Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 AM   #26
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
You could and should say the same for the up vote. It's no different.
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.
GGJstudios is offline   2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:56 PM   #27
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?

The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.
Tilpots is offline   4
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:58 PM   #28
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?
Classic example why an explanation is needed when you disagree with a post. ^ Thanks! You proved my point quite well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
It's clapping with one hand.
My brother does that quite well, and it's loud, too!
GGJstudios is offline   1
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:36 PM   #29
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?
That depends entirely on context, and when it's not clear, the member can write a response instead of just clicking the +1 button.

Quote:
The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.
I hear that you don't like it, but that's the way arn has decided to do it. There's already been quite a bit of discussion, and there are a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.
annk is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #30
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.
I would quite like a thanked feature like many other sites have (on top of like/upvote).
__________________
www.charlieegan3.com
charlieegan3 is offline   3
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Classic example why an explanation is needed when you disagree with a post. ^ Thanks! You proved my point quite well!
See, a negative vote would have sufficed, but now I risk calling you a name for you being, well, you. -1

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
I hear that you don't like it, but that's the way arn has decided to do it. There's already been quite a bit of discussion, and there are a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.
Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.
__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is offline   2
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:06 AM   #32
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.
I spoke out in explanation of it, because the site owner has decided, after a huge amount of member input, that this is the way it is. Members can of course post to voice their displeasure about anything on the site, and in that case, a mod or admin may reply to let you know why whatever you bring up, is as it is.

But at some point, when there's been a huge amount of discussion about a forum feature, both in Site and Feedback threads and backstage, and something has been changed as a result, there just isn't much point in beating the dead horse. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it, just that it might not have much effect.
annk is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:23 PM   #33
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.
That is probably good/necessary for you, but not good for the (mostly friendly) online communities (not only MR). Less egoism is the key.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 PM   #34
milo
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Here's a suggestion - allow both up and down voting, but don't show tallies for either, and only use them to determine the top rated comments in that view.

Along the same lines, how about limiting top rated comments so they don't show up there until they have a certain number of votes? It's annoying to see some articles showing some fairly crackpot "top comments" showing with just one vote, just because either there aren't many comments yet, or few have received votes at that point.
milo is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 AM   #35
-aggie-
macrumors P6
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Wasn't this dead horse beaten enough in the original thread about this subject? No one ever mentioned voting period until arn implemented this "experiment" a year or so ago.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   2
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:49 PM   #36
grahamperrin
macrumors 68020
 
grahamperrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 174 Dead Stoat Road
2012-07-12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
… The voting system is still very primitive here so far. Showing the tally per user and the highest ranked people makes a lot of sense, and is an obvious step. But it will also instantly ignite a lot more drama with people competing for high marks. For various reasons we haven't devoted many development resources to this feature so far, but are looking into it again.

Removing the downvote was a very small experiment as we start looking into building out the system. …
Today in 'Forum Migration: Upvotes and Retroactive (lack of) Anonymity':

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
I still don't know how you can put a like/up vote button without having a dislike/down vote button. A single button either way is absolutely pointless. Why should those in agreement be able to simply click a button but those who disagree must start an argument and write an entire post?

Either have a system that reflects both options or get rid of it entirely.
Tilpots, if you see no point then please ignore the up-vote feature; ignore the 'Like' feature when the forum migrates to XenForo.

Allow these features to be used by people who do see the point. Thanks.
grahamperrin is online now   0
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:26 AM   #37
Zxxv
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
I like the down vote. It helps me to know when I'm talking ****.
Zxxv is offline   1
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:10 AM   #38
grahamperrin
macrumors 68020
 
grahamperrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 174 Dead Stoat Road
Down-voting without polite comments

The links to Stack Exchange discussions of down-votes without comments have gone.

Instead of Stack Exchange points of reference, here's an Ars Technica example of how a person can react:
"… I take 20 minutes to give detailed instructions for how some guy can solve his problem, and three people think this is worth downvoting? WTF is wrong with you people? Is it considered uncool these days to actually try to help another human being? …"
I could as easily spend my time in Ars Technica Open Forum, with down-voting, but I prefer to spend it in MacRumors Forums.
grahamperrin is online now   0
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 PM   #39
Zxxv
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamperrin View Post
The links to Stack Exchange discussions of down-votes without comments have gone.

Instead of Stack Exchange points of reference, here's an Ars Technica example of how a person can react:
"… I take 20 minutes to give detailed instructions for how some guy can solve his problem, and three people think this is worth downvoting? WTF is wrong with you people? Is it considered uncool these days to actually try to help another human being? …"
I could as easily spend my time in Ars Technica Open Forum, with down-voting, but I prefer to spend it in MacRumors Forums.
maybe his answer was pants.
Zxxv is offline   2
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:32 PM   #40
grahamperrin
macrumors 68020
 
grahamperrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 174 Dead Stoat Road
Down-voting without comments too often creates unknowns and confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
maybe his answer was pants.
Three pants? Would the writer have been less offended if two pants had been applied? Which panty part of the pants answer was most panty?

I can smile :-) whilst writing that type of thing, and I assume that there was nothing pants about his answer, but I also empathise with the writer's anger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
maybe …
That's one of the greatest risks of down-voting without comments: things become unknown and/or misconstrued. Confusion and frustration; destruction of goodwill; and so on …
grahamperrin is online now   1
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:40 PM   #41
Zxxv
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamperrin View Post
Three pants? Would the writer have been less offended if two pants had been applied? Which panty part of the pants answer was most panty?

I can smile :-) whilst writing that type of thing, and I assume that there was nothing pants about his answer, but I also empathise with the writer's anger.



That's one of the greatest risks of down-voting without comments: things become unknown and/or misconstrued. Confusion and frustration; destruction of goodwill; and so on …
I tried to downvote your post but I couldn't find the button

That's the trouble with downvotes, when you may have said something a while back and a grudge is held.
Zxxv is offline   0
Old Dec 24, 2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Tilpots
macrumors 601
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
I tried to downvote your post but I couldn't find the button
You were not the only one, but the lack of a button would lend you to believe otherwise.
Tilpots is offline   0
Old Dec 25, 2014, 01:57 AM   #43
Zxxv
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
You were not the only one, but the lack of a button would lend you to believe otherwise.
I thought it might be like supermario with the invisible blocks.
Zxxv is offline   0
Old Dec 25, 2014, 07:35 AM   #44
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
[MOD NOTE]
Like very other voting thread, we're at a point of beating a dead horse. This thread was resurrected after the discussion has long been settled.

Closing.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   1


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Tags
downvoting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bring back downvoting button Confuzzzed Site and Forum Feedback 1 Jul 17, 2012 11:10 AM
Voting system: remove downvoting please leman Site and Forum Feedback 1 Jul 10, 2012 10:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC