Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
zipur
macrumors 6502

How to you enable Lyrics on Apple TV I need karaoke for parties!!!

I just picked two ATV's works great for movies, netflix and music.
BUT I need to see the Lyrics on my TV so we can play karaoke.
How do you enable this feature?
Do I need to jailbreak?
Should I have purchased a Google ROKU device.

I love my Apples but these little annoyances really annoy me:<

Can anyone offer an idea?
zipur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

try googling use apple tv for karaoke. hundreds of forum posts put there.
A friend of mine does it from his iPhone through AirPlay with the karaoke channel app.
The-Pro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Rokus aren't made by google, but anyway there's probably an iOS app that'll work. You can use airplay mirroring with it if necessary.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Stevi
macrumors member

There are a few YouTube contributors that offer free karaoke. Try doing a search there to see if there's anything you'd like.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:33 AM   #5
zipur
macrumors 6502

No. No no, the idea is for my own personal library. Which would be used in my circle of friends, Also from time to time I may just want to see what the heck they are singing. I really enjoy that while I'm on the MBP using Minilyrics. I just want it in all my apple equipment.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Pro View Post
try googling use apple tv for karaoke. hundreds of forum posts put there.
A friend of mine does it from his iPhone through AirPlay with the karaoke channel app.
I do t want to air play, it's a clumsy alternative. It just doesn 't make sense that it doable on iPhone and Not on Apple TV or iPad
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:43 AM   #6
bushido
macrumors 601

looks like u bought the wrong device then
bushido is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:29 AM   #7
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
It just doesn 't make sense that it doable on iPhone and Not on Apple TV or iPad
except that one has an app store, where anyone can develop an app, and one doesn't.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Jmhoey
macrumors newbie

Shop smart

One of the things that really irks me on these boards is people who complain Apple products don't do this or that, when they were never made to do those things. Pony up for a karaoke machine. Apple TV engineers did not set out to create a party device. It is a perfectly functional device that does everything it was designed to do. Maybe you should have researched products before dropping the cash on something blindly.

Each Apple product is designed for a purpose. If it doesn't fit your needs go buy something else. Stop complaining. If I need to move 2500 pounds of dirt I'm not going to run out and snap up a BMW coupe.
Jmhoey is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipur View Post
No. No no, the idea is for my own personal library. Which would be used in my circle of friends, Also from time to time I may just want to see what the heck they are singing. I really enjoy that while I'm on the MBP using Minilyrics. I just want it in all my apple equipment.

----------

I do t want to air play, it's a clumsy alternative. It just doesn 't make sense that it doable on iPhone and Not on Apple TV or iPad
From what i can tell from my brief research, the karaoke channel on the roku is subscription base and does NOT use your personal music. You must select from the providers music selection. So it'd seem the flexibility of airplay, as already suggested, is probably the best solution available on the market for what you are trying to do.

In fact I'm not finding many, if any, karaoke solutions for a set top box that uses your own music. You want to provide a link or something?
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzer View Post
In fact I'm not finding many, if any, karaoke solutions for a set top box that uses your own music. You want to provide a link or something?
If you can jailbreak (it's not an ATV3) and run XBMC and your karaoke music uses SSA subtitles (like the one at http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests...s_suzumiya.mkv ), then, you can play them just fine.

Of course, subs burnt into the video itself is even easier and doesn't require any jailbreaking or special app - thought of it?
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:32 PM   #11
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
If you can jailbreak (it's not an ATV3) and run XBMC and your karaoke music uses SSA subtitles (like the one at http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests...s_suzumiya.mkv ), then, you can play them just fine.

Of course, subs burnt into the video itself is even easier and doesn't require any jailbreaking or special app - thought of it?
True. Jailbroken. I was thinking more of commercial solutions. But, yes, jailbreaking would open up the possibilities.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:04 PM   #12
notjustjay
macrumors 603

One thing you can do is go to YouTube and search for a karaoke version of whatever song you are interested in. For example, here is a karaoke version of Gangnam Style.

You can then use AirPlay to send the video, lyrics and all, to your TV using your Apple TV.

Oops, I see that others have made these suggestions already. Well, sorry if it's not what you were looking for, but I think AirPlay is your best solution (only solution?) for the Apple TV.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13
zipur
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmhoey View Post
One of the things that really irks me on these boards is people who complain Apple products don't do this or that, when they were never made to do those things. Pony up for a karaoke machine. Apple TV engineers did not set out to create a party device. It is a perfectly functional device that does everything it was designed to do. Maybe you should have researched products before dropping the cash on something blindly.

Each Apple product is designed for a purpose. If it doesn't fit your needs go buy something else. Stop complaining. If I need to move 2500 pounds of dirt I'm not going to run out and snap up a BMW coupe.
A bit of an over dramatization, but I get your point. The thing is, this is such a small easy to activate feature that would enhance the features of ATV. That shouldn't be asking too much, but no worries I didn't intend to have a war just a question.
Looks like JB Is the answer.

Peace to you all.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 06:55 AM   #14
Harry Austin
macrumors newbie

Enable Lyrics on Apple TV

Well, for music, I tried Karaoke Sing2Learn mobile app on my Android. It was a beta release and showed great performance with accuracy in translation that can be seen as subtitles. As far as I know, the app will be in app stores this February with many integrated features for karaoke lovers and even those who want to learn English language. Try it and you will like it.

Harry Austin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:41 AM   #15
Ryndom
macrumors newbie

It's easy - and already there

Sound Hound sees the music you are playing, and gives you the Lyrics. I am mirroring my phone to the Apple TV, while playing music from that same phone through the regular music app. Sound Hound is open (and turned sideways). So often we try to make things complicated - that's really not the Apple Way - it just works, don't try so hard.

image above - but not showing up, here's a link http://cl.ly/image/0P2a1K2g2r1U

Last edited by Ryndom; Feb 21, 2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: trying to get picture to show up
Ryndom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 04:44 PM   #16
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryndom View Post
I am mirroring my phone to the Apple TV, while playing music from that same phone through the regular music app. Sound Hound is open (and turned sideways).
With such a setup, you should be able to see lyrics on regular Music app's screen mirrored to your big screen as well. Why use Sound Hound then?
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater