Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
avillabon
macrumors newbie

Stream itunes library to iPad

Is there any way to stream the contents of my itunes library to my iPad? When i say stream i dont mean over the internet but just over my wifi network.. My music and video collection is quite extensive and i dont want to be syncing different content all the time if there is a way for me to acces it.

The reason i ask is because i just download the "remote" app from apple where i can control the itunes of my computer but i cant get the content to play on my ipad... just wondering

thanks

alex
avillabon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:54 PM   #2
mac jones
macrumors 68040

OFF TOPIC:

I don't have the answer to that.

The reason I'm posting is I thought i'd make the suggestion to use iMatch as this forever freed me of this sort of thing, when I found myself continioulsy asking questions like this.

I play music and watch videos, and never, ever, have to think of where the hell they come form. As a matter of fact, I have pushed it all so far out of my mind I don't know where anything is. I do see the little cloud icon, so I guess that's where, right?, something in the sky?

Anyways, You might want to look into that (payed) service.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:56 PM   #3
avillabon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac jones View Post
OFF TOPIC:

I don't have the answer to that.

The reason I'm posting is I thought i'd make the suggestion to use iMatch as this forever freed me of this sort of thing, when I found myself continioulsy asking questions like this.

I play music and watch videos, and never, ever, have to think of where the hell they come form. As a matter of fact, I have pushed it all so far out of my mind I don't know where anything is. I do see the little cloud icon, so I guess that's where, right?, something in the sky?

Anyways, You might want to look into that (payed) service.
It's tempting indeed But since I work from home I hope I can just stream it over my wireless network. Thanks for the advice though!

Alex
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:00 PM   #4
zepman
macrumors regular

Yes, via Home Sharing.

Music app -> More -> Shared

The computer and the iOS-device have to be on the same network and iTunes must be running.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:17 PM   #5
avillabon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepman View Post
Yes, via Home Sharing.

Music app -> More -> Shared

The computer and the iOS-device have to be on the same network and iTunes must be running.
AWESOME!

I got movies and music to work!!.. However, i cant find where to play podcast episodes. Is this not available?

Thanks a bunch!

Alex

EDIT: I just opened movies again and now the "shared" tab is gone!! Not sure what to do.

EDIT 2: Lol! Now music isnt working either... It was working not 2 mins ago. Ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillabon View Post
AWESOME!

I got movies and music to work!!.. However, i cant find where to play podcast episodes. Is this not available?

Thanks a bunch!

Alex

EDIT: I just opened movies again and now the "shared" tab is gone!! Not sure what to do.

EDIT 2: Lol! Now music isnt working either... It was working not 2 mins ago. Ideas?
did you close iTunes on your computer?

If you did then the content will not be accessible.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
avillabon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra7k View Post
did you close iTunes on your computer?

If you did then the content will not be accessible.
nope
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:07 PM   #8
zepman
macrumors regular

Sadly there're some bugs in iOS 6 that makes Home Sharing very unstable at the moment.

Try toggle Home Sharing on and off by delete and re-enter your Apple-ID in Stettings -> Music to get it working again. Quitting and relaunching the apps might also help.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:43 PM   #9
avillabon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Sadly there're some bugs in iOS 6 that makes Home Sharing very unstable at the moment.

Try toggle Home Sharing on and off by delete and re-enter your Apple-ID in Stettings -> Music to get it working again. Quitting and relaunching the apps might also help.
I switched to airplane mode and then back to wifi, music and videos work. Can it stream podcasts as well? Cant find a way to do it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:07 AM   #10
zepman
macrumors regular

It seems like they moved Podcast to its own app in iOS 6. The new app does not support Home Sharing.

You might be able to get Podcast back to the Music/Video app if you remove the new Podcast app form your iOS device.

See this thread for more info.

(If you had Googled "podcast home sharing" that tread would have been your first hit.)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:06 PM   #11
avillabon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It seems like they moved Podcast to its own app in iOS 6. The new app does not support Home Sharing.

You might be able to get Podcast back to the Music/Video app if you remove the new Podcast app form your iOS device.

See this thread for more info.

(If you had Googled "podcast home sharing" that tread would have been your first hit.)
perfect! thanks for the link!

Alex

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps