Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook Messenger Now Supports Voice Calling for U.S. Accounts

Earlier this month, Facebook updated its Messenger iOS app with beta support for making VoIP calls between Facebook accounts. That feature was initially limited to Canadian iOS accounts but is now being opened to all U.S. accounts, reports The Verge.

To access voice calling, open the Facebook Messenger app, open a chat with someone, and click the 'i' button in the top right corner. If the feature has been activated -- and the other user also has Facebook Messenger for iOS installed -- there should be a "Free Call" button. If it's greyed out, try tapping it anyway. Facebook is rolling out the feature to all users over the next several days.

Quote:
What this means is that if you live in the US, you can now call other Facebook users for free over Wi-Fi or using your phone's data connection while you're on the go. When you call someone, a push notification appears on their screen that says "Ellis Hamburger is calling," for example. The feature is especially critical for people with bad cell service at work or at home, and for those who want to conserve cell phone minutes. It's also a huge step for Facebook -- which with a single feature emerges as one of the largest communities of VoIP users in the world. Yes, competitors Viber, Vonage, and Skype have had the feature for some time, but all have much smaller user bases.
Facebook's efforts create a calling system that can potentially reach its more than 1 billion users, providing a massive competition to other VoIP services like Skype, as well as allowing teenagers using iPod touch devices to make phone calls to friends using Facebook's app.

Facebook Messenger for the iPhone is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Messenger Now Supports Voice Calling for U.S. Accounts
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Where its the dang ipad app!?!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Skype is going down...
MrDc2 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:29 PM   #4
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Wow, this is huge. inb4 cell phone companies block this capability.
ppc_michael is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:33 PM   #5
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes, competitors Viber, Vonage, and Skype have had the feature for some time, but all have much smaller user bases.
Skype's user base is quite substantial. Unfortunately, call notifications were not reliable unless Skype was already one of the semi-active apps during the few times I tried over time. I eventually gave up, so I don't know if it has improved since summer.
theBB is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:34 PM   #6
The Economist
macrumors regular

Nice move.
The Economist is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:41 PM   #7
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Why not just use FaceTime?
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:42 PM   #8
840quadra

Rumors of our editor never smiling are obviously false..

Back on topic, I am looking forward to this for some contacts, however the ability for more people to call me (I have too many people on my FB) is going to get annoying. Thankfully we can still remove our phone Numbers from our friends view, at least we can currently.
840quadra is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Ichabod.
macrumors regular

Good to see more implementation of this feature in spite of AT&T's frustrating policies.

Of course, I'd actually need a facebook account to use this, but it's a step in the right direction.
Ichabod. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:44 PM   #10
ineedanewwallet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGagnon View Post
Because, and here's a big surprise, not everyone wants to make a video call...
ineedanewwallet is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:48 PM   #11
ThirteenXIII
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
from my understanding it can be used on different platforms? or is it just iOS?
same convenience through a different interface

does this work over cellular? if so, people with unlimited data may be able to take advantage of it..
ThirteenXIII is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedanewwallet View Post
Plus the fact that Skype holds a connection better than FaceTime does is pretty emberassing for Apple. My sister told me about it when she tried iPhone 5 to iPhone 5 with her friend, I thought it must have been a rare problem but then I tried with my iPhone 4S and the connection kept cutting out with an error message. Tried Skype right after, no error messages or black screens, the video might have been a bit choppy but it kept the connection at least.
Szarky is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:50 PM   #13
rcalderoni
macrumors member

Another thing to add to the 'download archive of your Facebook data'? "Download all past calls and voice mails..." that have been conveniently recorded for you.
rcalderoni is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
Nice move.
More privacy-loving crap from Mark Sugarloaf? No, thanks.
50548 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #15
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
Skype is going down...
Skype is still holding on to the fact that it has perhaps the best voice quality of all free voice chat apps.
nutmac is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:55 PM   #16
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I was thinking if sometime in the future apple would make a calling service like iMessage where you wouldn't have to pay. would be pretty cool.
wordoflife is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:55 PM   #17
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

I can't wait for Facebook to announce they are changing their TOS agreement so that they have the right to use your voice calls for any commercial use they see fit.

Entrusting phone calls and any other personal information to Facebook is like trusting a convicted child molester to develop photos of your kids. You might get the desired results, but if you saw what they did with your data in the process, you would likely feel sick and regret it.
ProVideo is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:57 PM   #18
LaazyEye
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post
I can't wait for Facebook to announce they are changing their TOS agreement so that they have the right to use your voice calls for any commercial use they see fit.

Entrusting phone calls and any other personal information to Facebook is like trusting a convicted child molester to develop photos of your kids. You might get the desired results, but if you saw what they did with your data in the process, you would likely feel sick and regret it.
That's the price you pay for free.
LaazyEye is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Radio
Banned

Quote:
Nobody uses FaceTime

And not everyone has an iPhone

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVideo View Post

Okay that won't happen

I can't wait for apple to record your keystrokes

Please let me borrow your tin foil hat
Radio is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:59 PM   #20
pookynubber
macrumors newbie

Be Free?

so does this mean the end of the crappy pricing strategies? first it was minimal minutes, then they tried to overcharge on messages (cause it used SO SO much data) then they tried to limit facetime and data....

they will want to get their money somehow but does this mean we can just use an iPhone with only a data connection? they exist but it's hard to get on one.... i believe they exist for folks that aren't able to here..
pookynubber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:00 PM   #21
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedanewwallet View Post
LOL...and not everyone has an iPhone!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:07 PM   #22
pookynubber
macrumors newbie

solution

so i could use the Sprint plan with UNLIMITED data with my iPhone 5. 40 per month? awesome. i currently only pay $50/month for unlimited data but 500 minutes. i guess i'd be able to use skype for companies and such....hmmmm
pookynubber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:07 PM   #23
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmac View Post
Skype is still holding on to the fact that it has perhaps the best voice quality of all free voice chat apps.
Better than my landline at home in fact.
Kissaragi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:08 PM   #24
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
I was thinking if sometime in the future apple would make a calling service like iMessage where you wouldn't have to pay. would be pretty cool.
Nah. Even the Facebook app is not all that exciting. How many people still have minute based calling plans? VERY FEW. Or how many people don't have free mobile to mobile calling? (ATT and Sprint let you call any mobile, any carrier).

There's a reason why Skype never became a mega hit (and sort of the bastard step child now adopted by MS). Not many people have a use for it.

People making international calls might benefit from this. Maybe. Then the call quality... Facebook can't even load the feed half the time, and they're going to maintain phone calls?

I do love the pitch in the article, "or when you're not at home in the office, it can use your mobile data connection." Why would you?

There are peolpe who would benefit from this, but it's going to be a largely ignored feature.

This is why Apple would never do this for voice like they did for iMessage. It's not really needed.
MacAddict1978 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:08 PM   #25
Freebee
macrumors newbie

This could put a "Hurtin" on Skype !!
Freebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion