Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:14 AM   #76
ivtecDOu
macrumors 6502

I was once an Iphone user long before the majority on here had one, and last August I switched over to android and I don't think I will ever look back unless the Os changes and offers more for me. I understand that android isn't for everyone but I used my friends gs2 and was blown away at how much more I could do with it than just play games on it. Which was a huge factor that led me to not purchase an Iphone 5.
ivtecDOu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:49 PM   #77
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
Guess you missed the point. The screen lights up to notify you, very subtle and not blinding but def gets my attention without distracting me. Why would you use the LED flash in a dark car when the lockscreen lighting up would suffice?
Because they're not really concerned about functionality per se, they just crave something new and different for the sake of being different.
unobtainium is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:10 PM   #78
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Guess you missed the point. The screen lights up to notify you, very subtle and not blinding but def gets my attention without distracting me. Why would you use the LED flash in a dark car when the lockscreen lighting up would suffice?
LED notification light uses much less battery.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #79
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack7 View Post
Still, I stand by my opinion on the "feature" subject.
What features do you actually use on your phone then?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:24 PM   #80
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
A LED notification light remains flashing until the user acknowledges it. If I stepped away from my phone for a while and came back, I would see a subtle blinking from the LED. I would have missed the screen turning on as it only occurs once or twice depending on your settings.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am not glued to my cell phone and do not have the knee-jerk reaction to check my screen every few minutes. This is when an LED notification light does WONDERS. I have no interest in checking my phone every few minutes and instead rely on the subtle LED to tell me I've got a notification.

I find it the most useful when I'm at work. I step away from my desk all the time and set my phone away from easy access. I don't need to look at it until I know there's something wanting my attention.
Mxbzz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:26 PM   #81
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggsokk View Post
Not to mention that Siri is completely useless outside the US. And it's socially unacceptable because it isn't optimized. If Siri or similar services became viable options to not looking like a fool, society would be all over it.
I wouldn't say useless...I spent 5 weeks in Thailand and the Philippines and Siri worked great...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #82
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxbzz View Post
A LED notification light remains flashing until the user acknowledges it. If I stepped away from my phone for a while and came back, I would see a subtle blinking from the LED. I would have missed the screen turning on as it only occurs once or twice depending on your settings.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I am not glued to my cell phone and do not have the knee-jerk reaction to check my screen every few minutes. This is when an LED notification light does WONDERS. I have no interest in checking my phone every few minutes and instead rely on the subtle LED to tell me I've got a notification.

I find it the most useful when I'm at work. I step away from my desk all the time and set my phone away from easy access. I don't need to look at it until I know there's something wanting my attention.
so if you depend so much on a alert LED, why did you buy an iPhone?
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:54 PM   #83
Mxbzz
macrumors regular

Quote:
so if you depend so much on a alert LED, why did you buy an iPhone?
That's the thing. I didn't realize the convenience until I bought my Nexus 4. Prior to my Nexus 4, I only had iPhones from 3G to the 5. I was one of the people who didn't think a LED notification was useful until I had one.

Let me clarify and say the LED notification is not a deal breaker for me, but if I had the option to have it or not, you bet your ass I would want it.
Mxbzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:03 PM   #84
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
A used 4S still brings in more than a new S3 costs, do you really think this will change with the S4?
I said it would be possible and not that it will happen for sure. Don't forget that by the time the S4 comes out, the iPhone 5 will be over half a year old.
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:19 PM   #85
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philscbx View Post
SIIII
The roman numeral for 4 is IV. Just saying.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:08 PM   #86
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
You didn't make that clear by saying "open the contacts list and select the contact you want to use" which implies you exit the app, open the contacts app and scroll to find the contact you want to use - which is more longwinded than the method you're now saying you use
Sorry, my bad on that one then x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
What features do you actually use on your phone then?
For example, lockscreen camera shortcut.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:15 PM   #87
Philscbx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
The roman numeral for 4 is IV. Just saying.
Yep, should have known - with an L involved, one is among professionals -
Nice iPhone detail view- image1964.
Love the StoneHedge shot, 1595.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:41 PM   #88
AlexJaye
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Did you not read the post two posts below yours explaining how to turn on LED notifications in iOS 6?

----------

What features? The "feature" that automatically calls a friend who recently texted me when I lift my phone to my face? Why would I want that? What if I wasn't planning to call them and the feature was triggered by accident? Isn't it easier to just click "Call" from the text window? It sounds like a poorly conceived feature.

Except they don't, and they won't have such a feature in future products either because it's stupid and gimmicky.
Some of the "features" Apple has shoved into its recent products are laughable.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #89
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philscbx View Post
Yep, should have known - with an L involved, one is among professionals -
Nice iPhone detail view- image1964.
Love the StoneHedge shot, 1595.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:22 PM   #90
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Notification light is really useful for those that always miss their calls and messages because fo work (me)
One small feature I always wish they would add to the iPhone. Just a tiny, white light LED notification...something like the pulsating light on the MacBooks. Would come in handy to see missed calls and texts rather than having the whole screen light up to notify you.
sdilley14 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:43 PM   #91
l0gikb0mb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Coming from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy Note 2 myself, I find your assertions to be uninformed propaganda that makes me doubt you. Zooming in on the Note 2? Oh, you've never tried reading a webpage on the iPhone.......ZOOM! ZOOM! ZOOM!
Uh, the PPI is worse on the Note 2 not to mention the non-zoomed out website text is even smaller than iPhone's default. I found myself zooming in just as much in portrait.

I didn't call it better by any means, it's all my personal preference. And I thought Apple fanboys were bad.
l0gikb0mb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:05 AM   #92
ivtecDOu
macrumors 6502

I laugh at all the brainwashed apple people. "yeah I used my friends android device for 10 minutes, I don't like it because it was something new I didn't know how to use."
ivtecDOu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone