Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 AM   #26
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
You could and should say the same for the up vote. It's no different.
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:56 PM   #27
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, it is different. It is evident why someone agrees with a post: because they agree with what was stated. It is not evident why someone disagrees. Did they disagree because they don't like the poster? Because something in the post wasn't factual? If so, what part wasn't factual and what is the correct information? Because it challenges their personal opinion? An opposing opinion calls for an explanation. To explain why you agree is usually redundant.
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?

The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.
Tilpots is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:58 PM   #28
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
No, I disagree. Which part of the post did you agree with? Why? Does it confirm some belief you also hold. Do you just like that poster? Did you think what they said was funny?
Classic example why an explanation is needed when you disagree with a post. ^ Thanks! You proved my point quite well!
Quote:
It's clapping with one hand.
My brother does that quite well, and it's loud, too!
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:36 PM   #29
annk
Administrator

Quote:
That depends entirely on context, and when it's not clear, the member can write a response instead of just clicking the +1 button.

Quote:
The up vote alone is a cop out. Imagine the iTMS App Store with only five star ratings. It's pointless and absurd. It's clapping with one hand.
I hear that you don't like it, but that's the way arn has decided to do it. There's already been quite a bit of discussion, and there are a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #30
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Rather than downvoting I wish the site allowed personal notes under the username vs having the 6502 flotsam.
Then I could root out the trolls.
I would quite like a thanked feature like many other sites have (on top of like/upvote).
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Classic example why an explanation is needed when you disagree with a post. ^ Thanks! You proved my point quite well!
See, a negative vote would have sufficed, but now I risk calling you a name for you being, well, you. -1

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
I hear that you don't like it, but that's the way arn has decided to do it. There's already been quite a bit of discussion, and there are a lot of opinions on both sides of the fence.
Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:06 AM   #32
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Every argument you make for a positive could be made for a negative. It's the nature of it. Every where except here that is... And what I've seen is that this is not a final solution. It part of an "experiment." If you guys can still speak in favor of it, I will continue to oppose it.
I spoke out in explanation of it, because the site owner has decided, after a huge amount of member input, that this is the way it is. Members can of course post to voice their displeasure about anything on the site, and in that case, a mod or admin may reply to let you know why whatever you bring up, is as it is.

But at some point, when there's been a huge amount of discussion about a forum feature, both in Site and Feedback threads and backstage, and something has been changed as a result, there just isn't much point in beating the dead horse. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it, just that it might not have much effect.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:23 PM   #33
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
That is probably good/necessary for you, but not good for the (mostly friendly) online communities (not only MR). Less egoism is the key.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 PM   #34
milo
macrumors 603

Here's a suggestion - allow both up and down voting, but don't show tallies for either, and only use them to determine the top rated comments in that view.

Along the same lines, how about limiting top rated comments so they don't show up there until they have a certain number of votes? It's annoying to see some articles showing some fairly crackpot "top comments" showing with just one vote, just because either there aren't many comments yet, or few have received votes at that point.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 AM   #35
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Wasn't this dead horse beaten enough in the original thread about this subject? No one ever mentioned voting period until arn implemented this "experiment" a year or so ago.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Tags
downvoting