Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
Lately I've been having a lot of trouble with video stalling for a long time and USB file transfers taking far longer than before. I disconnected the two oldest USB drives, and it seemed to be better, for a while, but now I can't play a video without that long stalling thing, and VLC player told me my computer was too slow.

ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)
ffmpeg: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)

Well, it never was before! This is recent. So I launch Onyx, and under maintenance/rebuild it comes right up with my MOVIES drive, with a path of /Volumes/MOVIES 1/MOVIES.

Ummm... where is it getting this MOVIES 1 deal? Also, why is it the only USB drive Onyx can see? Did something weird happen to that drive? I renamed the drive to FILMS, restarted, and Onyx still comes back with MOVIES 1/MOVIES.

Something is not right. For a while I switched to using QuickTime, but now that's also slowed way down and getting the same stalling business playing videos.

Anyone know what might the deal be? Apparently it's some issue with ffmpeg.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Using the Go menu in Finder, select the Go To Folder command. Enter /Volumes

Disconnect all your drives. Inside this folder you should see a bunch of aliases that refer to your various drives. Delete all the ones you know are to externally connected drives (or just move them to your desktop and delete them here).

Any time a drive is connected a shortcut to it shows up in this folder. When you disconnect a drive the shortcut dissappears. If a drive is connected and it ever disconnects without being ejected first, the shortcut to it does not dissapear and stays in this folder. The next time you reconnect the drive, Finder creates a new alias but adds a number to the alias (but on the desktop you just see the drive name itself). So your "MOVIES" drive probably disconnected at some point and when you reconnected it, it created a "MOVIES 1" alias. Resolving the alias' to the correct drive can slow things down.

Hope that helps.

P.S. /Volumes is the mountpoint folder for all drives connected to your Mac. There will always be a /Volumes in the file path for any drive connected.

gomtu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Florida
Ah, thank you for that, I did the go thing in Finder, went to Volumes, and found that almost all of my external USB drives are aliases, but I can't remove them, OSX tells me I don't have sufficient privs. Huh?

I can't move the aliases to the trash because of the privs issue, and the MOVIES volume shouldn't be there either, but I can do anything with that either...can't even move them to my desktop, insuff privs.... I'm stumped again.

The MOVIES volume is there, but I renamed it to FILMS, so that's not right. I'm in over my head here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.