Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
When I have the iPad mini on my desk, with the Smart Cover rolled up, with it laying down, 95% of the time when I start typing or touching it collapses. Anyone else experiencing this?

Gymgenius

Suspended
Jan 29, 2010
No, but my cover frequently comes off when putting the mini into the landscape display position :(

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
When I have the iPad mini on my desk, with the Smart Cover rolled up, with it laying down, 95% of the time when I start typing or touching it collapses. Anyone else experiencing this?

Which way are you rolling it up? If you roll it up with the outer part to the surface then yes, it will collapse. If you roll it up with the microfiber to the surface it won't.

I generally roll mine with the outer part to the surface. I don't want to get grit in the micro fiber but when I need to type a longer email I use it the other way.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Which way are you rolling it up? If you roll it up with the outer part to the surface then yes, it will collapse. If you roll it up with the microfiber to the surface it won't.

I generally roll mine with the outer part to the surface. I don't want to get grit in the micro fiber but when I need to type a longer email I use it the other way.

Well that's stupid, cuz that's not how they advertise it in commercials. They show it going from laying down to standing up without rolling the cover the other way. Why would I want to get the microfiber part dirty? Retarded.

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
It's too expensive and very bad made.

It's a projectual flaw, it only has 3 foldable parts, it's not stable how it is the smart cover for the bigger iPad that has 4 foldable parts to type or stand position.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
It's too expensive and very bad made.

It's a projectual flaw, it only has 3 foldable parts, it's not stable how it is the smart cover for the bigger iPad that has 4 foldable parts to type or stand position.

I had the same problem with the bigger iPad Smart Cover as well, but the opposite. It would only stand if it was rolled with the microfiber on the outside, otherwise it would collapse.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Well that's stupid, cuz that's not how they advertise it in commercials. They show it going from laying down to standing up without rolling the cover the other way. Why would I want to get the microfiber part dirty? Retarded.
I'd have to look at a commercial but I'm pretty sure they show the cover being rolled with the microfiber on the outside. I know that they do on the website.
I don't really see a way to make it work the other way. Just be carefull what your sitting it on and you'll be fine.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
When I first got the smart cover I thought it should roll up with the outside on, you know, the outside. I soon discovered otherwise. I have grown to really like the smart cover and have no issues with it coming off or collapsing.

But....when I use the smart cover as a stand I do find myself being a little paranoid about where I put it down so as not to get any debris on the microfibers.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
The smart cover on my iPad 4 felt to flappy...but its perfect on my iPad mini, Im rocking that along with a nice lightweight thin clear hardshell cover for the back, making for a perfect combo

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
The smart cover on my iPad 4 felt to flappy...but its perfect on my iPad mini, Im rocking that along with a nice lightweight thin clear hardshell cover for the back, making for a perfect combo

Same here, harshell from Rocket Fish. Except I get nervous about the side parts that are exposed. Kinda want to get a book case thing for it for full coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.