Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yes, I've heard of YouTube. My kids live on it. And it seems to me most of the content is still less than high-def. in fact, tons of it is showing at less than 480p...

Don't recall seeing lossless audio either...

My point is (and I guess I'll have to use an extreme, never happen, example to get through), if 400,000,000 North Americans are all streaming 1080p (or worse 4k) media, with lossless audio, for their nightly entertainment, will there enough bandwidth available for all of us to be online at once, streaming our arses off?

Right now: maybe, maybe not. But even Blu-ray doesn't do lossless uncompressed 1080p video.

I would, however bet on bandwidth becoming available as required.

You can get unlimited gigabit internet in Hong Kong for 30 bucks a month. Google is offering gigabit fibre to the home in some areas.

The core networks are powerful enough, and with fibre, upgrading the bandwidth as required is merely a matter of putting on more powerful transceivers and switching backplanes.

Codecs improve as CPU power improves, also.

In any case - I doubt you will see 4k video streams in the consumer market for quite a long time - and i seriously doubt you'll see a new optical media format to sell them on.

Why? Because hollywood, etc. want to be able to control the distribution of their content. If they can encrypt the video stream (properly this time, third time's a charm?) and have an hardware device at the endpoint de-crypt the data just before display (as HDCP was intended to do) then they will do so.

Shipping such encrypted content on optical media means that once the key is compromised, all bets are off. They can't discard the encryption key without breaking all the optical media players.

Streaming means that they could potentially encrypt every stream with a new key, and send a key update to the device (via firmware update) if required (because the device is internet connected)

The encryption benefits mean that whether or not it will be hard, big media will do what is required to ensure that the bandwidth is there, or that the content fits within the available bandwidth.

Last edited:

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
1) Thunderbolt is meant for power users & Professionals not so much consumers.

2) Only 4 devices?!?

All these are Thunderbolt enabled: Red Rocket Chassis from mLogic, Drobo mini, Buffalo Technology MiniStation Thunderbolt HD-PATU3, Promise Pegasus R4, LaCie 2big 6, G-Technologies G-RAID Thunderbolt 8 GB, Elgato Thunderbolt SSD 240 GB, Seagate GoFlex Desk Thunderbolt, Western Digital My Book Thunderbolt Duo, BlackMagic ultraStudio 3D Capture, Matrox MXO2 LE Max, AJA io XT, Thunderbolted Intensity Extreme, ATTO ThunderStream SC 3808D, Drobo 5D, Matrox DS1 Thunderbolt docking station, Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro & Echo ExpressCard, Sonnet Echo Express SE, Sonnet xMac mini Server.

Soon to be released: Belkin Thunderbolt express dock.

Probably more in development.

3) Intel will eventually put them in PC's, which some are already have them.

Acer's Aspire S5 ultrabook, Lenovo's ThinkPad Edge S430, Asus's G55 gaming laptop

4) Mac Mini

Thunderbolt dead? Its only just started.

Not to mention that ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI Intel PC Motherboards now offer Thunderbolt on-board.

http://www.asus.com/Search/?SearchKey=Thunderbolt

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Extreme6TB4/

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/306/images/thunderbolt.html

http://mc3.msi.com/page_features_thunderbolt.php

The latest rumor is that AMD based motherboards are getting Thunderbolt, as well.

News of items certified with Thunderbolt:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/news/press

Last edited:

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
well one good thing about having thunderbolt in a non 3.0 usb mac computer that started having thunderbolt i would gladly pay belkin the price it is wanting for its dock when it finally comes out to get usb 3.0 and firewire and ethernet with the thunderbolt port on it for daisy chaining shut i would if i had the retina macbooks or even the new imacs as i have 2 23 in monitors i would love to use and a western digital mybook studio 2 running firewire. i will probably do that when i can get a imac 21

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
You are talking about problems that are at least 5 years way. Thunderbolt is out now.

Most of my buddies shoot at 4k resolution right now. They have 4k TVs out too. Shooting at 4k today is the norm because you have a lot of info to work with. speaking as a professional user these problems exist today. Most of my friends use PCs for video editing (Avid) now and use USB3 for imports and still go off and make lunch on imports.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Your issue of storage is also a reason for the decline of optical media:

- if i purchase, i don't need to store it, don't need to worry about damage and am less worried about physical theft of my collection
- if i rent, i don't need to worry about late fees due to failing to return - the media simply expires x days after rental

You can get decent high def video over 4-6 megabit. Sure blu-ray is better, but for most people, even DVD is "good enough".

For me, the convenience of streaming or downloaded media far outweighs the marginal quality improvement by keeping optical media around.

I suspect I'm not alone.
Here we go on the subject of "physical media is dead", again.
Same people who will tell that "dvd is good enough for the most" also tell us that "usb3 is not good enough for the most, they need tb"... :p

Did you know that there are more bd-movies sold all the time?
DEG wants money for numbers now, but I guess this year there will be sold about 500 000 000 bd-movies in North America alone. Over billion bd-movies already sold!

Physical bd-movie is totally different product than "digital". "Digital" is mostly subscribed streaming". This is for people who just want to watch something. You can't control the library in any way. Titles come and go. You can't sell or loan or give as a present any titles in "digital". And when you stop paying, your "library" vanishes.

I do use Netflix, but those movies I want to be able to watch whenever I want and at highest quality feasible, I own as bd.
And I don't worry about damage to the bd-disc. It will last as long as I will.
Btw, can your offspring inherit your online itunes library?

People who rely on online content should be grateful for those who buy physical copies. Think if those 500 000 000 bd's bought yearly in North America would be downloaded! Nobody could watch anything from the net!

foxnews1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Oh good, let's see :

- FiberChannel
- ECC Memory
- Server Blades
- iSCSI over Ethernet
- GBICs
- LoM
- NUMA
- Cray, The SuperComputer company

I could go on, but at this point, I think you get the point that you're in over your head. Consumers don't drive all success in the technological, IT, computing fields. Thunderbolt doesn't have to succeed in the consumer market to be a success. That Apple is implementing it in consumer level machines does not mean it is intended as a consumer level technology, nor that its designed in a way to reflect consumer level pricing.

I was not clear on my questions. I meant which retail consumer tech produced by retail consumer company that succeeded without consumer embracing it?

That Apple is implementing it in consumer level machines does not mean it is intended as a consumer level technology, nor that its designed in a way to reflect consumer level pricing
are you writing a business model for Apple? Apple products is for retail consumer and they don't care if retail consumers buy into the tech? Apple is here to make money. They don't spend R&D just to make it cool and unprofitable.
Consumers don't drive all success in the technological, IT, computing fields.
I did not make generic statement. We are talking about Apple and its products here.

I could go on, but at this point, I think you get the point that you're in over your head
stop putting others down just to show how smart you are. it just makes you look the opposite.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I agree 4K display is the primary end user use case for TB and where 10GigE (Cat6e) also suits the need. HDMI currently supports 4K. Apple persued Light Peak with Intel to get past the I/O bottleneck using a capacity that already exists in every board. PCIe. This is a facility that may be an element of the next MacPro to allow better graphics and display expandability, as well as AppleTV next to facilitate multi-room HD (1K) and main room 4K. The main benefit to the connection method is it will be adopted by a mass consumer manufacturer, so whether you need it or not it is readily available.

I'm not sure about the practical throughput of 802.11ac or ad but it is probably close too. At pretty short range like no more than 50-100 feet in real world installs.

On a side note, Sony is in the process of converting its more popular titles to 4K right now, so they know something. I doubt they plan theatrical re-releases. I saw Lincoln last month on a traditional theatrical screen in 4K. It was not pixelated.
6-21-15:
Newsweek is one of many outlets to report that Wikileaks' latest dump is a trove of Sony's company emails and other documents that consists of even more individual pieces than the 200,000-plus leaked in April. Included, says the Newsweek story, are "276,394 Sony Corp. communications, including email, travel calendars, contact lists, expense reports and private files." One interesting tidbit revealed by the documents thus revealed, spotted by Apple Insider, is that "Apple requested [from Sony] 4K content for potential digital distribution and on-demand services testing nearly two years ago, suggesting the company has been exploring ultra high-definition streaming for some time."

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.