Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Still100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I want a secure way to connect to my home network and I'm a newbie to this sort of thing. I'm interested to know if someone has set this up successfully.

What's the easiest secure solution to accessing the home network using the built in its VPN?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Get a router with VPN built in is probably the simplest.
or
Get a router that supports DD-WRT, flash it with DD-WRT, and configure VPN.

Just need something that support PPTP.
Could always setup some external VPN server but that is a PITA, requires secondary equipment, ect.

Going to need some sort of dynamic domain service if you don't have a static IP (though my "dynamic" IP hasn't changed in 5 years with Comcast so....)

Still100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
My router is provided by the service provider and won't allow that. If it was up to me alone I would get rid of the service provider Sky based on that alone.

Any other ways? Could I not open a port and setup windows VPN service?

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Unless you truly need VPN features, Splashtop is the best remote control app available. I use it every day to connect to my home computer from my iPhone. My ISP doesn't allow for Static IPs, except at Business prices, so I use a little freeware open source utility to monitor my external IP and send me an email when it changes, which is not often.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Unless you truly need VPN features, Splashtop is the best remote control app available. I use it every day to connect to my home computer from my iPhone. My ISP doesn't allow for Static IPs, except at Business prices, so I use a little freeware open source utility to monitor my external IP and send me an email when it changes, which is not often.

I would like to know that software lol

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I would like to know that software lol
LogMeIn is also free, and easier. No need to worry about IP addresses for remote desktop.

VPN and Remote Desktop serve two completely different purposes.

To the OP, Yes, you can run a VPN Server application and open ports on your ISP router. Google for an app. I can't help or recommend any solutions as I use the VPN server built into DDWRT I have loaded in my Linksys.

Try this:
http://www.windows7library.com/blog/networking/a-quick-vpn-server-using-windows-7/

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
The question was about the software for the IP adress

I know about RDP and all

But thanks for your concern

Still100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
LogMeIn is also free, and easier. No need to worry about IP addresses for remote desktop.

VPN and Remote Desktop serve two completely different purposes.

To the OP, Yes, you can run a VPN Server application and open ports on your ISP router. Google for an app. I can't help or recommend any solutions as I use the VPN server built into DDWRT I have loaded in my Linksys.

Try this:
http://www.windows7library.com/blog/networking/a-quick-vpn-server-using-windows-7/

I've tried that but always receive the could not establish conn to ppp server. Which is usually resolved by resetting network settings on the iOS device according to google but hasn't worked for me.

How does logmein make their money?

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
How does logmein make their money?

LogMeIn has a basic access option for free, and charge for more functionality. I've never tried them personally, but I believe the basic option just gives you remote desktop access, whereas the paid options can provide all sorts of additional functionality like remote file access, managing lots of machines, etc. http://logmein.com

But like Menel said, Remote desktop access is not the same thing as VPN access. Depending what you actually want though maybe it's enough. If there is only a single machine on your home network that you want to access remotely, then something like LogMeIn might be enough. If you want to access several machines on your local network remotely then you might want to setup a VPN.

Still100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I'm after both file access and Remote Desktop. Also, I hear VPN is a good way to transmit data, say banking, work etc in public places because it encrypts.

I have managed to get VPN running from iOS to Win 7 VPN. Thanks Menel.

Yeah!

But I was hoping that I could access the remote computer by rdp through the VPN connection to be more secure.

I may resort to logmein or teamviewer but I'm sure they would make money by selling personal info or something?

Through vpn, I can access files now but would like rdp using Jump on iOS. Does rdp need data to be tunnelled/encrypted over a public network by vpn or ssh or does it have something built in? Every work place does setup VPN or ssh.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I'm after both file access and Remote Desktop. Also, I hear VPN is a good way to transmit data, say banking, work etc in public places because it encrypts.

Yeah!

But I was hoping that I could access the remote computer by rdp through the VPN connection to be more secure.

I may resort to logmein or teamviewer but I'm sure they would make money by selling personal info or something?

Through vpn, I can access files now but would like rdp using Jump on iOS. Does rdp need data to be tunnelled/encrypted over a public network by vpn or ssh or does it have something built in? Every work place does setup VPN or ssh.

Select a block of ports and port forward unused external ports to RDP ports on your LAN computers.
But RDP isn't *that* secure.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Yeah!

I use LogMeIn for remote desktop and file access.

I sometimes use DropBox for file access, arranged my files so that anything I might need mobile is in there.

I use VPN to log in from public/guest WIFI networks when making transactions or other sensitive things.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I use a Synology NAS. Has dynamic DNS support & a VPN host.

+1 for the Synology. If the OP is looking to go the home server route, I think Synology's products are hard to beat. Fantastic functionality and great software.

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
Home VPN

Get a router with VPN built in is probably the simplest.
or
Get a router that supports DD-WRT, flash it with DD-WRT, and configure VPN.

Just need something that support PPTP.
Could always setup some external VPN server but that is a PITA, requires secondary equipment, ect.

Going to need some sort of dynamic domain service if you don't have a static IP (though my "dynamic" IP hasn't changed in 5 years with Comcast so....)

Truly great advice. I've had my linksys wrt54G router for as long as I can remember running ddwrt firmware and my own VPN configured.
Sound advice here man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.