Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
HTC already has phones out with better quality displays. The S4 will have a revolutionary display as well. Retina is a term used and marketed by Apple for a display with a very high pixel density. In other words there is no such thing as a "Retina"...

Not a popular post I'm sure, but it is true. The HTC One X has the best quality display on the market. It is better than the iphone 5 display.
I do not know why HTC has such a poor market share, but it is NOT b/c their phones suck. They are the best engineered phones on the market today. The One X is tough as nails and bests the iPhone 5 in many areas.

Do we need retina + resolution? Nope

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Agreed. But if they keep improving, will we see a difference? There is only a limit to the human eye to distinguish pixels, right?

1) Your eyes cant see down to that resolution so there would be no visible difference. So whats the point?

I think there's a difference between discerning pixels and discerning quality. For example, I can't see individual pixels on my 1366x768 TV from across the room. But I'm sure I would notice the increase in picture quality if it transformed into a 1080P or 4K TV.

Although I agree that there are other areas of the iPhone that should be improved first, Apple has yet to reach the pinnacle of screen quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.