Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Just gonna bullet out some of the main points of why this move makes sense to me, the main thread is blown out of control. I think the plan would be to replace the 'low-end slot' when the 5s comes out, so the three main price points would be '5L'(new lowend), 5, and 5S. No old phones whatsoever.

• The 4S is actually kind of expensive to make. They could improve margins on their cheapest phone, or target an attainable no-contract price.
•*Standardize all models on the taller screen faster
•*Standardize all models on lightning connector faster (dump the 30-pin)
•*Pick and choose which internals to upgrade rather than sell a phone that's 2 years old through and through

I think they've reached a unique crossroads where they see it advantageous to scrub out some older tech. Every year they sell a phone with the old screen size and connector is another year those specs linger on and have to be supported. At the end of the day you'll have all phones with the same screen and connector, varying degrees of speed/camera quality/etc, and a lower-quality shell option for the low end similar to how they used to handle the macbooks.

I'd expect one major missing feature from the low-end model so that everyone can gripe that Apple is ripping them off.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Makes sense to me, especially the bit about standardising Lightning. That's partly why I find it odd that the iPad 2 is still available (especially with the iPad mini introduced).

Plus, I'm finding myself using my phone less and less and my iPad and Mac more and more, so I would appreciate there being a lower-end iPhone when I eventually come to replacing my 5.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Two lines of iPhone are probably prudent in the environment of the free Android phone. I still want glass and metal, so I hope Apple continues to produce those.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Sure, all that makes sense for just letting the iOS ecosystem thrive SLIGHTLY more than it already is, but I still think Apple's R&D would be better spent on fixing Thunderbolt so it's actually useful.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Makes sense to me, especially the bit about standardising Lightning. That's partly why I find it odd that the iPad 2 is still available (especially with the iPad mini introduced).

Plus, I'm finding myself using my phone less and less and my iPad and Mac more and more, so I would appreciate there being a lower-end iPhone when I eventually come to replacing my 5.
Education market push.

Text book sized screen.

Low cost, becoming standardized for IT personnel and purchasing departments. Think of it... like Mozilla's ESR (Extended Support Release) version.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I don't think anyone would buy a cheap iPhone. It's the silliest rumor I've ever heard.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Even like a little prepay iPhone you could buy at Walmart? Why would anyone want a cheap phone?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If it doesn't feel or function like an iPhone there is no point. If its cheap but lacking compared to similar priced phones, still no point. Apple won't do this as they can just sell the older phones as try do now. Why would they make a new iPhone 3GS or 4 specs phone?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
How much cheaper can Apple make the iPhone exactly? The new iPod touch with the same screen and weaker internals is $300 (and that doesn't include cellular radio). Let's say Apple sells an iPhone based the Touch and adds a cellular radio for $350 or $400 (note: these prices aren't far off from iPhone 4 off-contract by the way). Those prices are still too high: Nokia and others sell smartphones off contract for $200-$275.

I don't get how Apple can make such a cheap off-contract smartphone. They want the margins.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What purpose would a cheap iPhone serve? Who would buy it? Lol.
Apple's bottom line.

The people who buy iPhone 4 and 4S now. The $0-99 price people.

The 4/4S and 5 probably have some premium costs associated with manufacturing, even if older tech.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apple's bottom line.

The people who buy iPhone 4 and 4S now. The $0-99 price people.

The 4/4S and 5 probably have some premium costs associated with manufacturing, even if older tech.

Yeah but those were once premium Apple products. So at the time, Apple invested all this money in equipment, machines, parts for its flagship iPhone; now, they they can continue selling years later (at a cheaper price) without having to reinvest in new equipment/machines/ parts. Plus this methods really helps to due economies of scale of such a product.

Same thing with the iPhone 5, they already have all these custom machines; nothing would be cheaper than to continue selling the iPhone 5 for the next couple years. They would be able to truly milk their investment.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
What do you get when you try to make a cheaper iPhone 5, an iPhone 4S, what do you get after that? An iPhone 4, then a 3GS.

What do you get after that? An iPod touch.

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
I don't see Apple going down this road. Apple is known for producing quality products with amazing design not cheap plastic Obama phones!

robbyg

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
If Apple makes a cheap Iphone it will be their biggest mistake to date.
This kind of thinking has not worked well for high end producers in the past. I remember when the Porsche 924 came about under the same circumstances of Sagging sales and a need for an affordable Porsche. This led them to make the 924 and later the 944.

While the 924 and 944 ended up being great sellers for Porsche it forever removed the synonym that (Porsche = great Quality) and that hurt them badly over the long run.

Apple is Top Dog right now for quality and design and everyone likes to pee on the Top Dog because it gets them noticed. Apple just needs to keep doing what it doing and don't listen to any of the comments like cheap phones and 4.5" screens and an open OS etc.

All of these things are already in the Android domain and if Apple starts to let Android lead them by the nose then Apple might as well pack it up and get out of the phone market now because Google will beat them if this match gets down to who can make the cheapest phone.

IMHO Apple needs an even higher end phone, like a $1200 Kick butt phone with 1000 limited serial numbers, a better screen, a Titanium body and some other extra wow features. That would be the phone that bears the Apple torch.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple has NEVER gone after the budget price market for ANY of its products. No reason to believe they will now with a cheap iPhone.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
I'm not talking about a 'cheap' phone, just a phone that is cheaper than the 5. If they can produce a phone that is on par with the 4s spec wise but costs apple less to produce it, I think they'll seize the opportunity to standardize screens and connections across the line.They may pass the savings on to the consumer, they may keep it for themselves.

Nobody really knows but Apple whether it saves them more money to continue to run a streamlined production line of the premium 4s or to set up a new lower cost derivation of the 5 production. The OP basically assumes the latter is the case.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Why not just get a dumb phone if you use iPad ?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
How much cheaper can Apple make the iPhone exactly? The new iPod touch with the same screen and weaker internals is $300 (and that doesn't include cellular radio). Let's say Apple sells an iPhone based the Touch and adds a cellular radio for $350 or $400 (note: these prices aren't far off from iPhone 4 off-contract by the way). Those prices are still too high: Nokia and others sell smartphones off contract for $200-$275.

I don't get how Apple can make such a cheap off-contract smartphone. They want the margins.

Remember the iPod touch is 32GB for $300. This iPhone will probably start at 8 or 16GB.

I still think this is strange though. You want a cheap iPhone? Get an old one. You want prepaid? Get an unlocked one.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Good promotion for technology

i think it can better promote the Apple's product to the world, and speed up the new mobile technology, good news for us.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Why not just get a dumb phone if you use iPad ?

I use the iPad quite a lot, but I still can't stand to any other phone but an iPhone. It's an essential part of my day-to-day life now.

I love the iCloud integration, ease of use and huge capability that the iPhone has. I don't always have my iPad with me, but I do have my iPhone all the time.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Apple has NEVER gone after the budget price market for ANY of its products. No reason to believe they will now with a cheap iPhone.

i agree, Apple will NEVER make a budget price product, its now they do business. However they did create thinner and cheaper Macbooks and iPads which sell very well. These products are still classed as "premium" end despite costing significantly less than Macbook Pros and Retina iPads.

Look at a 16GB iPhone 5, in the Uk its £529 from Apple. That is ALOT of money for a phone. Then take a look at the new iPod Touch, a beautiful piece of kit. Thinner and lighter than an iPhone 5 with decent specs. If they released that iPod with less storage and full phone capability it would decimate the mid range handset market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.