Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cedunn21

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2011
I've had unlimited data with Verizon since 2009 and I recently dropped to the 2GB plan when upgrading to the iPhone 5. I really couldn't justify spending 800 bucks for the phone.

I've been over my account usages since getting unlimited and I have used around 1GB of data per month. I think the most I've used is 1.5GB... So i figured I wouldn't really need unlimited since I have never taken advantage of it....

I keep connected to WiFi at home and only use data when I'm out.

I have never kept any push notifications off and my email has always been on PUSH. I also check FaceBook 2-3 times.. Twitter multiple times.. and occasionally read a few webpages while I'm out. Occasionally i watch a youtube video in the app or a video someone has posted to twitter or FB. I also play a few rounds of Angry Birds...

Just trying to give you a sense of my network usage to help you decide. In my case I really wasn't using unlimited and I feel like VERIZON will eventually shove everyone off unlimited (like others have said) so I went ahead and moved down to the 2GB.

I will say I am a little more paranoid now about using data and I have made a few adjustments to email and apps notifications to help conserve a little data.

Swannyy

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I take back what I said earlier about it depending on your usage. The other people were right, keep your grandfathered unlimited if you can. I canceled my preorder of a subsidized Iphone 5 w/ 2gb plan, and am staying grandfathered for now. The 5's data preference is having users that never touched 1 gb/month are now using over 1gb/day. even if they're on wifi.

DataGate is upon us.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
i'm in the same position you are in with being grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on my Iphone 4. My question is, if I buy the 5 at full price and have it linked to my account, will I automatically have unlimited LTE? Or does that addition require a new contract? My 2 year contract is coming to an end in 3 months...

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
i'm in the same position you are in with being grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on my Iphone 4. My question is, if I buy the 5 at full price and have it linked to my account, will I automatically have unlimited LTE? Or does that addition require a new contract? My 2 year contract is coming to an end in 3 months...

Since you are buying the phone full price, you won't need a new contract. However, I don't know if Unlimited data will stay forever at Verizon. Since you are out of contract in 3 months, there is no reason for Verizon to not change their policy on you after the 3 months.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
i'm in the same position you are in with being grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on my Iphone 4. My question is, if I buy the 5 at full price and have it linked to my account, will I automatically have unlimited LTE?

Yes. However, you will not have unlimited tethering unless that is added to your account for an additional $30/month. The shared data plans include tethering.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I've had unlimited data with Verizon since 2009 and I recently dropped to the 2GB plan when upgrading to the iPhone 5. I really couldn't justify spending 800 bucks for the phone.

I've been over my account usages since getting unlimited and I have used around 1GB of data per month. I think the most I've used is 1.5GB... So i figured I wouldn't really need unlimited since I have never taken advantage of it....

I have never kept any push notifications off and my email has always been on PUSH. I also check FaceBook 2-3 times.. Twitter multiple times.. and occasionally read a few webpages while I'm out. Occasionally i watch a youtube video in the app or a video someone has posted to twitter or FB. I also play a few rounds of Angry Birds...

Just trying to give you a sense of my network usage to help you decide. In my case I really wasn't using unlimited and I feel like VERIZON will eventually shove everyone off unlimited (like others have said) so I went ahead and moved down to the 2GB.

I will say I am a little more paranoid now about using data and I have made a few adjustments to email and apps notifications to help conserve a little data.

I only once went over 2GB in 4 years of owning an iPhone--and that was only because I moved and had to wait for an appointment to get my cable and home internet hooked up.

Since I got my iPhone 5, last month I burned 5GB of data and I'm at 2.5GB midway through my cycle now. Functions that were just too slow on my iPhone 4 are now completely usable--faster than wifi.

Even though I'm on AT&T's version of unlimited data and (therefore I'm throttled after 5GB)--it's still a better deal than dropping down to the 3GB plan and paying the same amount, having less data and a potential for overage charges. Right now I can blow past 5GB and not get any additional charges.

Phone subsidies for the major carriers are going to end in the next few cycles anyway and so if AT&T ends subsidies for unlimited data customers first I know that I'll pay full price for the next phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Made pretty much the same choices being a essentially the same situation.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I'm from Australia and didnt read your long paragraph. but i would kill to have unlimited! especially with lte you will want to use internet more.
you are holding a gold mine (from what ive heard)

If you consume over 3.5-4GB every month, then it is cheaper to pay the unsubsidized pricing every upgrade than pay per GB of data.

That said, I think you'll find over time your data usage will only increase, not decrease, so only you can make that decision.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
That said, I think you'll find over time your data usage will only increase, not decrease, so only you can make that decision.
Usage is a subjective matter and each person needs to assess their own usage and estimate future usage. Our usage hasn't drastically gone up since switching to LTE and adding an iPad and tethering. YMMV as with any subjective matter. Don't simply assume that LTE means more usage or that "you'll regret losing unlimited". The people making such blanket statements merely can't see past their own preferences and needs.

Consider you situation, needs/wants and do the math.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Usage is a subjective matter and each person needs to assess their own usage and estimate future usage. Our usage hasn't drastically gone up since switching to LTE and adding an iPad and tethering. YMMV as with any subjective matter. Don't simply assume that LTE means more usage or that "you'll regret losing unlimited". The people making such blanket statements merely can't see past their own preferences and needs.

Consider you situation, needs/wants and do the math.

http://www.cultofmac.com/191173/lte-iphone-5-will-double-ios-data-consumption-says-analysts/

http://blogs.informatandm.com/6386/...ces-are-priced-and-marketed-in-the-right-way/

Just a few. Point is, LTE will only increase or maintain data usage, not decrease it. And as mobile technology accelerates further, even if you stay on 3G, you're still going to be using more and more data over time. WiFi hotspots are hardly common unless you're sitting at a starbucks all day.

3-4Gb of data is hardly a lot, thus if you are using around that amount, you certainly should retain unlimited.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
http://www.cultofmac.com/191173/lte-iphone-5-will-double-ios-data-consumption-says-analysts/

http://blogs.informatandm.com/6386/...ces-are-priced-and-marketed-in-the-right-way/

Just a few. Point is, LTE will only increase or maintain data usage, not decrease it. And as mobile technology accelerates further, even if you stay on 3G, you're still going to be using more and more data over time. WiFi hotspots are hardly common unless you're sitting at a starbucks all day.

3-4Gb of data is hardly a lot, thus if you are using around that amount, you certainly should retain unlimited.
Without any other changes in locations of use or WiFi availability/use, despite playing more with the phone since getting the iPhone 5 (after all it's a new phone, had to get apps on it, play around more to try things out and enjoy it), even with the ability to use LTE now, I've actually used around half as much cellular data as I have on average in previous months with an iPhone 4 (limited to 3G, when it comes to cellular).

Will that be the same next month...hard to say. But that goes to show you that it truly does come down to being an individual thing, and LTE or not it still can (and will) be different for different people at different times in different places.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Without any other changes in locations of use or WiFi availability/use, despite playing more with the phone since getting the iPhone 5 (after all it's a new phone, had to get apps on it, play around more to try things out and enjoy it), even with the ability to use LTE now, I've actually used around half as much cellular data as I have on average in previous months with an iPhone 4 (limited to 3G, when it comes to cellular).

Will that be the same next month...hard to say. But that goes to show you that it truly does come down to being an individual thing, and LTE or not it still can (and will) be different for different people at different times in different places.

If you cognicently use less data then you'll use less data. I was only providing evidence as to what web outlets were reporting, and speaking from personal experience.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For me, since I'm always near wifi I dropped my unlimited plan a while ago. If you are in a similar situation, I would suggest doing the same.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you cognicently use less data then you'll use less data. I was only providing evidence as to what web outlets were reporting, and speaking from personal experience.
That's the thing, I wasn't really watching it or paying much attention to it, or really doing anything differently than I usually would do--in fact, maybe a little more since I was playing with the new iPhone 5 somewhat more, at least initially. So, while I don't seem to use more than 2 GB/month in general, it seems like I ended up using even less this first month after getting the iPhone 5 and switching from unlimited to 2 GB/month. So, yeah, in general there could be some sort of general opinions which can often/sometimes be true, but by far not always and/or for everyone. So yeah, really depends in the end.

----------

For me, since I'm always near wifi I dropped my unlimited plan a while ago. If you are in a similar situation, I would suggest doing the same.
That can (and does) definitely figure into it as well.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Honestly, I'm struggling with the same decision for my family. Initially I was planning on buying unsubsidized phones when we upgrade, but checking our latest data usage, combined we used less than 1 GB. Now I'm leaning towards going with the 2 GB plan. Speaking only for myself, I know my data usage won't increase on LTE because I don't stream music or videos and I hate surfing the Internet on a phone screen.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks!

I've already done an analysis on the usage for both my wife and I and we do require unlimited data; especially for my wife that averages around 5-6gb /month and mine is around 2gb/ month. Most likely we are being throttled when the network we are in gets busy but I haven't really noticed that big of a difference. Hopefully the threshold is higher for LTE usage.

My question was more related to getting an Ip5 and having it added to my plan without making any changes. I've heard horror stories where people have gone into Verizon stores to add a phone to their line and their contract gets completely changed…very paranoid about that.

----------

Honestly, I'm struggling with the same decision for my family. Initially I was planning on buying unsubsidized phones when we upgrade, but checking our latest data usage, combined we used less than 1 GB. Now I'm leaning towards going with the 2 GB plan. Speaking only for myself, I know my data usage won't increase on LTE because I don't stream music or videos and I hate surfing the Internet on a phone screen.

I like having the comfort of knowing no matter what I do, I will not go over my limits. But that's just me. LTE won't increase your data usage since its the same amount of data, its just being transferred faster. However I think naturally it would increase data usage by a bit. My $0.02

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Phx08 said:
I like having the comfort of knowing no matter what I do, I will not go over my limits. But that's just me. LTE won't increase your data usage since its the same amount of data, its just being transferred faster. However I think naturally it would increase data usage by a bit. My $0.02

I agree that comfort is nice, which in the end might cause me to keep unlimited.

I know with LTE it's the same amount of data. I was referring to, as you hinted, some people's experience that they use more data since it's faster. I don't see myself doing that for the reasons I stated.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
I am in the same boat as well., me and my wife are both able to upgrade. But we do not want to loose our unlimited data. Per cycle about 9gb of data. I was at the Verizon store and the sales rep told me I could use my upgrade and keep my unlimited last week? I guess he was fibbing.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I would keep the unlimited plan and just pay full price for the phones (or get a used one on eBay/CL). The LTE on Verizon is extremely fast and I would love to be able to use it without watching my usage.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I've decided to give up the unlimited data. Our average monthly data usage is 1.7 GB combined, with the high being 1.9 GB. Even if I go to a 4 GB share plan, I figure we will be saving about $50/month taking into account the cost of the phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.