Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:29 PM   #1
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Cool iTunes Alternatives?

Ok, so I don't like iTunes, never did and never will. It is just too big, not as versatile as WinAmp and worst of all, iTunes store.

So, do you know of a good iTunes replacement? I already tried 'Vox' but it lacks a good playlist view and doesn't save the song list.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Wildy
macrumors 6502

You might want to try Songbird - it's very similar in functionality to iTunes but supports plug-ins etc. Someone has a more recent PowerPC build here - http://www.the-eleven.com/tlegg/file...macosx-ppc.dmg
Wildy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Someone recommended Google Music/Play here a while ago...
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

I looked long and hard for an Itunes-substitute but I never found one. There was always SOMETHING that was a bit off or made me look for another app. My best advice is to find the PPC-version of Spotify and import your songs into that. There are some plug-ins that allow, for example, equalizer and other stuff like that but I don't know if they are compatible with PPC.
Starfighter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:13 PM   #5
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
You might want to try Songbird - it's very similar in functionality to iTunes but supports plug-ins etc. Someone has a more recent PowerPC build here - http://www.the-eleven.com/tlegg/file...macosx-ppc.dmg
Yeah... I actually want something that doesn't look like/behave like iTunes. Songbird is so intrusive and huge.

I was looking for something like WinAmp. Anything that resembles iTunes/Songbird/Amarok is just not working for me. Sorry.

Quote:
Someone recommended Google Music/Play here a while ago...
Is that an app for powerpc mac?

Quote:
I looked long and hard for an Itunes-substitute but I never found one. There was always SOMETHING that was a bit off or made me look for another app. My best advice is to find the PPC-version of Spotify and import your songs into that. There are some plug-ins that allow, for example, equalizer and other stuff like that but I don't know if they are compatible with PPC.
Spotify doesn't work in my country
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

Isn't it possible to install in offline mode? I mean if you import your mp3's and play them offline there'd be no streaming, right? That's how I used it anyway, when I wasn't paying for it. I just used it as a player for my local content, and it has wonderful support for playlists, tidy artwork display and a sweet queue function (which were my top priorities in a player at the time).
Starfighter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
Isn't it possible to install in offline mode? I mean if you import your mp3's and play them offline there'd be no streaming, right? That's how I used it anyway, when I wasn't paying for it. I just used it as a player for my local content, and it has wonderful support for playlists, tidy artwork display and a sweet queue function (which were my top priorities in a player at the time).
well, just tried, it doesn't feel right :/
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:00 PM   #8
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, there aren't many iTunes alternatives at all, let alone PPC compatible ones. I don't know if Enqueue or Sonora are PPC compatible, but I enjoyed them. Sonora is no longer actively developed, but I use that primarily and leave iTunes for when I need to sync things (I'm still on iTunes 10 by the way and using the green icons from iTunes 6! I hate the icons after that and the UI of 11 is unusable for me.)

On PPC, if you want a simple music player, that does not have library management, theres Cog. It's very lightweight and beats VLC, which can be laggy.

----------

Also, you could use PPC Spotify, which also has the advantage of Spotify's online streaming service. But there are ads everywhere...
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
What about Audion?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
nilk
macrumors 6502

Do you require library management? If you need library management, iTunes seems to be the best there is for the Mac, with Spotify being the next best thing.

You can use Spotify offline with your local collection and it won't display ads: http://www.spotify.com/us/help/faq/l...to-local-files

Also, I think it plays AAC and I heard recently it'll play ALAC (Apple Lossless).

I'm not sure if this is all true for Spotify's older PPC version, but it's worth a shot.

I've tried various others and couldn't find anything worth using. I have had high hopes for Songbird and keep trying it every so often, but it is extremely slow. I can't imagine a PPC build of it fairs well.

AmaroK might be worth a shot if you can find a PPC OS X build. I used to like it years ago when I ran Linux as my main OS.

VLC 2.0 might be ok. Haven't used it for library management. I always have problems with audio playback, but maybe you won't.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:38 AM   #11
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

If you don't need library management, Cog looks like your best bet.
ybz90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:49 AM   #12
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

Guys, guys, we must read each others replies, otherwise there will be severe repeating (as already shown above).
Starfighter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:03 AM   #13
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

Record Player...great sound,while listening to your fav tune you get to watch it go round and round,meanwhile you also get to look at nice artwork and good liner note read...added bonus you can play backwards!
tom vilsack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:20 AM   #14
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Unhappy

Ok, I need something as simple and cool as WinAmp. I don't like having those big libraries or intrusive apps lol

I will try suggested apps. Do you know any other apps I could try?

I wish WinAmp was available for mac :'(
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 AM   #15
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
It is. But it's OS9 only, so you'd have to be running Tiger and Classic to use it or have an OS9 bootable Mac to use it directly in OS9.

The app I linked to earlier (Audion) purports to be almost a clone of Winamp. Drag and drop the music (CDs, MP3s, etc) on to the player and it plays it. Simple as that. It does have playlists, but it's convoluted to set them up.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 AM   #16
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
It is. But it's OS9 only, so you'd have to be running Tiger and Classic to use it or have an OS9 bootable Mac to use it directly in OS9.

The app I linked to earlier (Audion) purports to be almost a clone of Winamp. Drag and drop the music (CDs, MP3s, etc) on to the player and it plays it. Simple as that. It does have playlists, but it's convoluted to set them up.
WinAmp is available for MAC OS X 10.6 and above. I just downloaded it and was greeted by a semi rock-like radio announcer voice. Nice.

http://www.winamp.com/mac

----------

Quote:
Ok, I need something as simple and cool as WinAmp. I don't like having those big libraries or intrusive apps lol

I will try suggested apps. Do you know any other apps I could try?

It totally is.

http://www.winamp.com/mac

*EDIT*****!!

I forgot you had a PowerPC Mac.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 AM   #17
840quadra

VLC is also a good option for simple drag and drop music application.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:52 PM   #18
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post

Well... It is useless. My music is from iTunes store (AAC plus) or M4A from original CD's.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:27 PM   #19
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia: Have you looked at SoundApp Reborn (http://thirdcog.eu/apps/soundapp) and Play (http://sbooth.org/Play/) ?
Starfighter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:38 PM   #20
SuperJudge
macrumors 6502

I'll second the recommendation for Play.

Additionally, depending on how CLI comfortable you are, you can also get cmus from MacPorts.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:19 PM   #21
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
rjcalifornia: Have you looked at SoundApp Reborn (http://thirdcog.eu/apps/soundapp) and Play (http://sbooth.org/Play/) ?
None of them will play my songs. Do they have something against Maroon 5? lol

I tried them both, but Play is useless and SoundApp won't work at all.

Is there anything that resembles WinAmp? Or acts and look like WinAmp?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:07 PM   #22
roxxette
Banned

Quote:

Spotify doesn't work in my country
USA VPN mate
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 PM   #23
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
USA VPN mate

haha yeah I don't want to do that just for the music...

May be is there a way to compile the good old XMMS in Mac OS Powerpc?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:42 PM   #24
roxxette
Banned

Quote:

Why not ? that way also can use pandora or try hulu theres plenty of vpn options that cost as low as 10 bucks a year

Im from Dominican Republic btw
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:16 AM   #25
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:

Then don't use it for other things too, like amazon streaming, hulu, and shopping. I love my VPN
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Tags
itunes