Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Anybody have problems with their MagSafe?

After six months of owning the MacBook Pro with retina display I am now having problems with my MagSafe power adapter. Occasionally the power doctor will not light up at all and there will be no indication of my MacBook Pro charging. Apple is going to send me out another MagSafe but I'm just wondering if anyone else's experiences in case it's not just the MagSafe. Also if you look at the MagSafe there's a bit of discoloration almost like burn marks but there's no indication of a burning smell or anything like that.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

I did couple months ago.
The charging indicator started to flicker and after a while it just wont charge.
Took it to Apple and without questioning, they replaced it for free.

I think it was me twisting the cable a lot.
And I kicked my power brick several times by accident so Im guessing that was it.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
After six months of owning the MacBook Pro with retina display I am now having problems with my MagSafe power adapter. Occasionally the power doctor will not light up at all and there will be no indication of my MacBook Pro charging. Apple is going to send me out another MagSafe but I'm just wondering if anyone else's experiences in case it's not just the MagSafe. Also if you look at the MagSafe there's a bit of discoloration almost like burn marks but there's no indication of a burning smell or anything like that.
A little dirt is normal. Inspect it with a loupe, if anything look like melted parts then u got a problem.

Clean it, use a can of compressed air.

At intervals, specially while charging, touch it. It should be room's temperature. If other again, u got a problem.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
BlazednSleepy
macrumors 6502a

You might wanna try an SMC reset.
BlazednSleepy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:16 AM   #5
stu3ufc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrest64 View Post
I can't stand these magsafe. They burn out after a year or so use. I am on my 2nd magsafe which i had to pay 50 to replace each time. The end gets discoloured and then it burns out and doesn't work. Conveniently after the 1 year warranty runs out.

I have no idea how to combat this but just accept my macbook sucks because it's not the newer model which i would buy if i didnt spend money on this plastic 2008 one. wish i could have the newer model with better memory and hard drive space
stu3ufc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro