Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

distemp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Hello all!

I'm hoping someone here can help...or at least point me in the right direction. My external hard drive was unplugged from its power source and now when I plug it in it is recognized by Finder but when I click on it I get a beach ball and I have to restart my computer to use finder again. There is also an error that appears each time it is plugged in that says that the drive was not ejected properly last time. The drive shows in finder and on the desktop, but does not appear in Disk Utility.

Is there any way to fix the drive? Or at least save some/all of the data?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
Hello all!

I'm hoping someone here can help...or at least point me in the right direction. My external hard drive was unplugged from its power source and now when I plug it in it is recognized by Finder but when I click on it I get a beach ball and I have to restart my computer to use finder again. There is also an error that appears each time it is plugged in that says that the drive was not ejected properly last time. The drive shows in finder and on the desktop, but does not appear in Disk Utility.

Is there any way to fix the drive? Or at least save some/all of the data?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

if go to www. macupdate.com there is a new app just put on there. called lazesoft mac data recovery this might help save some files off your drive it free app so if not work not cost anything to try

distemp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
if go to www. macupdate.com there is a new app just put on there. called lazesoft mac data recovery this might help save some files off your drive it free app so if not work not cost anything to try

I'll try that, thank you!

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
Apparently there is an "invalid node structure"

if go to macupdate .com search for ntfs-3g or ntfs-mac or osxfuse i think one of these apps say can repair ext. hdd if removed before ejecting maybe help out if they work as never had it happen to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.