Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1
auzzuro
macrumors regular

Pixel quadrupling...super retina coming ....

Just saw this news ... I am quite excited soon super retina display going to kill super amoled...http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01...elquadrupling/
auzzuro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

The display of the iPhone 5 is already astounding. Why do we need better resolution?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
braddick
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack7 View Post
The display of the iPhone 5 is already astounding. Why do we need better resolution?
For the same reason explorers leave this planet to discover the unknown.
It is our quest to improve; to do better.
braddick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Knew it. Retina+
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:58 PM   #5
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
I agree. They are wasting time with the displays, there are a few other aspects of this phone that need re-examaning, not something thats already perfect.
ant the ninja is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:04 PM   #6
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Because the display can be even better.

Back in 2007, the non-Retina display was also astounding. Imagine we would have said "it's good enough now". We'd still have crappy viewing angles, crappy colors, low contrast, lower brightness, more reflections.

I can't wait until the day there are displays which can show images that look real.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post

Back in 2007, the non-Retina display was also astounding. Imagine we would have said "it's good enough now". We'd still have crappy viewing angles, crappy colors, low contrast, lower brightness, more reflections.
I can't wait until the day there are displays which can show images that look real.
Technically no, we wouldnt. Because we wouldnt know anything else/better. So It would still be astounding.

In all seriousness how much better could the retina display get thats visable to the human eye?
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:11 PM   #8
iSensei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzuro View Post
Just saw this news ... I am quite excited soon super retina display going to kill super amoled...http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01...elquadrupling/
HTC already has phones out with better quality displays. The S4 will have a revolutionary display as well. Retina is a term used and marketed by Apple for a display with a very high pixel density. In other words there is no such thing as a "Retina"...
iSensei is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:12 PM   #9
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
Technically no, we wouldnt. Because we wouldnt know anything else/better. So It would still be astounding.

In all seriousness how much better could the retina display get thats visable to the human eye?
Much better. The limit, I suppose, is when you can't distinguish an image show on a display between an image shown in real.

Also, there's still lots of work to do with the pixel density: I, and lots of others, for example, can still easily pick out the individual pixels on a Retina display.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:27 PM   #10
SocalMark
macrumors member

Now this would work great on an iPad mini.
SocalMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
itjw
Banned

Not innovative.

(it is, I just wanted to see what it feels like to never think anything is, no matter what they do... it's sad actually, very sad...)
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
madsci954
macrumors 68000

RIP Battery Life
madsci954 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
RIP Battery Life
Beat me too it.

Retina is perfectly fine for me. I'd rather see improved battery life and chassis design or other screen improvements other than increasing PPI or screen size.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:32 PM   #14
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Much better. The limit, I suppose, is when you can't distinguish an image show on a display between an image shown in real.

Also, there's still lots of work to do with the pixel density: I, and lots of others, for example, can still easily pick out the individual pixels on a Retina display.

And I still think someone needs to make a 4K phone. I can't for the life of me figure out why 4K isn't already a standard.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:47 PM   #15
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
And I still think someone needs to make a 4K phone. I can't for the life of me figure out why 4K isn't already a standard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Do you realize what 4K is? It'd damn near impossible to fit that into a phone anytime in the near future. It would also be hugely redundant at that resolution on such a small screen. The only thing it would benefit is the 10"+ tablets and computer monitors.

Also, just look at the prices of the projectors/monitors/cameras that already utilize that technology.

Last edited by vastoholic; Jan 15, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:50 PM   #16
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Do you realize what 4K is? It'd damn near impossible to fit that into a phone anytime in the near future. It was also be hugely redundant at that resolution on such a small screen. The only thing it would benefit is the 10"+ tablets and computer monitors.
We don't need any more itty bitty upgrades. We need something substantial, there's nothing holding us back. The guys at Apple already proved what is possible, I think the iPhone 5 is a test to see how far they could stretch the limits of a phone.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #17
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
For the same reason explorers leave this planet to discover the unknown.
It is our quest to improve; to do better.
Agreed. But if they keep improving, will we see a difference? There is only a limit to the human eye to distinguish pixels, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
I agree. They are wasting time with the displays, there are a few other aspects of this phone that need re-examaning, not something thats already perfect.
That's what I think. They could try for example work out NFC integration many people would like on the iPhone.

Quote:

I actually like the display as it is, although I have to agree with you there. Technology is all about innovation and improvement. So they won't stay by this "milestone", they will keep improving.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:55 PM   #18
robbyg
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzuro View Post
Just a few reasons why this would be a bad idea.

1) Your eyes cant see down to that resolution so there would be no visible difference. So whats the point?

2) The file sizes of Videos and streaming content would balloon four fold so the download speed would cause huge stuttering problems with streaming and suck up your memory on stored movies.

3) FPS on games plus movies would nose dive along with Battery life and a few other things like scrolling.

4) When you put together items 2&3 you end up back at item 1.
robbyg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:17 PM   #19
bonskovsky
Banned

I disagree that the resolution couldn't be better. You could look at a picture of flowers on these products, but somehow they just don't look believable like in real life.

Retina doesn't wow anybody.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:49 PM   #20
iRetired
macrumors 6502

From this article, it appears that the human eye is capable of 530 pixels per inch:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html

Based on a 120 degree of vision, the human eye can capture 576 megapixels of data.

All the math is in the article. It's a rather interesting read.
iRetired is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:59 PM   #21
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I disagree that the resolution couldn't be better. You could look at a picture of flowers on these products, but somehow they just don't look believable like in real life.

Retina doesn't wow me.
Fixed that for you. The resolution could be better, yes. It could always be better. But what you're recommending is overkill. 4K on a 4" screen, much less a 5 or 5.5" screen would be a waste of resources, a battery killer, and completely unnecessary on a mobile phone. Images will never look like real life until 3D imagery is perfected. You're always going to be looking at a 2D image on a screen and your eyes will instantly tell you it's not real.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:04 PM   #22
bonskovsky
Banned

I disagree, games could look more realistic. Just think of the power we could have if we were getting post XBOX360 quality on a iPhone. The possibilities would be endless.

I say go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRetired View Post
From this article, it appears that the human eye is capable of 530 pixels per inch:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html

Based on a 120 degree of vision, the human eye can capture 576 megapixels of data.

All the math is in the article. It's a rather interesting read.
Reading
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:33 PM   #23
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

While having a super retina display with an absurdly high pixel count would be really cool and all, I would prefer if Apple went with a 720p screen on the next iPhone. It'll line up really nicely with their new 16:9 aspect ratio on the iPhone 5. But I know Apple wouldn't go with 720p screen because it screws with all the currently established apps in the app store. And not to mention just by increasing the height of the iPhone 5 screen by a few pixels people were already getting their panties in a twist.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:45 PM   #24
bonskovsky
Banned

How can an iPhone be retina and NOT HD?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 PM   #25
Prime85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How can an iPhone be retina and NOT HD?
Retina and HD are both just marketing Terms. To be "HD" the resolutions would have to be either 19201080p or 1280720p. Even though the screen on the iphone looks better then every HD TV currently on the market and has a higher Pixel Density.

The people who claim they want 19201080p on a phone just want to brag about specs.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone