Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:57 PM   #26
madsci954
macrumors 68000

This explains why ST BYOD plan doesn't sell nano sims, just regular and micro. Sad I'm on a 4S, factory unlocked, right now and I want to get the 5S whenever it comes out and stay with ST. Now, I may consider going back with ATT. We'll see what happens when the time comes.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:28 PM   #27
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

i'd be smart to get a gsm version because of the resale value
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:45 PM   #28
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
This explains why ST BYOD plan doesn't sell nano sims, just regular and micro. Sad I'm on a 4S, factory unlocked, right now and I want to get the 5S whenever it comes out and stay with ST. Now, I may consider going back with ATT. We'll see what happens when the time comes.
cut the microsim to nano size....it will work in the 5
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:40 PM   #29
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
cut the microsim to nano size....it will work in the 5
I might go this route, but I'll need to order a sim cutter, I don't trust myself enough to cut my sim without one.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:16 PM   #30
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
No.

iPhone Configuration Utility doesn't do anything for MMS.
OK, so what do I need to do?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
I might go this route, but I'll need to order a sim cutter, I don't trust myself enough to cut my sim without one.
I went by one of those third party cell phone accessory stores in the mall and they punched my SIM for $5.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:28 AM   #31
Love2praiseHim
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 Straight Talk Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by packgrad2000 View Post
I was wanting to buy a GSM unlocked iPhone 5 and use it one Straight Talk. So, should I just buy it from Apple, and then can I still just buy the SIM from Straight Talk and cut it down? Does anyone know if you can just go to Walmart and get a SIM or does Straight Talk have to ship it to you? I just want to know the best way to get an unlocked iPhone 5 (GSM) on Straight Talk. Thanks.

I purchased an iPhone 5 from Wal-Mart for Straight talk and they told me the same thing that it was only for Verizon. So I tried my straight talk sim on it anyway and it works. It isn't locked to Verizon. Although I haven't been able to get my MMS to work but I can make calls, text, and thanks to unlockit.nz.co I can use the internet as well.
Love2praiseHim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:59 AM   #32
Dreamspiinner
macrumors newbie

Can I buy a Verizon iPhone 5 and activate it on the CDMA side if straight talk? Or do I have to get the official wal mart straight talk version?
Dreamspiinner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:08 AM   #33
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

Verizon iphone 5 will work just fine on straight talk.It's unlocked.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:03 AM   #34
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamspiinner View Post
Can I buy a Verizon iPhone 5 and activate it on the CDMA side if straight talk? Or do I have to get the official wal mart straight talk version?
You need to buy the official "Walmart" Straight Talk iPhone for it to work on the CDMA side.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Verizon iphone 5 will work just fine on straight talk.It's unlocked.
This only applies to GSM plans from Straight Talk, not CDMA.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:57 PM   #35
ZellersHT
macrumors newbie

Smile

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been answered already.....I get confused with this stuff.

My family is planning on switching to Straight Talk. We are currently on Verizon and our contracts will be up next month. My main concern is that my daughter has a iPhone 5 I think(I believe.....it is the last one that came out). I have been trying to find out if she will be able to use her iPhone on Straight Talk. The cell towers that are close to us are Verizon towers. Her phone is not locked. I really don't understand the sim card thing.

I spoke to Straight Talk and the person said that it will work if I get a sim card compatible with her iPhone. I am not sure how to know if it is compatible.

I keep noticing people saying about getting a sim card and cutting it.......which is really confusing me now. lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Mrs Zellers
ZellersHT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:24 PM   #36
dewthedru
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellersHT View Post
Hi everyone,

My family is planning on switching to Straight Talk. We are currently on Verizon and our contracts will be up next month. My main concern is that my daughter has a iPhone 5 I think(I believe.....it is the last one that came out). I have been trying to find out if she will be able to use her iPhone on Straight Talk. The cell towers that are close to us are Verizon towers. Her phone is not locked. I really don't understand the sim card thing.

I spoke to Straight Talk and the person said that it will work if I get a sim card compatible with her iPhone. I am not sure how to know if it is compatible.

I keep noticing people saying about getting a sim card and cutting it.......which is really confusing me now. lol Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly,
Mrs Zellers

it's just a size thing. the iphone 5 uses a nano sim card which is smaller than the other iphone sim cards. you just need to get a nano card (unlikely), have one cut down for you, or do it yourself.

btw, are you guys going to be using much data? i was throttled on straight talk after only using 850 meg of data in a month. apparently the "unlimited" data is only for browsing, not streaming movies or music. or watching youtube. or doing anything normal people user their smartphones for. be very very careful moving to ST.
dewthedru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:32 PM   #37
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellersHT View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you kindly,
Mrs Zellers
Straight Talk has 3 plans that are the same price ($45 per month) and come with unlimited talk, text, and web.

The best known plan uses AT&T towers. SIMs for this plan are no longer being sold.

The second SIM plan uses T-Mobile towers. SIMs for this plan are available from http://straighttalksim.com.

The third (and newest) plan uses Verizon towers. You need to buy a new iPhone from Straight Talk for this plan from http://iphone.straighttalk.com.

Last edited by bohbot16; Apr 17, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:41 PM   #38
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

There's so much misinformation and confusion let me clear it right up. The ONLY iPhone 5 you can get running on Straight Talk's $45 plan on VERIZON is the OFFICIAL one you purchase from Straight Talk or Wal Mart. You can't take one you purchased elsewhere and put it on there. Period. So yes the official ST iPhone 5 RUNS ON THE VERIZON NETWORK. It is 3G data ONLY, no LTE.

The ST iPhone 5 is FULLY SIM UNLOCKED. This means you could throw a Straight Talk BYOD SIM card in (cut to Nano size) and run this phone on AT&T or T-Mobile etc. You may have issues with MMS as would be typical with the BYOD thing and I'm not delving in to that here. Generally talk, text, and internet access are easy to get up and running, MMS is typically the hitch.

MMS and 3G data work just fine on the OFFICIAL ST iPhone 5 on the OFFICAL carrier (VERIZON).

It's also possible to provision the OFFICIAL ST iPhone 5 on a Verizon MVNO like Page Plus or NextG Mobile. This is not for the faint of heart but can be done.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 08:35 PM   #39
DLinkOZ
macrumors newbie

And why would you say you can't take your own unlocked iPhone 5 (such as an unlocked GSM handset) and put an existing ATT ST sim in it? I'm replacing my iPhone 4, which currently uses a ST sim on ATT, with an iPhone 5. I'll purchase an unlocked GSM phone, over the CDMA set directly from ST.
DLinkOZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 09:23 PM   #40
dewthedru
macrumors regular

Have you done research on the terrible issues folks are having with ST? I would highly suggest you don't go with ST until you do.

I have rarely been as angry with a company as I was with them. Throttled after 3 weeks and about 850m of data because I dared to stream music for a little while. Chastised and berated in terrible English when I finally got through to CS.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:39 PM   #41
DebbieT11
macrumors newbie

Question Newbie here.....

OK, so.... I'm thinking of using ST with my Verizon unlocked 4S phone for a few weeks when I come back to the states to visit. After hearing and reading about horror stories of being throttled for data usage, I'm concerned that me using the GPS function via Google Maps (my new best friend over here!) will land me in the same boat.

Should I be worried?? :dunno:
DebbieT11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 12:59 PM   #42
dewthedru
macrumors regular

Yes. Be worried. Use Net10 or something else instead
Old May 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #43
DebbieT11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
Yes. Be worried. Use Net10 or something else instead
Rats. Even if it's just for a few weeks? I'll be coming back home and swapping my sim cards out at the airport.....

Man. What a pain. I thought I had a solution to *not* temporarily turning my Verizon post-paid unlimited account back on for a month...... Net10, huh? Lemme start learning about that. Thank you, dewthedru - appreciate the assist.
DebbieT11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 02:27 PM   #44
dewthedru
macrumors regular

I had Straight Talk for 3 weeks and about 850meg before they throttled me.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:55 AM   #45
sracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
I had Straight Talk for 3 weeks and about 850meg before they throttled me.
I've been using Straight Talk with my iPhone 4 for a year without any problems. (other than the lack of visual voicemail) I occasionally use that much data over a 3 week period and no problems.

I don't say that to invalidate your experience, but to show that your experience is not universal to all Straight Talk customers.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 12:58 PM   #46
dewthedru
macrumors regular

I think the fact that I did the byop plan and was on AT&T made a difference.

And according to many of the threads I've been reading, ST has gotten much worse over the last couple months. I hope your experience continues to be good though.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:17 PM   #47
Alohakanalu
macrumors newbie

Angry Unlocked GSM iPhone 5 straight talk issues...

I own an unlocked iPhone 5 I use straight talk for $45 a month I cut my SIM to nano size using the template and a sharp pair of scissors, I am now using my iPhone 5 on the TFW (track fone wireless) network why isn't my internet working? Oh what's that straight talk??? You only support up to iPhone 4S on GSM? You want me to buy another phone in order to use internet or purchase an iPhone 5 from you on the CDMA (verizon) network? But what about my world ready unlocked iPhone 5? Grrrr, I'm leaving you straight talk, I am a world citizen and I demand a higher level of service. I have noted on my straight talk account that this is unacceptable. Oh wait there's a YouTube video that shows an iPhone 5 working on straight talk, all I have to do is update iOS 7... No, no, that didn't work either. I might end up switching carriers now, to tell you the truth I've been working at removing Walmart from my life for some time and this is the last thread they maintain on me soooo ******* you Walmart, I'm out.
Alohakanalu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 09:59 PM   #48
bks691
macrumors regular

I just wanted to add my two cents. I've had my daughter on the straight talk $45 plan for a long while. The first iPhone she used with them was the 3GS. After she wore that one out I gave her my old iPhone 5 and cut the sim down. The only thing that does not work right is mms. We've had zero problems with straight talk, she has reception everywhere she goes, fast respectable speeds and had never been throttled. Her friend has an "official" supported iPhone 5 on straight talk that uses Verizon's network and it's a slug! She has speeds of 2008 or slower.
bks691 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:04 PM   #49
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks691 View Post
I just wanted to add my two cents. I've had my daughter on the straight talk $45 plan for a long while. The first iPhone she used with them was the 3GS. After she wore that one out I gave her my old iPhone 5 and cut the sim down. The only thing that does not work right is mms. We've had zero problems with straight talk, she has reception everywhere she goes, fast respectable speeds and had never been throttled. Her friend has an "official" supported iPhone 5 on straight talk that uses Verizon's network and it's a slug! She has speeds of 2008 or slower.
Update to 7.0.3, I hope that helps as it helped others gain LTE and MMS support.

As for the friend she probably needs to switch phones to an official ST iPhone (no LTE though!) or maybe its possible to switch her to the GSM side?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:31 AM   #50
scotrinaf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohakanalu View Post
I own an unlocked iPhone 5 I use straight talk for $45 a month I cut my SIM to nano size using the template and a sharp pair of scissors, I am now using my iPhone 5 on the TFW (track fone wireless) network why isn't my internet working? Oh what's that straight talk??? You only support up to iPhone 4S on GSM? You want me to buy another phone in order to use internet or purchase an iPhone 5 from you on the CDMA (verizon) network? But what about my world ready unlocked iPhone 5? Grrrr, I'm leaving you straight talk, I am a world citizen and I demand a higher level of service. I have noted on my straight talk account that this is unacceptable. Oh wait there's a YouTube video that shows an iPhone 5 working on straight talk, all I have to do is update iOS 7... No, no, that didn't work either. I might end up switching carriers now, to tell you the truth I've been working at removing Walmart from my life for some time and this is the last thread they maintain on me soooo ******* you Walmart, I'm out.
Are you using a GSM phone or a CDMA phone? I have the new LTE card that I cut to Nano size for my previously AT&T (GSM) phone, and it works perfectly with LTE and MMS... Ordered the SIM card from Straight Talk.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone