep my eyes peeled and hang back for a while before I make my decision, but I can already see how much I miss something larger for watching films and playing games.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
If cost is the big issue, how will the rumored new/cheaper/larger iPhone fair against the flagship iPhone which will be more expensive...?

Will the same thing happen like the Mini. Will the cheaper iPhone eat at the iPhone's pie and consume the market?

If they release a new, cheaper iPhone model next to their flagship model then yes, it will outsell the flagship model on the same premise.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I still don't get it. Everyone wanted a big screened iPad when it originally debuted, now people want a smaller one. Yet, the original is still extremely portable.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
When I had mine, I loved the fact that I can use all my existing iPhone apps and did not need to purchase special HD versions.

Oh and it fitted perfectly in my jacket. Regular ipad, no.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I still don't get it. Everyone wanted a big screened iPad when it originally debuted, now people want a smaller one. Yet, the original is still extremely portable.

Who is everyone? The size of the iPad is the only reason I never purchased one. Well that and my bank account.

My bank account was too small, the iPad was too big. :D

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
I have a 64 GB LTE iPad Mini - cost was clearly not a constraint.

As a former iPad 2 and an iPad 3 owner - I can state clearly that I prefer the Mini for the following reasons.

Portability. iPad 2/3/4 portability sucked for me. It required I carry a bag for it - and was not that much smaller than my Macbook Air. So I tended to bring both or just the laptop. The mini can be stuffed in the front pocket of my Jeans - and fits in my Coat/jacket pockets, or often within a suit jacket pocket.

Size/Weight - I am an avid Kindle user (owned Kindle 1, 3, Touch and now a Paperwhite) - but I am finally using the iPad Mini for a lot of reading. Its light enough to be comfortable.

I was a heavy iPad user - but the mini has just spiked it waaay up. That being said - if I was in a 2 iPad family - one would be a regular (for home) and the other a mini (for out of home).

I am biased cause I am stuck with a blackberry for phone - so having the mini around a lot is great for me when I am out and about.

-Shaown

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad?

It's all about the stereo speakers. The Mini is stereo. Everyone wants stereo speakers. Who wants a $600 mono iPad, what is this, the 1970's? :p

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?
It's cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.