Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

mp4tools question regarding 2 5.1 ac3 tracks

I'm trying to convert an old school kung fu movie with 2 ac3 audio tracks. Would I need to create 2 seperate aac tracks to ensure that they play on any tv?

I know with 5.1 ac3 you need a 2 channel aac for it to play on any tv.

Also, in subler, would I just select one of the aac tracks as the default? Will there be any issues with playing audio with that many tracks or do I just need to change the alternate group on them?
DaGrandMastah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:35 AM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
I'm trying to convert an old school kung fu movie with 2 ac3 audio tracks. Would I need to create 2 seperate aac tracks to ensure that they play on any tv?

I know with 5.1 ac3 you need a 2 channel aac for it to play on any tv.

Also, in subler, would I just select one of the aac tracks as the default? Will there be any issues with playing audio with that many tracks or do I just need to change the alternate group on them?
Only need 1 AAC track set to default.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:27 PM   #3
DaGrandMastah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Only need 1 AAC track set to default.
But I need to create both language tracks as aac in order to ensure htey both play the ac3 when the connection is available?
DaGrandMastah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
But I need to create both language tracks as aac in order to ensure htey both play the ac3 when the connection is available?
I have never encountered your exact situation. I only do one language, english. But if you are playing only on an aTV and you are wanting to listen to either of the 2 AC3 tracks, I see no reason why you would need to have 2 AAC tracks.

Now, if you are wanting to watch (or ever think you might want to watch) the movie on something that is stereo (iPad, TV speakers, etc), then you would need an AAC track for each language.

You easiest solution is to transcode a single chapter in the format (single AAC or double AAC) and see if it works in your particular situation. Just transcoding a single chapter will be a pretty quick test to find out.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater