Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:04 AM   #1
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Some advice getting unstuck...

So throughout University I've had little issues deciding what I want to do. But recently I've been having issues just deciding what I would like to do for my honours project. I have another month to decide and I'm no closer than where I was a couple of months ago. I've had some ideas, they weren't suitable for whatever reason and my latest attempt was one offered by a Math lecturer. The algorithm he wants me to learn and compete against has only one, extremely badly written paper on it.

I'm not asking you to give me ideas, just for some advice on how I could come up with another idea on my own.
MorphingDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
numero
macrumors member

I don't know what parameters you are required to stay within. Does it have to be academic in nature or can it be a project for the real world? Either way I think my advice will work.

Find someone with a problem. If you can't find someone with a self diagnosed problem, look for someone with a latent problem. Some people don't know they have a problem. They just go about life dealing with the manual tasks they have always completed. My first choice is to go ask small business owners what is the largest necessary, but unprofitable use of their time. What problem do they have that if you could reduce or eliminate their time on it they would give you 2 hours per week to help you with your project. You will need them in the beginning to help define the problem. You can probably leave them alone for the middle part. Then you will need them at the end to run through what you created and provide feedback.

If you must stay within the academic world then adjust your customer to a department head or professor. Same type of questions for them. What bogs you down? Where do you spend time that isn't directly related to your core work (teaching, research), but is required to keep the paycheck coming in?
numero is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming