Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londoner888

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Tottenham, London
I'm looking to buy an iPod touch 5th gen and interested in how much usage you guys are getting from a single charge.

On paper it states that you can get 40 hours of audio, how true is this in the real world?

I do a lot of flying and when on a trip I usually bring my iPad 2 and watch a film and listen to music for about 6 hours.
If I get the touch, I may leave the ipad at home... will the Touch perform (battery) just as well as the iPad or better?

My main usage would be to read ebooks, listen to music and maybe watch 1 film.

Luckybobby

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
The iPod touch does not have the same battery as iPad. The iPad has a far better battery. But the iPod battery should last at least 5 hours, I would think.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Sounds like it should be good for you. It should last you at least most of the trip most likely all. To the person above me, the battery doesn't hold as much as the iPad's, but the touch uses less power because the screen is smaller.

DAPWNER

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Video playback is slated at 8 hours... phenomenal if it's true in the real world.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
turn off bluetooth and the wifi, keep the brightness at a medium or low and you should get 5-8 hours. :apple:

there is a little difference between the ipad and the ipod, with regards to usage time. the batteries are proportionally the same

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
turn off bluetooth and the wifi, keep the brightness at a medium or low and you should get 5-8 hours. :apple:

there is a little difference between the ipad and the ipod, with regards to usage time. the batteries are proportionally the same

The bluetooth in the IPT5 is very good as far as battery usage. I could see it affect battery life in my old Touch but, I see no difference in battery life for both the bluetooth on or off in my IPT5 (unless I'm actively using the bluetooth). It's one of the best improvements in the IPT5 and I'm surprised it's not mentioned more.

risk52

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
30 minutes is what i'm getting on my ipod 3g(s) now.................(tested in fruit ninja and free wings :p )

Boredathome

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2013
Canada
Yesterday my 5th gen iPod touch was at about 30 percent battery with 1 day standby and 8 hours of usage. During that time I browsed the internet, played temple run 2, and watched 4 or 5 30 minute youtube videos (Also listened to music and used other apps).

(This was all on about 1 fifth brightness)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.