Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
TwoHandedSledge
macrumors newbie

Really need help on iPhone 5 case...

Hey everyone, first time posting here, and I really needed some advice, figured you guys would be the best people to ask.

I've looked and looked on the internet for a particular case for my iPhone 5, and I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Basically I want a pretty darn thin, CLEAR case that adds some degree of drop protection, (but doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the phone) with a clear back cover so you can make out the cool apple logo, (preferably with clear sides as well, but I can live with white) that isn't easily damaged or scratched, with a "lay on the table" design, with the edges raised a tad to help protect the screen from minor drops. I know a TON of cases are out there, but they don't seem to meet my needs. Either the back scratches too easy, or they don't protect any kind of fall, etc. That phone's my baby man, (first apple product i've ever owned, and I instantly fell in love with it) and I wanna keep it protected, while still keeping it sleek and awesome looking. I don't plan on running over it with a bulldozer, or dropping it off a roof, so I don't need anything major as far as drop protection, just something to protect if I accidentally drop it a couple of feet. So if anyone has any suggestions, or has a case like this they could recommend I would be eternally grateful.
TwoHandedSledge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:38 PM   #2
macandmercedes
macrumors member

Clear might be a problem.

I haven't found any clear cases that offer decent protection, but then again I'm no authority. Here's a few that I recommend (none of which are clear ):

Lunatik Taktik
Otterbox Defender (Check out the Armor series that is coming up)
Lifeproof
Incipio Atlas

Hope this helps. Please share with us what case you end up buying.
macandmercedes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHandedSledge View Post
Hey everyone, first time posting here, and I really needed some advice, figured you guys would be the best people to ask.

I've looked and looked on the internet for a particular case for my iPhone 5, and I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Basically I want a pretty darn thin, CLEAR case that adds some degree of drop protection, (but doesn't take away from the aesthetics of the phone) with a clear back cover so you can make out the cool apple logo, (preferably with clear sides as well, but I can live with white) that isn't easily damaged or scratched, with a "lay on the table" design, with the edges raised a tad to help protect the screen from minor drops. I know a TON of cases are out there, but they don't seem to meet my needs. Either the back scratches too easy, or they don't protect any kind of fall, etc. That phone's my baby man, (first apple product i've ever owned, and I instantly fell in love with it) and I wanna keep it protected, while still keeping it sleek and awesome looking. I don't plan on running over it with a bulldozer, or dropping it off a roof, so I don't need anything major as far as drop protection, just something to protect if I accidentally drop it a couple of feet. So if anyone has any suggestions, or has a case like this they could recommend I would be eternally grateful.
Belkin makes a number of good cases. Had one on my 4S for a year. When I got my 5, I got an Otterbox Commuter, but decided it was way too bulky. Ended up buying a Belkin (view I think, with a soft fogged back). It's sleek, slim, and gives just enough protection. I highly recommend it.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:13 AM   #4
Sarahah
macrumors newbie

I haven't got iphone 5 yet. But I ever purchased a case for iphone 4s from 7daysget. The quality is great, and they have many different special case for iphone. Hope this helps.
Sarahah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHandedSledge View Post

Clear but isn't easily scratched? That crosses cases with plastic backs out, such as the Belkin View. There are several clear cases made of clear TPU, but those stain over time due to the nature of the material.

You're going to have to compromise somewhere if you want clear.

The clear TPU cases are generally low quality and made in China. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-C.../dp/B0093VGIMQ
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
jfrancis04
macrumors 6502a

http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-...-iphone-5.html
jfrancis04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 AM   #7
ceezy
macrumors member

I'm almost at the same place as the op...having trouble finding what I want.

Want something that doesn't take away from the beauty of the iphone but offers some decent protection. Had 3 iphones but having trouble finding what I want for my white 5.

Loved the apple bumper on my 4, but I ended up cracking the glass on the back when I dropped the bag that it was in once, thankfully the glass was replaced but it made me nervous about using a bumper since it doesn't protect the exposed back. Perhaps a bumper and some sort of good back protection (or front too) combination would be what I need??? Just like something a bit like the Belkin clear case but better (as you hear a lot saying the back gets scratched and it looks awful)...not sure what I should go with. Perhaps a frosty transparent type case. I had a case similar to that gemshell for my 4, thinking about trying something like that.

Just think they could design something that let the phone still look like the iPhone but still offered protection
ceezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancis04 View Post
Forgot all about this case. I saw it the other day. I still think it'll look dingy over time.

CONFIRMED: Some of these reviews report yellowing. This is the iPhone 4/4S version, but they're the same material. http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products...owViewpoints=1

Speck has good quality products, but this case also looks nice.
http://www.amazon.com/Laza-Flexible-.../dp/B009CN1BF4

Last edited by RichardC300; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories