Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MilkMan4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
So I just purchased a USB to ethernet adaptor (Model KY-LANRD9700) for my MBA 2011, running mountain lion. I opened up the package and it had a driver installation CD. Now since the MBA doesn't have a cd drive, I used remote disc with my other windows laptop. There was a folder named setup, but the only thing in that folder was a .exe extension, and i'm not runnin any windows on my MBA. THe other files were in a fold called USB.LAN,RD9700 Driver.... and I installed the drivers that were in the Mac folder. After restarting my computer like it said, i connected it up to the modem and my MBA, and turned off wi-fi, and nothing was working. Did i Do anything wrong? Do i need to get the drivers elsewhere? Do I somehow have to enable a LAN on my MBA?

HELP!

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I have a generic USB to ethernet adapter from Monoprice.com (paid ~$6 USD for it) and I just plugged it in and it worked...go to your network settings and see if the MBA didn't just auto detect it before you try and load any software?

Good luck!

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
I have the same problem. Someone please help! *bump*

It just should plug in and work.. no need to load any software.

Mine always does. Also bought a Thunderbolt to ethernet cable and it works fine out of the box also.

allanchou

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
So I just purchased a USB to ethernet adaptor (Model KY-LANRD9700) for my MBA 2011, running mountain lion. I opened up the package and it had a driver installation CD. Now since the MBA doesn't have a cd drive, I used remote disc with my other windows laptop. There was a folder named setup, but the only thing in that folder was a .exe extension, and i'm not runnin any windows on my MBA. THe other files were in a fold called USB.LAN,RD9700 Driver.... and I installed the drivers that were in the Mac folder. After restarting my computer like it said, i connected it up to the modem and my MBA, and turned off wi-fi, and nothing was working. Did i Do anything wrong? Do i need to get the drivers elsewhere? Do I somehow have to enable a LAN on my MBA?

HELP!

You can consider using ASIX's USB to LAN controllers inside dongles with the latest Mac OSX driver supporting (http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=ProductList&PLine=71) .

thomaskelly427

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Brewster, New York
I would say you should stick to getting your adapters from places that have a track record of making good products or sticking with first party items if it is a business critical need.

Return it and get an Apple one.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Agreed with the previous poster. It just isn't worth trying to save $5-$10 and buy yourself a bunch of hassle with drivers. Monoprice is a well respected alternative, or just buy the Apple brand. Your time is worth money.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
No need to send it back. Google the info on the dongle to determine what the chip is. Visit the chipmaker's website (almost certainly ASIX) and grab the most up to date driver. The ones on the CD are possibly out of date.

jedreg

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
The KY-LANRD9700 works fine on MBA 2012 using RD9700 drivers from attached CD - simply installed from pkg, rebooted, dongle plugged in and voila, network setting automatically added and do recognize when dongle attached, ethernet connection works fine. No need to overpay genuine gadgets unless you are an Apple purist or need gigabit ethernet (over thunderbolt or usb3)

cheers,
-andy.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The driver for the Apple version is already built in. I noticed this when I was doing bootcamp and while driver installation saw the "USB -> ethernet " driver being installed in Windows.

In Mac OS, they are already there. So if you bought it from a third party and still intend to use it, go online to their support website and see if they have drivers for it.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
The auction says...
"NOTE: Not for Apple MAC OS , WIN7 64Bit system?"

So am afraid that is not going to work.

I took a shot with it, as my cousin claims he got it to work and has the drivers.

He is out of the country now and can't get me the link for a few days so curious if anyone else knew how to obtain it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
He is out of the country now and can't get me the link for a few days so curious if anyone else knew how to obtain it.

Is he in the middle of the Asian jungle without Internet access or something? ;)

Googling probly gives u faster response, *If* ur cousin wasn't fast and loose. Listen to the guy who says "look at chipset."

What are u guys doing with USB adapters anyway. Don't u know you are restricting yourselves to USB2 speed?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Is he in the middle of the Asian jungle without Internet access or something? ;)

Googling probly gives u faster response, *If* ur cousin wasn't fast and loose. Listen to the guy who says "look at chipset."

I dont want to be a wise guy, but seriously why would you say that?

He is on vacation and does not want to be bothered with my requests nor does he want to go online he just wants to relax. So please spare me with such remarks.

He told me about it weeks ago and I just got the adapter a couple of days ago.

Anyways I saw this thread and thought I would find an answer from someone here, and i did not even open a new thread.

But OK. I will check google when I get home and have access to my laptop and adapter.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Yes, that was a bit abrupt.

I keep saying it - buy the Apple one or the Monoprice one. There is no reason to be having to search the web for some obscure drivers.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
Most of these adapters are based on ASIX chips. ASIX offers their drivers for download from their website.

USB 2.0 to 100Mbps Ethernet adapters are usually based on some variant of AX88772 (AX88772A, AX88772B... - they all use the same drivers): http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=86;71;101
just drivers: http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=86

USB 3.0 to 1Gbps Ethernet adapters are usually based on the AX88179: http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=131;71;112
just drivers: http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=131

skoczen

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
Solution for the OP, and RD9700 Chipset adapters

Note that the OP has an RD9700 chipset, so the ASIX drivers won't help, and the drivers off the CD stopped working on Mavericks.

Here's how to get it working if you've got an RD9700 adapter, and you're on 10.10:
http://blog.inkandfeet.com/How-To-U...ernet-Adaptor-Rd9700-On-Mac-Os-1010-Mavericks

Bonus irony points, for the thread: This was actually figured out in the middle of the Asian jungle, so that I could have internet access. :)

michellegzx

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2015
usb ethernet adaptor

I bought a generic ethernet adaptor too (JP1081B) and managed to get the driver downloaded. However according to the manual im supposed to add "Ethernet" in the network panel under system preferences and there is no such option as my macbook is a 2014 version. Is there anything i can do?:(

thanks

skoczen

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
I bought a generic ethernet adaptor too (JP1081B) and managed to get the driver downloaded. However according to the manual im supposed to add "Ethernet" in the network panel under system preferences and there is no such option as my macbook is a 2014 version. Is there anything i can do?:(

thanks

Yep - see my link above :)

michellegzx

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2015
thanks! but i got this message for the second input into the terminal..
/System/Library/Extensions/USBCDCEthernet.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not loadable (reason unspecified); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
vlan-2638-10-16-159-210:~ MICH$
what went wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.