Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:13 PM   #101
samh4life
macrumors newbie

this. explains. everything.

This is why apple is spiraling down the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75065_10151351319519655_186172869_n-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	390518  
samh4life is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:17 PM   #102
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Tim Cook has been the opposite of Jobs, a numbers guy without a creative bone in his body leading the leading tech company in the world

who would of thunk Apple would be going down

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:19 PM   #103
Seandroid
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
They tried Pepsi before. Didn't mix.

This is the most under-appreciated comment on the internet.
Seandroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:26 PM   #104
japanime
macrumors 65816

I used to love to visit the two Apple Stores here in Tokyo.

That all changed a couple of years ago, when the stores began falling apart. Often, it seems like nobody is in charge, with employees are running around as if the place is on fire. Even making a Genius Bar appointment is a waste of time, since they are always running behind schedule. (Last time I had an appointment, I had to wait an additional 45 minutes to speak with a Genius.)

The staff are friendly and helpful when you finally do get a chance to speak to someone. But management of the Ginza and (especially) Shibuya stores is beyond the pale.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 PM   #105
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdeth View Post
jobs was gonna be a hard act to follow and i think everybody knew it. has apple ever really had someone at the helm who could measure up to him? Doubtful they will ever again, either.
I agree. The reason for this is, no one else built the company from the ground up. No one will match his passion. Apple was like Job's child. He fed it, changed its diapers and watched it grow from a baby into a giant. Apple was Job's creation and no one can be faulted for not having the same passion for Apple as Steve Jobs did. Steve did accomplish a heck of a lot though. My hat is off to him.
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 PM   #106
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post
Define "innovate" because that's such a b***s*** term that everyone loves to throw around in the tech industry.

Samsung, Google, et. al. aren't innovators. They throw every half-baked feature they can cram into Android Phones, and they do it half-a**ed. NFC is a solution in search of a problem. Bigger screens! More megapixels! Big freaking deal.
Where to start with this BS! Samsung don't innovate? Who came up with 90% of the stuff in your iToy's? It sure as hell wasn't Apple. Who has 1000's of people working in R&D to make components smaller and more efficient, it sure as hell ain't Apple.

If Samsung, LG, Sharpe etc were not innovators then none of the improvements you have seen over the past 10 years in the Mac would have happened. Apple didn't develop and the new screens we see today.

The only thing since Firewire Apple have truly been at the fore front of has been Thunderflop. There is a lesson there. The two technologies Apple has serious input on have flopped.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:32 PM   #107
sseaton1971
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by davida View Post
Sure, you know it best. Since TC took over, there was the Browett thing, the maps thing, the .... thing, the yyyy thing. All in about a year. He just does not seem to get involved in day-to-day operations as much but delegate. That is my explanation how the map thing could happen. Didn't he try the maps himself before release to see how flawed it was? Didn't he breath and sleep with it before release? I found it cheap to fire the maps guys upon that. It is a CEO's own fault if somebody under him messes up. It is his responsibility to be on top of everything, not the VP's.

I am pretty sure he is brilliant at supply chain stuff. I am not so sure about his talents as a CEO.

And, ultimately, it is Jobs mistake to not select an appropriate CEO before his death.
You named two failures of Tim Cook: Browett and maps. And it seems like Cook quickly took care of these two things.

I loved Jobs, but he was in charge when Apple had several failures: that stupid "hockey puck" mouse for the first iMac, the G4 Cube, Ping, MobileMe, and the iPhone antennae problem all come to mind. I would also argue that putting Eric Schmnidt on Apple's board was a really stupid idea.

And if Cook ends up being a failure (which I don't think will happen), then Steve's biggest failure will be naming Tim Cook as his successor.
sseaton1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:38 PM   #108
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojito View Post
Which bums me out, I thought I'd never say it -- I have trusted Tim Cook and I still do, Johnny Ive is awesome -- but Jobs said "I had all this money and it didn't matter, what mattered was the company, the products we were making." I just wish we had execs that were as passionate as, say, I am.

--
I'm also not saying that the fire is dying or anything, or doom and gloom, I'm just saying that something exciting needs to happen.
What's exciting? I haven't been excited about Apple since the first iPhone. Nothing apple has done since then changed the way I do things.

Yes the iPad is great, but in a sense it's just a bigger phone.
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:48 PM   #109
sseaton1971
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac007 View Post
Apple is on the slide downwards slowly all those people Steve groomed an left in place to continue running the compony are leaving, it started with Ron Johnson, then Scott Forstall now this guy.
Ron Johnson left Apple to be a CEO of JCPenney. I would call that a step up, and it probably didn't have anything to do with Tim Cook's leadership.

There are many reports out there that many people inside Apple, from the executive team on down, wanted Scott Forstall out because he couldn't get along with others. Personally, I would rather have executives like Bob Mansfield stick around.

Jerry McDougal is not a senior VP, and I assume there are other VPs in retail at Apple. I think it is really odd that people are freaking out over a vice president who is leaving that nobody has heard of before until now. Jeesh!

I don't know... this leadership team looks pretty good to me, and almost all are Steve Jobs' guys:

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/
sseaton1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:49 PM   #110
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post
Lots of people seem to be abandoning ship.
Apple ain't what she used to be.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:54 PM   #111
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh4life View Post

For real.

You know the 2nd iPhone had a 3 in it, right?

Maybe the numbers don't always indicate the actual incremental model

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseaton1971 View Post

I think it is really odd that people are freaking out over a vice president who is leaving that nobody has heard of before until now. Jeesh!
Rabble Rabble!!!
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:58 PM   #112
sseaton1971
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Where to start with this BS! Samsung don't innovate? Who came up with 90% of the stuff in your iToy's? It sure as hell wasn't Apple. Who has 1000's of people working in R&D to make components smaller and more efficient, it sure as hell ain't Apple.

If Samsung, LG, Sharpe etc were not innovators then none of the improvements you have seen over the past 10 years in the Mac would have happened. Apple didn't develop and the new screens we see today.

The only thing since Firewire Apple have truly been at the fore front of has been Thunderflop. There is a lesson there. The two technologies Apple has serious input on have flopped.
You are spewing just as much BS as the the poster you replied to. Apple, Samsung, and Google (and, yes, other technology companies) all have their fair share of innovations and contributions to the technologies we all enjoy today.
sseaton1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:02 AM   #113
Chataupiano
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh4life View Post
I see nothing wrong with the nomenclature, but seeing how that picture was most likely a joke, I won't take the trouble to argue.
Chataupiano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:14 AM   #114
Diseal3
macrumors 65816

What goes up, must come down. Welcome to life.
Diseal3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:17 AM   #115
nickn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMonsalve View Post
People must understand that the Apple stock is completely different from Apple the company. The stock at the moment is very volatile and not doing well, but that's temporary. If you look at previous years of Apples stock, it's happened before.
Apple shares have never lost as much value in any time window, as they have in the last 6 months. In September of 2012, Appl was trading at over $700 USD. Today, it closed it $485... That is a massive loss, which has continued almost every day of the last several months. If I was a person who still had shares in Apple, I would be jumping ship about now. Frankly, it doesn't look good IMO when management keeps leaving the company, new "wonder" products never go anywhere, such as this never ending TV rumor, and the last real innovative product the company shipped was the iPad in 2010.
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:22 AM   #116
apple-win
macrumors regular

Apple market cap is the biggest in the world, but its product porfolio is very small. It is a consmer hardware/software company, the demand for its products is very elastic. Not like Microsoft, most people in their work place have to use MS Windows, no choice.

Right now Apple makes a lot of money on iPhone and iPad. But what else can Apple invent to arouse consumers in the future?

It seems like Apple is trying to phase out resellers, it does not want to sell its products side-by-side with competitors' products. But those newly built glassy Apple stores are too big for a small product portfolio. The store is boring, and the interior is too bright to show an Apple flat-pannel TV, if any, in the future.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 AM   #117
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guyy View Post
I get the feeling that Tim Cook is tyrant.
And what CEO of a multinational company do you know of who isn't? You don't get "there" by being sugary sweet.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:02 AM   #118
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
McDougal was also considered as a possible replacement for John Browett after he was fired earlier this year.
Pretty sure that was last year
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:11 AM   #119
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Bingo. If you were a long-time employee at Apple, I think you would get used to having Steve popping in every now and then to check on your work. Tim Cook doesn't seem like that kind of leader to me. There's a certain level of coordination that Steve provided that may be missing now.
But it was Steve who recommended Tim replace him. So Steve screwed up?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Tim Cook has been the opposite of Jobs, a numbers guy without a creative bone in his body leading the leading tech company in the world

who would of thunk Apple would be going down
And yet it was Steve who recommended this "numbers guy" replace him.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:15 AM   #120
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post

Apple market cap is the biggest in the world, but its product porfolio is very small.
Isn't that the dream? Have a few products that generate tons of income?

Quote:

But what else can Apple invent to arouse consumers in the future?
To be fair... Apple doesn't really "invent" anything. They just take something and massage it into a spectacular product. They successfully rebooted the smartphone, tablet, MP3 player, etc.

It's all about execution. Apple has a knack for that.

But to get back to your question... you could ask that about any company.

If Apple is in trouble because they can't invent new products... what about the other guys? What new markets can HTC, LG and Motorola break into?

I keep hearing "Apple is washed up" or "they're losing their edge" or "they need a TV to stay relevant"

Good god... if Apple is washed up... what about a company like RIM? They already tried a tablet and failed... and I don't see them making an MP3 player or TV.

Speaking of TVs... Samsung had the entire media world buzzing about "a TV with an unprecedented new shape"

And it was a huge TV that looks like an easel. For $38,000. Exciting... but far from practical.

At least Apple can fall back on the buckets of cash they make from their existing products.

I guess what I'm saying is... Apple may never invent/redefine a category ever again.

But neither will anyone else.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:27 AM   #121
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
Isn't that the dream? Have a few products that generate tons of income?

To be fair... Apple doesn't really "invent" anything. They just take something and massage it into a spectacular product. They successfully rebooted the smartphone, tablet, MP3 player, etc.

It's all about execution. Apple has a knack for that.
I guess you could be right. A dream only lasts for 8 hours.

Yes, it is Apple's component vendors invented something, Samsung, LG, Sharp, Sony, ARM, and etc.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:59 AM   #122
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Yes, it is Apple's component vendors invented something, Samsung, LG, Sharp, Sony, ARM, and etc.
Do you congratulate the architect who designs the house... do you give more credit to the lumber mill and the company who makes the nails?

BTW... none of the companies you listed invented the LCD display or the microprocessor
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:01 AM   #123
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
LOL Tim Cook probably has more talent, smarts and common sense in his pinky finger than most people here. But of course everyone else knows better.
Definitely doesn't have good public speaking skills. Its like nails a chalkboard whenever he tries to speak during a keynote.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:13 AM   #124
apolloa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
If Apple is in trouble because they can't invent new products... what about the other guys? What new markets can HTC, LG and Motorola break into?

I keep hearing "Apple is washed up" or "they're losing their edge" or "they need a TV to stay relevant"

Good god... if Apple is washed up... what about a company like RIM? They already tried a tablet and failed... and I don't see them making an MP3 player or TV.

Speaking of TVs... Samsung had the entire media world buzzing about "a TV with an unprecedented new shape"

And it was a huge TV that looks like an easel. For $38,000. Exciting... but far from practical.

At least Apple can fall back on the buckets of cash they make from their existing products.

I guess what I'm saying is... Apple may never invent/redefine a category ever again.

But neither will anyone else.

Are you talk in about the RIM company that lost almost three quarters of it's market share, layed of thousands of staff last year to stay afloat and is still in financial trouble now? Yeah that's a good role model...
Oh and that pile of cash means nothing, it prolongs that pain, go and read articles from real stock market analysts and experts, from what I've read they don't have a lot of trust in Apple at present...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:32 AM   #125
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
Maybe his wife threatened to leave and take the kids if he didn't spend more time at home spending all the money he made.
Maybe he found a new wife and kid
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion