Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

PowerBook G4 battery problem

I recently sold my PB with 1.67GHz, it was the last model series to use DDR1 memory. I sold it with quite bad battery, in terms of capacity that was. I also had one unused which I had owned for some time already so I finally got the change to test it, it worked fine, I ran the machine on battery power, then charged etc. It had only 3 battery load cycles so it was almost like new. I sold the battery separately.

Today the owner received and said that when he plugs in the battery his PB powers up straight away and does not react to power button, especially this last thing surprises me. When he removes the battery the machine works OK. SMC reset has already been mentioned, dunno if it worked.

But, is the battery damaged? He checked the battery model number and says it is compatible.
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

It seems unlikely to be the battery itself, as that shouldn't regulate any on-off behavior. More likely, there is something wrong with a chip that deals with battery power or maybe the battery connector cable.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Buyer tried reseting SMC but no help, he said that when the charger is plugged in, the indicator light cycles between orange and green.

I took a screenshot after I tested the battery and those three load cycles were done during my testing:

http://aijaa.com/N5DzZu
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs