Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Short update...
Just finished a compete ios 6.0.2 erase and restore via iTunes. Erased all of my data etc....leaving my brand new iPhone in basically the same state it was in when I bought it...Tried the weather app..."UPDATE FAILED". Turned on WiFi...worked fine.

So, those of you who were thinking that doing this would fix the issue, don't bother, because it does not.

Have an appt tomorrow with Apple Genius...but somehow I get the feeling that those of us who are having this issue will not find an answer.

Cheers,
joe

Thanks for the update, good to know a restore doesn't help. Let us know what h "genius" says.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008

Seems strange it woud be a carrier specific issue, but since wifi works I guess it makes sense. I'd love to figure it out, I'm using a 3rd party weather app for now, but I'd rather just use the stock one.

Machinegun

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Update: Weather app updated fine on my AT&T iPhone. It seems to update fine during "low traffic" times.

k9buddyjoey

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
As of 7:51 this AM...Weather app failing to show any data at all over LTE (AT&T). Only blank, blue weather page. WiFi fine. As I said in a previous post, I had this exact issue on my iPhone 4 (AT&T as well).
AT&T claims to have no complaints (surprise!). Apple store employee claims to have never heard of the issue (surprise!)...But here we are, in this technical thread among several others, all experiencing the same issue.
If this were an issue with iTunes/Facebook/Twitter...there would no doubt be an uproar so monumental, that a special commission would be set up by Congress to determine the culprit...and we all know where that would go...NO WHERE.

k9buddyjoey

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Okay, here is what happened today...
Went to Apple store for Genius appt regarding this matter, but before I went into Apple, I stopped in for a quick visit with AT&T, who has a store in the same mall.
I asked the AT&T guy if anyone had been in complaining about their iPhone weather app not updating..He said, "As a matter of fact, there was a woman in here yesterday having the same issue that you are talking about. The problem is not on our end though. Our LTE network is up and running. The problem is with Apple's software." End quote.
So, I headed into Apple for my Genius appt.
The tech ran some diagnostic tests on my phone, I told him all the things that I had done as well (including my numerous visits to AT&T). He tested my Sim card in 3 different phones. All weather updates failed. He responded that the problem lies with AT&T and not Apple because the Hardware on my iPhone 5 was fine (no mention of ios 6.0.2). I said "What am I suppose to do? I bought the AppleCare for my phone"...He shrugged his shoulders. I said, is YOUR phone on AT&T?" He said yes. I said "Does YOUR weather app work?"...He said, "I don't know, I don't use that app." (how many times am I going to have to hear that?). I said..."Well, launch your app"...he did...and it too FAILED.
As I predicted, a consumer who has spent lots of money, caught in the DEAD zone between two Corporate Giants, who BOTH have and are taking my money.
So there you have it. I have researched this, tried all of the suggested fixes,
visited both AT&T and Apple and I am in the same boat as where I started...but poorer.
As I said in a previous post, I work for an airline...and safety is top priority above and beyond all else. It wouldn't even come to mind to let one of our aircraft even leave the gate with a safety related technical issue.
When I head to work on Saturday, I shudder to think what people would think if I made the following announcement:
"Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome aboard our flight to Los Angeles. We are NEXT in line for the runway...just one of our Hydraulic
gauges doesn't work, BUT we don't use that gauge anyway!...enjoy the flight!"

cheers,
joe

Machinegun

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Update: 1:54 AM and the app updated fine. Strange how it updates late at night, but refuses to update during the afternoon or during busier hours.

Itsa Rourke

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
Same issues, but worse

Okay, here is what happened today...
Went to Apple store for Genius appt regarding this matter, but before I went into Apple, I stopped in for a quick visit with AT&T, who has a store in the same mall.
I asked the AT&T guy if anyone had been in complaining about their iPhone weather app not updating..He said, "As a matter of fact, there was a woman in here yesterday having the same issue that you are talking about. The problem is not on our end though. Our LTE network is up and running. The problem is with Apple's software." End quote.
So, I headed into Apple for my Genius appt.
The tech ran some diagnostic tests on my phone, I told him all the things that I had done as well (including my numerous visits to AT&T). He tested my Sim card in 3 different phones. All weather updates failed. He responded that the problem lies with AT&T and not Apple because the Hardware on my iPhone 5 was fine (no mention of ios 6.0.2). I said "What am I suppose to do? I bought the AppleCare for my phone"...He shrugged his shoulders. I said, is YOUR phone on AT&T?" He said yes. I said "Does YOUR weather app work?"...He said, "I don't know, I don't use that app." (how many times am I going to have to hear that?). I said..."Well, launch your app"...he did...and it too FAILED.
As I predicted, a consumer who has spent lots of money, caught in the DEAD zone between two Corporate Giants, who BOTH have and are taking my money.
So there you have it. I have researched this, tried all of the suggested fixes,
visited both AT&T and Apple and I am in the same boat as where I started...but poorer.
As I said in a previous post, I work for an airline...and safety is top priority above and beyond all else. It wouldn't even come to mind to let one of our aircraft even leave the gate with a safety related technical issue.
When I head to work on Saturday, I shudder to think what people would think if I made the following announcement:
"Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome aboard our flight to Los Angeles. We are NEXT in line for the runway...just one of our Hydraulic
gauges doesn't work, BUT we don't use that gauge anyway!...enjoy the flight!"

cheers,
joe

This is so frustrating, but thank you for saving me multiple trips to the dreaded apple store. I've been having the same exact issues with the weather app ever since I upgraded to the latest iOS software (6.X). Are you having similar network issues with other apps, most importantly your GPS features? I originally thought apple's new maps app was faulty, but even when I use google maps or mapquest, my phone is not locating me and the 3D GPS feature does not work at all when I am not in WIFI. Well, what's the point of GPS if I'm in a WIFI hotspot? Exactly. I first realized there was an issue when I went to the drive into Boston, which is a complicated city if you don't know where you're going. Basically, google maps will give me a location of somewhere remotely close to my current location (usually around 10 miles off, or so), but then as soon as I start navigation, it will not update. Mapquest simply tells me it cannot locate my device. Has anyone experienced this as well?

Important to note, I am also on the AT&T network and I've asked others who have Verizon and they don't seem to have an issue.

Please keep us updated if you find a solution and I will do the same.

Tneva

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
Investigating this, I came across a similar thread from Ireland--same issue, but their network provider is Meteor--from a year ago. Long story short, the problem ended up being with Meteor. Our issue may be with AT&T. Nonetheless, Apple and AT&T are partners, so each needs to man-up.

Last edited:

k9buddyjoey

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Update on the situation...
For those of you following this thread, I just wanted to give an update on what I have learned since my last post.
First, for those of you who think this problem may be a fault with your phone, I can say that this is not the case. I have erased the entire operating system from my phone twice, reinstalled, tested 3 separate phones with an Apple Genius, reset all settings, and the problem still persists.
I have been in contact with AT&T technical support. I told them of the problem and of course they started to instruct me to do all of the above AGAIN. I told them that I had done all of these things to no avail. They said that I had an "old" registration on my account and needed to "refresh" the settings. They did this. Problem still here.
The technician to whom I was speaking launched the weather app on his own phone which was running ios 4.xxx (YES, ios 4!) and his update failed as well.
Finally an AT&T technician experiencing the same issue...and on an iphone 4 with ios 4.
I told him about this thread among others. I actually sent him the link to this thread and told him to read it and forward it to AT&T's technical dept. He said that he would.
The question is...Will he? One can only take his word for it. Will it make a difference? Who knows?
To "Machinegun"...who has posted in this thread...You are indeed correct with your observation that the weather app will update over LTE/4G in the middle of the night during low traffic periods.
This leads me to my final question and observation...
How many of you on this thread have been grandfathered in
to AT&T's UNLIMITED data plan? It is a known fact that AT&T will THROTTLE
(slow down) data speed/consumption on the unlimited data plan. Perhaps this is why during the day (high traffic period) the app will not update???
And Tneva...I also have seen the thread regarding this issue with Meteor in Ireland...
Will keep everyone posted if I discover anything new. Please post here if you have the UNLIMITED data plan with AT&T and are also having this issue.
Thanks everyone...
Cheers,
joe

Last edited:

nanvinnie

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
I have the unlimited plan. And my app won't update over mobile data. Wifi works fine for me though. Odd...

jthiker

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Weather App and AT&T unlimited

Update on the situation...
For those of you following this thread, I just wanted to give an update on what I have learned since my last post.
First, for those of you who think this problem may be a fault with your phone, I can say that this is not the case. I have erased the entire operating system from my phone twice, reinstalled, tested 3 separate phones with an Apple Genius, reset all settings, and the problem still persists.
I have been in contact with AT&T technical support. I told them of the problem and of course they started to instruct me to do all of the above AGAIN. I told them that I had done all of these things to no avail. They said that I had an "old" registration on my account and needed to "refresh" the settings. They did this. Problem still here.
The technician to whom I was speaking launched the weather app on his own phone which was running ios 4.xxx (YES, ios 4!) and his update failed as well.
Finally an AT&T technician experiencing the same issue...and on an iphone 4 with ios 4.
I told him about this thread among others. I actually sent him the link to this thread and told him to read it and forward it to AT&T's technical dept. He said that he would.
The question is...Will he? One can only take his word for it. Will it make a difference? Who knows?
To "Machinegun"...who has posted in this thread...You are indeed correct with your observation that the weather app will update over LTE/4G in the middle of the night during low traffic periods.
This leads me to my final question and observation...
How many of you on this thread have been grandfathered in
to AT&T's UNLIMITED data plan? It is a known fact that AT&T will THROTTLE
(slow down) data speed/consumption on the unlimited data plan. Perhaps this is why during the day (high traffic period) the app will not update???
And Tneva...I also have seen the thread regarding this issue with Meteor in Ireland...
Will keep everyone posted if I discover anything new. Please post here if you have the UNLIMITED data plan with AT&T and are also having this issue.
Thanks everyone...
Cheers,
joe

Interesting thread - My husband and I are also experiencing this problem and are grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited plan. It would be great to know if we can remove the app from the home screen since it is not fully functional.

Cbgorbett

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
I have an iPhone 4S, boyfriend has 5. We are both on AT&T and weather app will not work for us either. "Update Failed". I am a Flight Attendant and use this weather app constantly. I am not on the unlimited data plan.
It does seem to show 'local' weather most of the time if that makes any difference.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I am on the grandfathered unlimited plan, but I never use enough data to get throttled. Yet it still won't work for me, I've tried slow periods like the middle ofth night and till get nothing unless I'm on wifi.

Tneva

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I have a 4S with software update 6.0.1 and on the 3G network with a 5GB plan, not an unlimited plan, and am well under the 5GBs at this time. I called AT&T today, too. The lady discussed it with her supervisor and agreed to investigate. She threw out another possibility: issue between AT&T and Yahoo!'s servers.

k9buddyjoey

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Thanks to everyone still following this thread and to all of your contributions.
Hopefully, together we will get this resolved.

Just received word on this Link that Apple Support is aware of the problem on the AT&T network and is investigating. Link posted 2 hrs ago...
http://www.iclarified.com/26676/app...update-properly-over-atts-mobile-data-network

Perhaps a fix will soon come.

Will let you know if anything new pops up.

Have a good evening everyone...
Ciao,
joe

Agilis

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
I am on AT&T and I am currently having the same issue as orignally reported. No results are found when adding new locations. Entering the City, State, Zip, or any combination of the 3, fails to return any results. Existing locations that I have saved fail to update. The only thing that seems to work is the weather for the current area I've been GPS located at.

I too am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. The weather app not updating because of some sort of bandwidth throttling does not make much sense because the throttling would be per account. For me, I hardly use any bandwidth, so I should not be throttled. The only thing I can think of is if throttling is the cause, AT&T is throttling the Yahoo service entirely for anyone who has a grandfathered unlimited data plan. If so, AT&T will be losing me when my contract is up.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I was hoping with the interest in this at Apple forums and iClarified that something would be resolved by now. I'm hoping something gets fixed soon.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
My Weather app is updating consistently even over LTE/3G now. Did att fix something? Did iOS 6.1 fix something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.