Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:03 AM   #1
skysailing
macrumors regular

Fingerprint Sensor is the break Apple needs.

I just a read an article that talks about the fingerprint sensor in depth. It talks about the added security and how it can virtually change passwords forever, as well as being an amazing innovation on Apple's part. This could be the break that Apple needs considering people have been complaining about how Apple hasn't innovated anything. This could be iOS 7:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/16/home-button-fingerprint-sensor-in-iphone-5s-would-give-apple-a-new-leg-up-on-the-competition
skysailing is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:09 AM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
I just a read an article that talks about the fingerprint sensor in depth. It talks about the added security and how it can virtually change passwords forever, as well as being an amazing innovation on Apple's part. This could be the break that Apple needs considering people have been complaining about how Apple hasn't innovated anything. This could be iOS 7:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...he-competition
I'd be very interested to see their implementation...but 2 things:
  1. Apple doesn't need a "break"
  2. Apple didn't invent fingerprint sensors
If they do it well, though, it certainly wouldn't hurt them to add this.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Fanboi4life
macrumors regular

Am I the only one who's not overly excited about a fingerprint sensor?

Gimmicky IMO...
Fanboi4life is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:22 AM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboi4life View Post

Gimmicky IMO...
I'm 100% certain that no, you are not the only one.

Gimmicky if implemented poorly, not gimmicky (and possibly so much more) if implemented well.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

This is just another completely pointless "upgrade" if you will. How many times in a day do you honnestly see yourself constantly scanning your finger unlock your phone? Waste of time and effort.
ant the ninja is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
SR45
Banned

I definitely would like to have this as well, so yes you must be one of the few that is not exited about this Any added security is always welcomed
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:26 AM   #7
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

The Motorola Atrix has one. Me and my buddy got this phone, and stopped using the fingerprint scanner once the novelty wore off.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
This is just another completely pointless "upgrade" if you will. How many times in a day do you honnestly see yourself constantly scanning your finger unlock your phone? Waste of time and effort.
How many times? I'd speculate that it'd be maybe somewhere around the amount of times that I currently input my passcode.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:35 AM   #9
TSX
macrumors 68030

The finger print sensor is like 10 years old I've seen notebooks with it back in the day. Apparently it didn't catch on.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:37 AM   #10
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Gimmicky IMO...
I'd see much more in Senseg tactile feedback technology. It allows you to actually feel different textures: sandpaper, water, regular sand, rubber, coton, etc.

How great would that be? Imagine all the new games that would show up in the App Store. Imagine the great new possibilities for the visually impaired. Imagine the over-all added experience (for example: you can 'feel' they keys on the virtual keyboard, and if you push slightly harder you will actually push the key; a virtual keyboard, could be made into a simulated 'real' keyboard).
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Gimmicky IMO...
It's not gimmicky when you can use this sensor to do all of the following:

- Authenticate mobile payments
- Unlock your phone (no more passcode! Businesses will love this)
- Authenticate app store or itunes store purchases

The list can go on, but those are three NON GIMMICKY constant password required items that would be gladly replaced by a finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...he-competition
First it's not really that innovative, this technology has been around for a while, but not on mobile phones. Second, they don't need a "break", when you start taking breaks you have failed as an innovative company.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

It would be a cool and useful tool (as others have said, mobile payments, mobile banking apps, unlocking the home screen, etc.) but I hardly consider it a "game changer"...I can't imagine someone picking one phone over the other because of this single feature. It would be cool to have though if implemented well and if it works smoothly/quickly/consistently.

I don't lock my home screen because I check my phone 1000 times a day and I hate the idea of having to type in a password every single time. A quick scan of my finger to unlock it would be pretty cool though. But the moment it doesn't pick up on your print quickly and accurately and you have to rescan it, then if it doesn't work you have to type in your password...it would only take a couple times of that scenario to happen for users to ditch it entirely and just go back to the manual password entry method.
sdilley14 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:54 AM   #13
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

So including useless tech is "innovating" these days? Good to know.
Interstella5555 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:58 AM   #14
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
It's not gimmicky when you can use this sensor to do all of the following:

- Authenticate mobile payments
- Unlock your phone (no more passcode! Businesses will love this)
- Authenticate app store or itunes store purchases

The list can go on, but those are three NON GIMMICKY constant password required items that would be gladly replaced by a finger.

First it's not really that innovative, this technology has been around for a while, but not on mobile phones. Second, they don't need a "break", when you start taking breaks you have failed as an innovative company.
Wow, that would suck if you're in a situation where you need someone else to unlock your iPhone.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

i would rather the phone detect it was in my hand and be usable, forget fingerprints, i want dna detection
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:01 AM   #16
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
Wow, that would suck if you're in a situation where you need someone else to unlock your iPhone.
Yup, it sure would. Same as if you were using your phone outdoors with 'smart' gloves. But if implemented in such a way that there was a passcode input option, such as the "Emergency Call" button on the current passcode screen, then that'd solve that.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:20 AM   #17
pat park
macrumors 6502a

I play guitar and my fingertips get mangled sometimes. I even have skin peeling off at times. Will this work for me or will I be locked out of my phone?

What if I chop a finger off?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:20 AM   #18
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Yup, it sure would. Same as if you were using your phone outdoors with 'smart' gloves. But if implemented in such a way that there was a passcode input option, such as the "Emergency Call" button on the current passcode screen, then that'd solve that.
Wouldn't that negate having the finger-print scanner though? I'm just thinking out loud... It reminds me of when Google announced the facial recognition unlock feature.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:25 AM   #19
ahfu25
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSX View Post
The finger print sensor is like 10 years old I've seen notebooks with it back in the day. Apparently it didn't catch on.
Wait for apple to implement it....it will be as if they invented it..lol
ahfu25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:28 AM   #20
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
Wouldn't that negate having the finger-print scanner though? I'm just thinking out loud... It reminds me of when Google announced the facial recognition unlock feature.
Not the way I see it, since it'd be a secondary option in addition to the fingerprint one.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:30 AM   #21
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

sure, everybody right now is all "who needs this its completely useles blablabla" and the day when Tim Cook says "We have integrated new outstanding technology into our new amazing iphone - fingerprint scanner. It's truly magical."

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: removed inappropriate comment
Smartass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:32 AM   #22
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
But the moment it doesn't pick up on your print quickly and accurately and you have to rescan it, then if it doesn't work you have to type in your password...it would only take a couple times of that scenario to happen for users to ditch it entirely and just go back to the manual password entry method.
This exactly. I had a fingerprint scanner on a Toshiba laptop that I bought in 2007. I scanned my thumbprint to store it and it worked maybe once or twice after that. I disabled the dang thing soon after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
sure, everybody right now is all "who needs this its completely useles blablabla" and the day when Tim Cook says "We have integrated new outstanding technology into our new amazing iphone - fingerprint scanner. It's truly magical."
Your username is very fitting. Most people on here are smart enough to know useless tech from everything else. Usually my reaction to newer tech like passbook/siri/dnd/whatever else they put out there is "Eh, I'll see how useful it really is when I try it."

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: removed inappropriate comment from quoted post
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:35 AM   #23
dojoman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Gimmicky IMO...
If Apple implement it right I won't be gimmicky. How do you unlock your phone? By swiping the bar right? If they put fingerprint sensor behind LCD, fingerprint reading process is transparent to user. Just because the same feature on Android is useless it doesn't mean it will be for all. Let me guess... on the Android phone the sensor is separate module like back in the days from IBM laptop?
dojoman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:37 AM   #24
thewitt
macrumors 68000

The fingerprint tech that Apple bought is very advanced.

It can read through glass or plastic so it could simply be integrated into the home button.

It can read several layers deep in your skin, so surface damage does little to change readability.

It can detect whether there is blood flow in the finger or not - so no one could cut off your finger to unlock your phone.

With this, the passcode could become an optional unlock method. Add NFC and you have an extremely secure payment system which could easily incentivize credit card companies to push this technology to reduce fraudulent card use.

You could also automatically recognize different users and support different login accounts and access permissions.

Very cool enabling technology.
thewitt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:52 AM   #25
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

If it's anything like the technology in the BAT/HIIDE system I used overseas, I will pass. Callused skin, cuts, etc almost made it impossible to get fingerprints sometimes that would be accepted by the system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-16 at 10.49.44 AM.png
Views:	35
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	390595  

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone