Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hello,im running snow leapord on a macbook pro intel 2 dual core memory. I recently was looking at my launch daemons and agents folder and deleted a few of them. I also deleted some other files in another folder. I wanted to uninstall pace anti virus software, because I heard it has caused problems with macs. I may have removed some wrong files because when i visit a site perticularly netflix it crashes my internet for like 5 mins. Ive already checked the router restarted it upgraded vid card ext. ext. its only on that site I can watch any other video site and its fine. Other than that my computer is running wierd and slow. not really slow but im worried somethings up. can someone please review my activity monitor processes? :apple: :confused:

Active Memory: 693.4 MB
Free Memory: 1.76 GB
Wired Memory: 721.9 MB
Used Memory: 2.24 GB
Inactive Memory: 875.5 MB
Total VM: 119.98 GB
Number of processes: 49

PID Process Name User CPU Real Mem Virtual Mem
0 kernel_task root 2.2 346.7 MB 2.04 GB
1 launchd root 0.4 1.7 MB 2.35 GB
10 kextd root 0.0 9.6 MB 2.35 GB
12 cron root 0.0 2.3 MB 2.33 GB
15 usbmuxd _usbmuxd 0.0 5.7 MB 2.38 GB
16 SystemStarter root 0.0 2.9 MB 2.35 GB
18 syslogd root 0.0 1.3 MB 2.35 GB
20 securityd root 0.0 5.8 MB 2.36 GB
23 mds root 0.0 66.5 MB 2.51 GB
24 mDNSResponder _mdnsrespo 0.0 4.6 MB 2.36 GB
25 loginwindow hwdj303 0.0 21.1 MB 2.72 GB
26 KernelEventAgent root 0.0 2.5 MB 2.34 GB
28 hidd root 0.0 3.4 MB 2.34 GB
29 fseventsd root 0.0 3.7 MB 2.35 GB
31 dynamic_pager root 0.0 2.2 MB 2.33 GB
34 diskarbitrationd root 0.0 3.6 MB 2.35 GB
35 DirectoryService root 0.0 9.0 MB 2.37 GB
37 configd root 0.0 6.0 MB 2.38 GB
40 blued root 0.0 14.3 MB 2.45 GB
41 autofsd root 0.0 2.5 MB 2.34 GB
43 SL2SettingsService root 0.1 12.7 MB 2.45 GB
45 notifyd root 0.0 1.0 MB 2.33 GB
46 distnoted daemon 0.0 2.8 MB 2.34 GB
49 coreservicesd root 0.1 37.5 MB 2.40 GB
73 socketfilterfw root 0.0 10.2 MB 2.41 GB
77 WindowServer _windowser 4.3 70.9 MB 3.05 GB
90 cvmsServ root 0.0 2.2 MB 2.33 GB
100 coreaudiod _coreaudio 0.0 11.4 MB 2.43 GB
107 launchd hwdj303 0.0 1.4 MB 2.34 GB
111 Dock hwdj303 0.0 38.2 MB 2.74 GB
112 SystemUIServer hwdj303 0.0 31.3 MB 2.75 GB
113 Finder hwdj303 0.0 64.5 MB 2.87 GB
118 pboard hwdj303 0.0 2.2 MB 2.33 GB
119 fontd hwdj303 0.0 16.1 MB 2.41 GB
122 UserEventAgent hwdj303 0.0 17.6 MB 2.46 GB
129 AirPort Base Station Agen hwdj303 0.0 17.7 MB 2.73 GB
174 activitymonitord root 0.6 3.0 MB 2.35 GB
175 TextEdit hwdj303 0.0 27.8 MB 2.76 GB
179 AppleSpell.service hwdj303 0.0 9.0 MB 2.38 GB
198 Firefox hwdj303 0.2 384.4 MB 4.19 GB
225 mdworker hwdj303 0.0 23.3 MB 2.46 GB
292 Firefox Plugin Process (S hwdj303 0.5 63.7 MB 2.98 GB
328 Firefox Plugin Process (G hwdj303 0.0 15.3 MB 953.0 MB
332 GoogleTalkPlugin hwdj303 0.0 9.0 MB 914.4 MB
333 VDCAssistant hwdj303 0.0 14.0 MB 2.71 GB
391 cupsd root 0.0 8.0 MB 2.41 GB
392 mdworker _spotlight 0.0 9.6 MB 2.42 GB
394 Quick Look Helper hwdj303 0.0 16.1 MB 2.95 GB
397 Activity Monitor hwdj303 11.3 38.4 MB 2.84 GB

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Were these LaunchDeamons and LaunchAgents folders located in the /Library Folder, and did you remove files from folders within the /Library Folder?

If so normally this would not harm the OS, at least as long as you don't delete the keychain folder and/or it's contents, there are a few folders inside which more or less influence the OS, standard there are files in internet plug-ins, in PDF Services, Perl, but they should not make much of a difference.

You should never delete anything you don't know, and if you do have a backup so you can still put things back where they belong.
Also, I find it odd a virus program does not have an uninstaller.

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
yes i did delete them out of the library/launch daemon folder. the problem is i dont recall the names of them. these are the files in my launch daemon folder.

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

com.apple.qmaster.qmasterd.plist

com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

com.rane.sl2.daemon.plist

and i have only one file in my launch agents.

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

is there a way to see what files are mandatory for these folders? thanks

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
yes i did delete them out of the library/launch daemon folder. the problem is i dont recall the names of them. these are the files in my launch daemon folder.

com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

com.apple.qmaster.qmasterd.plist

com.google.keystone.daemon.plist

com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

com.rane.sl2.daemon.plist

and i have only one file in my launch agents.

com.google.keystone.agent.plist

is there a way to see what files are mandatory for these folders? thanks

In a clean install both of these folders are empty, but if I look at these files I would not worry about them, they all seem legit.
You seem to have software from serato, just googled that one and should be OK as well.

I think you deleted files in the internet plu-ins folder, I think netflix uses flash, if so re install flash, go to adobe and download flash there.

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I rei8nstalled flash. goolgle chrome was working great even with netflix after i got my original prefrence pane folder off time machine. then i installed flash again. bam. same problem. its driving me crazy

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I rei8nstalled flash. goolgle chrome was working great even with netflix after i got my original prefrence pane folder off time machine. then i installed flash again. bam. same problem. its driving me crazy

It's hard for me to diagnose the problem if you don't know what you actually deleted.

Also, I don't completely understand here, you reinstalled flash and it worked fine until you got back the contents of the /Library/Preference panes back?

If the above is the case then there is something inside that folder which makes the problem visible again, you might try moving Pref. Pane by Pref. Pane out of it and each time log out and in again and after each login see if the problem is gone.
If it's gone you know what causes it.

What you also can do is to log into another account and see if the problem is there, if you don't have another account create one in Users And Groups in System Preferences.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hello,im running snow leapord on a macbook pro intel 2 dual core memory. I recently was looking at my launch daemons and agents folder and deleted a few of them. I also deleted some other files in another folder. I wanted to uninstall pace anti virus software, because I heard it has caused problems with macs. I may have removed some wrong files because when i visit a site perticularly netflix it crashes my internet for like 5 mins. Ive already checked the router restarted it upgraded vid card ext. ext. its only on that site I can watch any other video site and its fine. Other than that my computer is running wierd and slow. not really slow but im worried somethings up. can someone please review my activity monitor processes? :apple: :confused:

Active Memory: 693.4 MB
Free Memory: 1.76 GB
Wired Memory: 721.9 MB
Used Memory: 2.24 GB
Inactive Memory: 875.5 MB
Total VM: 119.98 GB
Number of processes: 49

1. What's the "swap used" count in activity monitor? This might not even matter if you have 4+ GB RAM though.

2. Netflix does not use flash, it uses Microsoft silverlight; so make sure that your silverlight plugin is installed and updated.

3. Have you reset Safari?

4. When I look at activity monitor and see the inactive memory above 500MB and I know that I'm not going to reopen the applications that require that inactive memory, I use terminal to run the purge command to clear the IM.

5. What are the exact specs of your machine?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
1. What's the "swap used" count in activity monitor? This might not even matter if you have 4+ GB RAM though.

2. Netflix does not use flash, it uses Microsoft silverlight; so make sure that your silverlight plugin is installed and updated.

3. Have you reset Safari?

4. When I look at activity monitor and see the inactive memory above 500MB and I know that I'm not going to reopen the applications that require that inactive memory, I use terminal to run the purge command to clear the IM.

5. What are the exact specs of your machine?

Ah, thanks for this RedCroissant, I didn't know it uses Silverlight, I don't use netflix so wasn't sure what it uses, it is probably the silverlight plug-in then.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Ah, thanks for this RedCroissant, I didn't know it uses Silverlight, I don't use netflix so wasn't sure what it uses, it is probably the silverlight plug-in then.

It might be but I'm not convinced of that entirely because it would simply prompt the OP to download and install Silverlight before playing video. It should not be causing Safari to crash.

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I am using google chrome and just reinstalled safari. I'm on a core 2 due macbook pro with 4gb of ram. The bad news now though, is I was going to reinstall my os to avoid endless searching for what I deleted. I was going to reinstall snow leapord and my drive will not read install dvds now. I just went and bought a disk cleaner that didn't help. I'm starting to feel like this computer is crapping out.

----------

P.S. I dont think it is silverlight or flash. I have erased and reinstalled both.now its not just netflix. it is the internet in general. I know its not at its full potential. I have optimized everything for web speed router and resetted my modem.

----------

thanks for your replies!

----------

and yes I think I might of deleted something out of my prefrance panes. so i backed up the prefrance pane folder to an older version of the folder

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I am using google chrome and just reinstalled safari. I'm on a core 2 due macbook pro with 4gb of ram. The bad news now though, is I was going to reinstall my os to avoid endless searching for what I deleted. I was going to reinstall snow leapord and my drive will not read install dvds now. I just went and bought a disk cleaner that didn't help. I'm starting to feel like this computer is crapping out.

----------

P.S. I dont think it is silverlight or flash. I have erased and reinstalled both.now its not just netflix. it is the internet in general. I know its not at its full potential. I have optimized everything for web speed router and resetted my modem.

----------

thanks for your replies!

----------

and yes I think I might of deleted something out of my prefrance panes. so i backed up the prefrance pane folder to an older version of the folder

Do you happen to have another computer with an optical drive that you could use to install the OS on your machine?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

----------

----------

thanks for your replies!

----------

You could try to reset all network settings by moving(don't delete yet) the following folder to the desktop and then restart.
This folder is inside the main /Library/Preferences folder.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

If it only copies the folder due to permissions copy it to the desktop and delete the original, then restart.

Did you login into a new User Account as I asked you to do to see if the problem persists there?

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
I will try that folder thing in the network. and i do have an external dvd drive but i cant get it until tomorrow. I might just drive across town and get it tonight.

----------

I have tried making a new user account but I havn't tried the internet. just the dvd player. the dvd problem still persists there as well.

----------

So I moved the configurations folder then restarted. there is a new one in there now. What do I do with the one on my desktop. So far so good. I went to netflix and its fine now. I'm going to keep testing it. I feel like i need to still reinstall my os tho because of the cd drive. I bought a cd cleaner then read the back(not compatable with macs.) wish i woulda read †hat before i bought it.

----------

Thanks for all of your help!

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
So I contacted my ISP and it turns out there is an outage so there is network problems as they were able to fix it. I'm kind of glad. Now I have a clean install of mac OSX mountain lion. Installed all my plugins and now I'm reinstalling programs. This little problem turned into a two day computer update. Thank you to everyone who responded. Now I'm afraid to set up time machine because I know I wont be able to access the old backups.as i did a clean install. can anyone help on this?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So I contacted my ISP and it turns out there is an outage so there is network problems as they were able to fix it. I'm kind of glad. Now I have a clean install of mac OSX mountain lion. Installed all my plugins and now I'm reinstalling programs. This little problem turned into a two day computer update. Thank you to everyone who responded. Now I'm afraid to set up time machine because I know I wont be able to access the old backups.as i did a clean install. can anyone help on this?

So, it turned out to be the ISP, or that folder?

If you reply to someone here better quote, we are then able to track if there's new Posts.

For backup I use Carbon Copy Cloner, I find this to have a huge advantage over TimeMachine, you can boot from it while you can't from a TM backup.

CCC is free up until 3.4.7

denvermacentral

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
"So, it turned out to be the ISP, or that folder?

If you reply to someone here better quote, we are then able to track if there's new Posts.

For backup I use Carbon Copy Cloner, I find this to have a huge advantage over TimeMachine, you can boot from it while you can't from a TM backup.

CCC is free up until 3.4.7"

I'm new at this, its my first post. But i think it was a little of both. I erased some folders and my internet was messing up. I will switch to carbon copy cloner but how do i save my old time machine folders?

----------

and really better than time machine?

----------

lol just learned how to quote that was wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.