Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I had an iPad but when the girlfriend stole it I'd lost the desire for one.

After apple announced the mini I was curious again, but the price point and screen were a turn off. Bought a nexus 7 and its perfect for an in between device. Nice to have a mix of operating systems too

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
It's cheaper.

Except I would have paid without complaint if they'd charged more, because I wanted this size. I could have afforded a full sized iPad (used to own one), but I wanted smaller. If I wanted cheaper, there are lots of Android options I could have gone to, and they are considerably cheaper.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Except I would have paid without complaint if they'd charged more, because I wanted this size. I could have afforded a full sized iPad (used to own one), but I wanted smaller. If I wanted cheaper, there are lots of Android options I could have gone to, and they are considerably cheaper.

This would account for it being as popular as the full iPad, but it being $180 cheaper has made it more popular than the full iPad.

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
i work in a bar in germany, we were one of the first wifi-places in our town, so there are lots of apple products "sitting around"...
lots of macbooks mostly 13"s
some macbook airs usually 13"s as well.
and the number of ipads is growing as well

owning an ipad mini myself i've only seen one other ipad mini in the last 2 months: the one i recommended ... (he saw mine, and fell in love with it and bought it... !)

well well ..

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This would account for it being as popular as the full iPad, but it being $180 cheaper has made it more popular than the full iPad.

You're quantifying something (based on what?) and I just can't follow you there.

What if the population of people who wanted smaller iPads was twice as large as the population of people who wanted full sized iPads?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You're quantifying something (based on what?) and I just can't follow you there.

What if the population of people who wanted smaller iPads was twice as large as the population of people who wanted full sized iPads?

Maybe, but that's an unknown.

The population of people who wanted a $320 Mini with its current specs might be twice the size, but the population of people who want the mini with its current specs at $500 is logically smaller. How much smaller is the question.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Maybe, but that's an unknown.

The population of people who wanted a $320 Mini with its current specs might be twice the size, but the population of people who want the mini with its current specs at $500 is logically smaller. How much smaller is the question.

All true I don't disagree, but it doesn't change the point that I wanted smaller, and that's what Apple built (not for me personally<grin>), and I keep harping on this in various threads just because people always assume price is the number 1 criteria when choosing and buying, and it's not, and especially not with Apple and its products.

Looking at it the other way is important where the flip side is even more true, meaning Apple doesn't build products intended to be less expensive or cheaper (which connotes other things besides price), they build products that just happen to be less expensive than others. If price had been the defining feature of the mini from concept drawing board through to shipped unit, I'm certain we wouldn't have got the product we got, and I'm thrilled with how they did it keeping price out of the main equation. If they do a new phone, this is how I would expect them to approach it - not a cheaper or less expensive phone, but a phone with limited features or different size or ???

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Rendering of what the iPad full size can look with thinner bezel: http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/16/what-...esign-is-applied-to-the-10-inch-ipad-mockups/

I really like it. I think when the day comes that the Mini gets Retina and the large iPad shrinks/slims down like this, it'll blur the two devices a bit and be a hard decision to make...

ipad5-mockup-render-02.jpg

ipad5-mockup-render-03.jpg

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I don't get the point of the mini unless it's purely price.

For portability you have the iPhone, for practical use you have the iPad.

If I am sat in McDonald (Other fast food restaurants are available) with my iPad 4 and someone is next to me with a mini, which is the better device? the iPad 4 of course.

In the above scenario no one would choose the mini over the ipad would they? "Oh, I prefer the mini because the screen is worse and I need to wear my glasses because it's smaller" is not cogent argument.

With me, function is God. If it's bigger and heavier, but better then I'm all for it.

Are there any times where a mini is the only option? Of course not. If you are able to see through the hype you'll carry the extra few grams and bask in your superiority over the poor soul thinking he's got the better device because it fits in hit pocket. *rolls eyes*

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

If I am sat in McDonald (Other fast food restaurants are available) with my iPad 4 and someone is next to me with a mini, which is the better device? the iPad 4 of course.

In the above scenario no one would choose the mini over the ipad would they? "Oh, I prefer the mini because the screen is worse and I need to wear my glasses because it's smaller" is not cogent argument.

With me, function is God. If it's bigger and heavier, but better then I'm all for it.

Are there any times where a mini is the only option? Of course not. If you are able to see through the hype you'll carry the extra few grams and bask in your superiority over the poor soul thinking he's got the better device because it fits in hit pocket. *rolls eyes*

There is nothing the iPad 4 can do that the Mini cant not. It functions every bit as well as the iPad 4. Plus it looks so much better. If you are going to use the argument "it's so more powerful", this is really redundant. As long as the Mini can run all the apps the iPad 4 can, even if it is a second slower to open a PDF (what, is your life gonna end waiting?), you just sound bad claiming "superiority". As for the screen, Mini users knew what they were buying when they chose them, the lack of retina is really not an issue when it is so light and has a smaller footprint. Just my thoughts...and I have owned both but sold the 4.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013

Really, it depends on the person and what they want to use it for. An iPad mini might be better for people who travel a lot. A 300 gram saving in weight is quite significant when travelling long distances. Its size means it will also save space, also significant when travelling. A mini also fits in lab coat pockets for scientists, doctors etc. A mini also fits in handbags more than a full sized iPad. It might also be better for schools with younger pupils who have smaller hands. An iphone might not be sufficient for a lot of these uses simply because the screen is too small. I can think of many other reasons too.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
There is nothing the iPad 4 can do that the Mini cant not. It functions every bit as well as the iPad 4. Plus it looks so much better. If you are going to use the argument "it's so more powerful", this is really redundant. As long as the Mini can run all the apps the iPad 4 can, even if it is a second slower to open a PDF (what, is your life gonna end waiting?), you just sound bad claiming "superiority". As for the screen, Mini users knew what they were buying when they chose them, the lack of retina is really not an issue when it is so light and has a smaller footprint. Just my thoughts...and I have owned both but sold the 4.

It might have trouble running high end games which take advantage of the iPad 4s quad core graphics processor but other than that I agree, the mini can do everything the 4 can.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I wouldn't have thought so, but I see a lot consumers buying both, esp if ipad 5 is a major redisign. If you go to the base models--which i do--that only $900 tied up in tablet technology. Not bad if think how integral the devices are

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Serious?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.