Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
So I got the iPhone 5 and was using it for about one week, throughout the week the power button just decided to stop working. Took it to the Apple store and they said they couldn't replace it? How much do I have to pay to get this fixed...pretty pissed that my brand new iPhone 5's power button is screwed up?

Thanks guys.

Ethan

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
If it just "stopped" working then they should replace it. If there was some evidence of physical damage then they will deny you a replacement.

Rotten Peaches

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
I had been having the same issue for about a month. The top sleep/wake button would not work unless you pressed VERY hard on the left tip of the button. Even then it was unreliable at best. This got very frustrating and I eventually had to drive two hours to the local Apple store to get it replaced.

I'd suggest going to the Apple site and doing the online chat with a representative. They should be able to assist.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Makes no sense. The Apple store should have given you the options and not this forum. :eek:

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Unless there's a dent over the power button there is no reason they shouldn't have swapped it out...

There's a small scratch on the other side the one where the power button isn't but the genius said because that is there that means no replacement?

----------

If it just "stopped" working then they should replace it. If there was some evidence of physical damage then they will deny you a replacement.

Again, there was a scratch on the other side of the phone the one not next to the power button but they still denied replacement?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Of course I don't know if this is an option but if you can go to a different location (making another appointment of course).

If not, return to that location w/ an appt and pray you don't get the same not-so-friendly genius again. Let them know your issue and they should do nothing short of swapping it. You didn't (at least, AFAIK) spill anything on it or bash the button in. It's shoddy workmanship that caused this problem.

Good luck. I have had an experience or two lately with the Apple Store not owning up to purely hardware/manufacturing problems. You just have to press them...or worse ask for a manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.