Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:52 AM   #101
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
The core, most important parts, CPU, GPU, screen resolution, are all iPad 2
And it is very likely iPad 2 can do Siri, just Apple will not allow it.
CPUs are the same in the 2, 3, and mini.....the 'X' in A5X simply adds GPU power as evidenced by equal benchmarks for the three devices.

I stand by my point that the mini is just as close to the iPad 3 (in fact maybe closer) than the iPad 2.

Siri is the same as an upgraded camera....a new feature that you pay more for. Just because the software could be run on the iPad 2 doesn't mean the feature isn't a differentiating factor between two devices.....Apple could've added an 8 mp camera to the iPad 2 when it was made....but they didn't.

Just because it is a piece of software, doesn't mean it's not a feature that moves the mini closer to the 3....despite your personal opinions about Siri's usefulness and effectiveness.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #102
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
CPUs are the same in the 2, 3, and mini.....the 'X' in A5X simply adds GPU power as evidenced by equal benchmarks for the three devices.

I stand by my point that the mini is just as close to the iPad 3 (in fact maybe closer) than the iPad 2.

Siri is the same as an upgraded camera....a new feature that you pay more for. Just because the software could be run on the iPad 2 doesn't mean the feature isn't a differentiating factor between two devices.....Apple could've added an 8 mp camera to the iPad 2 when it was made....but they didn't.

Just because it is a piece of software, doesn't mean it's not a feature that moves the mini closer to the 3....despite your personal opinions about Siri's usefulness and effectiveness.
Well, then you are effectively saying the iPad 3 is just and iPad 2 with higher resolution screen.

Cameras, BT, Siri, and Cell if equipped are all icing on the cake. In the end, the CPU/GPU and Screen are what really matters.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:51 PM   #103
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
In the end, the CPU/GPU and Screen are what really matters.
Your very good at stating the obvious. Of course the core components that make it function and directly affect performance are what really matter. You did leave out the RAM though.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:24 PM   #104
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well, then you are effectively saying the iPad 3 is just and iPad 2 with higher resolution screen.

Cameras, BT, Siri, and Cell if equipped are all icing on the cake. In the end, the CPU/GPU and Screen are what really matters.
The 3 is just a 2 with upgraded screen. The graphics power is similar because the extra power is all used for driving the higher resolution.

The mini is essentially identical to the 3 in terms of performance and features, while its identical to the 2 in CPU and screen resolution.
Jman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:35 PM   #105
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
The 3 is just a 2 with upgraded screen. The graphics power is similar because the extra power is all used for driving the higher resolution.

The mini is essentially identical to the 3 in terms of performance and features, while its identical to the 2 in CPU and screen resolution.
Heck, I'd say in terms of "features", the Mini is closer to the 4th gen iPad. They have the same rear camera, front camera, improved Wifi and LTE, plus lightening.

The Mini has the SoC (CPU/GPU/RAM) and resolution of the iPad 2, and all other features FFC/RFC/WiFi/Siri/Lightening/LTE are the same as the 4.
D.T. is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:42 PM   #106
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brand View Post
Your very good at stating the obvious. Of course the core components that make it function and directly affect performance are what really matter. You did leave out the RAM though.
True. Mini has 512MB of RAM, just like iPad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post

Heck, I'd say in terms of "features", the Mini is closer to the 4th gen iPad. They have the same rear camera, front camera, improved Wifi and LTE, plus lightening.

The Mini has the SoC (CPU/GPU/RAM) and resolution of the iPad 2, and all other features FFC/RFC/WiFi/Siri/Lightening/LTE are the same as the 4.
But what is most important part of device?
Cellular?
Camera?
BT?
SIRI?
CPU/GPU/RAM/Screen?
Battery?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #107
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:

That's precisely what I'm saying....

The iPad 3 IS most definitely an iPad 2 with a higher resolution screen (and as a result more GPU power to run said screen).

It also has Siri, better BT, cameras and LTE - but as you said, all that is icing on the cake.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Exactly my point.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:10 PM   #108
MattZani
macrumors 68020

I personally feel the full size iPad is a bit too big/heavy, the mini just seems so light, more usable day to day.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 04:57 PM   #109
WeegieMac

Quote:

The iPad 3 IS most definitely an iPad 2 with a higher resolution screen (and as a result more GPU power to run said screen).

It also has Siri, better BT, cameras and LTE - but as you said, all that is icing on the cake.
And twice the RAM ...
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:02 PM   #110
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
And twice the RAM ...
Yes, yes....RAM RAM RAM....lol

I just hope the next iPad has 256 GB of RAM and nothing else....maybe then it'll be a worthwhile device....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 05:52 PM   #111
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
iPad mini = iPad 3 = iPad 2.

OK!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:22 PM   #112
WeegieMac

Quote:
Yes, yes....RAM RAM RAM....lol

I just hope the next iPad has 256 GB of RAM and nothing else....maybe then it'll be a worthwhile device....
No need to get narky.

If you're going to prattle off specs to attempt a point, at least get them right.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:17 PM   #113
kazmac
macrumors 68000

If I buy another iPad it will be a mini

After I realized the iPad is not the content creating mobile device I need, watching movies on my iPhone 4s is a sobering experience.

I'm grateful I have choice.

I realized the larger iPad just wasn't for me as far as writing/coursework and reading goes, but I'm spoiled by a bit of a larger screen for watching movies on the go.

The Mini's weight, size and price appeal to me for what I would ultimately use a Mini for (content only.)

I'll keep my eyes peeled and hang back for a while before I make my decision, but I can already see how much I miss something larger for watching films and playing games.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:57 PM   #114
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
If cost is the big issue, how will the rumored new/cheaper/larger iPhone fair against the flagship iPhone which will be more expensive...?

Will the same thing happen like the Mini. Will the cheaper iPhone eat at the iPhone's pie and consume the market?
If they release a new, cheaper iPhone model next to their flagship model then yes, it will outsell the flagship model on the same premise.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:33 PM   #115
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
The screen is twice the physical size, but four times the surface area.
OMG This is priceless!!!!!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:48 PM   #116
Squilly
macrumors 68020

I still don't get it. Everyone wanted a big screened iPad when it originally debuted, now people want a smaller one. Yet, the original is still extremely portable.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:06 PM   #117
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

When I had mine, I loved the fact that I can use all my existing iPhone apps and did not need to purchase special HD versions.

Oh and it fitted perfectly in my jacket. Regular ipad, no.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:17 PM   #118
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I still don't get it. Everyone wanted a big screened iPad when it originally debuted, now people want a smaller one. Yet, the original is still extremely portable.

Who is everyone? The size of the iPad is the only reason I never purchased one. Well that and my bank account.

My bank account was too small, the iPad was too big.
ericrwalker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:01 PM   #119
shaown
macrumors member

I have a 64 GB LTE iPad Mini - cost was clearly not a constraint.

As a former iPad 2 and an iPad 3 owner - I can state clearly that I prefer the Mini for the following reasons.

Portability. iPad 2/3/4 portability sucked for me. It required I carry a bag for it - and was not that much smaller than my Macbook Air. So I tended to bring both or just the laptop. The mini can be stuffed in the front pocket of my Jeans - and fits in my Coat/jacket pockets, or often within a suit jacket pocket.

Size/Weight - I am an avid Kindle user (owned Kindle 1, 3, Touch and now a Paperwhite) - but I am finally using the iPad Mini for a lot of reading. Its light enough to be comfortable.

I was a heavy iPad user - but the mini has just spiked it waaay up. That being said - if I was in a 2 iPad family - one would be a regular (for home) and the other a mini (for out of home).

I am biased cause I am stuck with a blackberry for phone - so having the mini around a lot is great for me when I am out and about.

-Shaown
shaown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:58 PM   #120
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad?

It's all about the stereo speakers. The Mini is stereo. Everyone wants stereo speakers. Who wants a $600 mono iPad, what is this, the 1970's?
ActionableMango is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:47 PM   #121
TJ5921
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionablemango View Post
it's all about the stereo speakers. The mini is stereo. Everyone wants stereo speakers. Who wants a $600 mono ipad, what is this, the 1970's?
this.
TJ5921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 PM   #122
AppleDApp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
It's all about the stereo speakers. The Mini is stereo. Everyone wants stereo speakers. Who wants a $600 mono iPad, what is this, the 1970's?
Waiting for the regular iPad to get stereo output and inductive charging.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:27 AM   #123
thegreatdivorce
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZani View Post
I personally feel the full size iPad is a bit too big/heavy, the mini just seems so light, more usable day to day.
What would make you grab the iPad 3 over the Mini, then? I still don't get the need to have an iPhone, iPad, and iPad Mini.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:38 AM   #124
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?
It's cheaper.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:51 AM   #125
bandrews
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Lizardo View Post
OMG This is priceless!!!!!
Reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
bandrews is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad