Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1
horace528
macrumors regular

Recommendation for hard disk

Hello MacRumors Forums
Today marks my 2nd hard disk to break. I'm pretty much sick of this process happening over and over again.
I want to find a reliable company for hard drives, or just any hard drive. I'm a video editor, so I need a reliable hard disk with high security and one that does not break that easily. Preferably 500GB to 1TB of size. But I would want a product that has a reliable price, not like something of a 200$ price tag.
USB 2.0 is preferred. Not that there would be a USB 1.1 hard drive in the market today. Maybe even USB 3.0

Hope you can help me.
horace528 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2
rpaloalto
macrumors 6502a

I like and trust these
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go
rpaloalto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

Any drive can/will fail but I favor Hitachi drives like this one:
7K750
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
nep61
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by horace528 View Post
Hello MacRumors Forums
Today marks my 2nd hard disk to break. I'm pretty much sick of this process happening over and over again.
I want to find a reliable company for hard drives, or just any hard drive. I'm a video editor, so I need a reliable hard disk with high security and one that does not break that easily. Preferably 500GB to 1TB of size. But I would want a product that has a reliable price, not like something of a 200$ price tag.
USB 2.0 is preferred. Not that there would be a USB 1.1 hard drive in the market today. Maybe even USB 3.0

Hope you can help me.
If you're a video editor, USB 2.0 won't cut it.... imho...
I prefer FW800 for editing... and soon, hopefully a Thunderbolt set up.

I like G-TECH drives.... Personal favorites, I have 3... 1 is a 500GB, and 2 of them are 2TB... all hooked up through FW800.

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/G-Tech...303037403.aspx
nep61 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by horace528 View Post
Hello MacRumors Forums

Hope you can help me.
If you need reliable then what you want is some type is RAID. The simplest is a mirror (aka "RAID-0"). These systems can continue to operate after a drive fails. I think most video and audio editors are using RAID. The bigger systems are using something like RAID5 or RAID10 but for smaller systems RAID0 is the best option.

The price can be steep but if your job depends on it what is an extra $200? The company to look at is "g-tech". maybe one of these
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid.cfm
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:10 PM   #6
jtara
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
The simplest is a mirror (aka "RAID-0").
Actually, mirror is RAID-1.

RAID-0 is striped. It can be as much as n times as fast (at thorughput) as a single drive where n is the number of drives). The downside it it cuts reliability by a divisor of n, since if any one drive fails, you have data loss.

RAID-1 is mirrored. It's a naive' attempt at improving reliability, but not much used any more.

Higher levels of RAID can improve reliability dramatically. With the right hot-swap equipment, you can remove a drive, replace it with a blank drive, while the system is running, and not lose anything. With the right hardwae controller, it can also improve throughput.

You will need an internal PCIe card (needs Mac Pro) or Thunderbolt for maximum transfer speed. USB2 makes pretty-much all this moot.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Have you thought of trying a USB3/SATA docking station?

Some to check out:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...usb3+sata+dock

I noticed "security" in your post. If you want to physically secure the drives, just eject them from the dock and lock them in a desk drawer or safe.

A docking station makes it easy to replace a failing drive. Just get another bare drive, put it in.

There are now dual docks that can "replicate" disk drives, as well.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:25 AM   #8
jtara
macrumors 65816

There are many great carrier-less docks for SATA drives. I have two in my Linux system (which uses an internal, non-docked SSD for the system and user filesystems), and an external "toaster". I'm a big fan of these, and they are all relatively inexpensive. Much better than the old days when you needed to screw drives into some goofy and expensive carrier if you wanted to be able to easily remove and replace them.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
durruti
macrumors regular

See "Cougar extreme" Thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1527250
durruti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:35 PM   #10
throAU
macrumors 68030

If you want reliability, you want a RAID-1 enclosure with 2 drives at least, so that you can tolerate a drive failure.

ALL drives will fail at some point. ALL manufacturers have a percentage of drives that fail early. Buying brand X because it is considered more reliable and relying on that may end in tears.

If your data is important, don't trust any single drive with it - ensure you have at least 2 copies at all times.

Note: RAID is not a replacement for backups. Human error happens, and so does theft.

And as to RAID1 being naive and not used very much any more? BS. It is often used in enterprise SANs combined with RAID0 (striping across a RAID1 mirror) to give a good mix of speed and reliability. It is often used as the system drive RAID level for maximum reliability.

For write heavy workloads it is much faster than RAID5 or RAID6. It is more reliable than RAID5. Higher RAID number doesn't automaticlly mean more reliable.

RAID10 is more reliable than RAID50 for example.

The big problems with RAID5 vs RAID1 mirroring are write performance, time to rebuild and array performance whilst degraded.

Yes, it "wastes" more space than RAID5 and other RAID levels. But disk capacity is cheap. Speed is not.

edit:
I am an enterprise storage administrator...

Last edited by throAU; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:15 PM   #11
horace528
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
If you need reliable then what you want is some type is RAID. The simplest is a mirror (aka "RAID-0"). These systems can continue to operate after a drive fails. I think most video and audio editors are using RAID. The bigger systems are using something like RAID5 or RAID10 but for smaller systems RAID0 is the best option.

The price can be steep but if your job depends on it what is an extra $200? The company to look at is "g-tech". maybe one of these
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid.cfm
Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking of getting that G-RAID mini, since I can't really spend that much money, but I wanted to ask a really n00b question. How fast can FireWire 800 trasfer files? The reason is that I really never used FireWire 800, and I want to know how fast it is before I watched it.
horace528 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice