Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

Post Adblock with Safari

Is there adblock plugin available for iPad/iOS 6 ? Or do I need to ise third part browser? With Android there was system wide adblock available which made web browsing really nice. With Safari there are momens when I think that page loading is finished and try to click a link when all of sudden Safari finishes loading an add and because I also pointed at location on screem which I though was for the link Safari opens that ad instead. Very frustrating, surfing feels worse now and then than with a chinese cheap Android pad which has adblock and alsp faster CPU. Because iPad mini costs 3-4x the price of a chinapad you would expect that.
Zotaccian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
VolceOntra
macrumors regular

If you have a Mac, you can use glimmerblocker and set up a proxy on the phone to go through your Mac IP.... Other than that, no
VolceOntra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Its not that serious..that happens to me very rarely your blowing this out of proportion.
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotaccian View Post
Is there adblock plugin available for iPad/iOS 6 ? Or do I need to ise third part browser? With Android there was system wide adblock available which made web browsing really nice. With Safari there are momens when I think that page loading is finished and try to click a link when all of sudden Safari finishes loading an add and because I also pointed at location on screem which I though was for the link Safari opens that ad instead. Very frustrating, surfing feels worse now and then than with a chinese cheap Android pad which has adblock and alsp faster CPU. Because iPad mini costs 3-4x the price of a chinapad you would expect that.
Hyperbole much?
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

No this really is a thing which bothers me and since it does not usually require much effort (or atleast so I thought) it would be nice if there was a way to do it. With regular computers, I install adblockers regardless of what OS I'm running, it's the content which matters, not ads.

EDIT: Mercury Browser includes buil in adblock so that is one option.

Last edited by Zotaccian; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
stevelam
macrumors 65816

no. only jailbroken iphones can install system-wide adblock.
stevelam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Tyler23
macrumors 601

I agree it would be a nice addition, but highly doubt we'll ever see it.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Apple should introduce this feature.
Since iOS is a MAJOR player in mobile ads for Google it would be a giant middle finger.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:30 PM   #9
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Its not that serious..that happens to me very rarely your blowing this out of proportion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
Hyperbole much?
I would say it all depends on what sites the OP is going to.

Don't assume that everyone's browsing habits are like your own. From my own experience, I use a handful of sites that have that issue and throw up full page ads just as it finishes loading. If those were the only pages I frequented, I could easily understand the OP's frustration.

Clearly it was enough of an issue for the OP for them to make a post and request assistance. The last thing they, or anyone on this site, needs are others telling them that their problems aren't issues - instead of actually offering help or being productive.
cyks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Zotaccian
macrumors 6502a

The problem is most annoying when my iPad Mini for some reason does not have good WiFi reception, it still loads actual content ok but it wastes a lot of time loading unnecessary stuff, resulting to what I mentioned in the original post. My iPad does not have good connection at the location I have used my tablets mostly, like where I am using it at the moment. The connection works ok most of the time, YouTube buffers great etc. but then all of sudden Safari cannot find server etc.

Solutions would be to wait if Apple releases update which improves things, get better modem/router or remove the wall which is between me and my modem
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
I would say it all depends on what sites the OP is going to.

Don't assume that everyone's browsing habits are like your own. From my own experience, I use a handful of sites that have that issue and throw up full page ads just as it finishes loading. If those were the only pages I frequented, I could easily understand the OP's frustration.

Clearly it was enough of an issue for the OP for them to make a post and request assistance. The last thing they, or anyone on this site, needs are others telling them that their problems aren't issues - instead of actually offering help or being productive.
I know what OP is talking about...but the solution to the problem is just waiting a extra second or two and the website would be fully loaded
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:45 PM   #12
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Apple should introduce this feature.
Since iOS is a MAJOR player in mobile ads for Google it would be a giant middle finger.
That would be pretty funny. Ironically, Google also gives itself the middle finger by allowing AdBlock in Android and promoting it on the Chrome store.
Morshu9001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6