Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Flojojr2007
macrumors newbie

Best place to purchase Mac games?

Hi,
I just bought a new mbp wednesday and although I haven't received it yet, I wanted to get an idea of where to buy mac games. I heard that it's easier to buy them online but I'm not sure if this is true. If it is, what sites would you all recommend? I saw some on the apple website but it wasn't a very big collection and I'm looking to purchase some older/ cheaper games as well as possibly some newer ones.

I bought the mbp 13" 250gb hd 4 gb ram...not sure if that matters...
Flojojr2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:50 PM   #2
guydude193
macrumors 6502a

Your local Apple Store will have a nice collection. At least, mine does. Also, Amazon and eBay.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Flojojr2007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guydude193 View Post
Your local Apple Store will have a nice collection. At least, mine does. Also, Amazon and eBay.
K thanks. I'll definitely check Amazon since I'm not sure if my apple store has older titles.

Do you recommend trying demos? I've never been big on demos but now that I want to try some new games, I think maybe it would be a good idea to try demos first. Do you know where I can go for these as well?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:15 PM   #4
guydude193
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojojr2007 View Post
K thanks. I'll definitely check Amazon since I'm not sure if my apple store has older titles.

Do you recommend trying demos? I've never been big on demos but now that I want to try some new games, I think maybe it would be a good idea to try demos first. Do you know where I can go for these as well?
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/

They have many demos to try out.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Huntn
macrumors 603

I've noticed you pay a real premium for older games in the Apple Store. If you have a Windows install, you'd save 50% or more getting the PC version. As others before me have said, I'd look at Amazon.com and ebay for Mac games.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Flojojr2007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I've noticed you pay a real premium for older games in the Apple Store. If you have a Windows install, you'd save 50% or more getting the PC version. As others before me have said, I'd look at Amazon.com and ebay for Mac games.
Thanks! My hp laptop's motherboard is toast so i'll have to stick to playing games on my mac.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 07:55 AM   #7
kaltsasa
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to kaltsasa Send a message via MSN to kaltsasa Send a message via Yahoo to kaltsasa
http://www.macgamestore.com
kaltsasa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:34 AM   #8
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Another option I use is Goozex, which is a game trading site (you trade for points, use those points to 'buy' other games). I actually just sent out the Mac version of Stubbs the Zombie the other day on Goozex! Of course, they are all used games.
txa1265 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:36 AM   #9
BStyle105
macrumors newbie

Games

The App store, The Mac Games Store are really good but I would also check out Steam too http://steamcommunity.com/apps/.

There are usually always sales going on; last week on Steam; Assassin's Creed 2: Deluxe Edition for Mac was going for $5.
BStyle105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:57 AM   #10
MacGamerHQ
macrumors member

Hey, welcome to the mac gaming world!

There's plenty of places where you have a HUGE selection of mac games, I was actually surprised the first time I started looking for Mac games.

Cutting down to the chase, you have:
The Mac Game Store
Steam's Mac collection
GameAgent.com (which has a cool price comparison tool
The Apple App Store
Amazon.com

Also, don't forget to check out the mac games blogs. It's the best way to keep track of the new games coming soon.

Cheers!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
grapes911

I don't have many games but the majority of the ones I do have are downloaded from Steam. Super easy.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Steam, hands down.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:33 PM   #13
marieweaver132
macrumors newbie

Simple way you can directly download the games and this is the best way to purchase any type of games.
marieweaver132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:39 AM   #14
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojojr2007 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a new mbp wednesday and although I haven't received it yet, I wanted to get an idea of where to buy mac games. I heard that it's easier to buy them online but I'm not sure if this is true. If it is, what sites would you all recommend? I saw some on the apple website but it wasn't a very big collection and I'm looking to purchase some older/ cheaper games as well as possibly some newer ones.

I bought the mbp 13" 250gb hd 4 gb ram...not sure if that matters...
Oh man... IF you can afford it in the near future, I'm gonna suggest you upgrade that RAM from 4GB to (at least) 8GB for gaming. Trust me. While many games might state that they have "Minimum Requirements" of 4GB memory, most gamers know that games run much better (and sometimes less crashes and less lag) if they have more memory over the required minimum.

Having enough memory, not having enough memory, or having plenty of extra memory... is a HUGE HUGE factor in the performance of many modern games.

If you don't like the idea of installing RAM yourself (or if you simply find this a daunting task), then an option would be to buy cheap memory at your local Apple-licensed reseller (e.g. MacMall stores, Fry's, Best Buy) and then pay them like $30-40 (or around that much) to install it for you. Or find some geeky Mac friend to install it for you (just buy him lunch)!
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:44 AM   #15
81Steven
macrumors regular

GoG and Steam

GoG is an excellent service
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:31 AM   #16
Towelie1288
macrumors regular

by far steam is the best platform and game store and all valve games support Mac
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:03 AM   #17
saotomefirst
macrumors regular

I'm another Steam fan, having purchased all my virtual titles from there. It's a great platform for buying games for my mac - and when I go to Windows, not only my games, but even the saves are there!

Now... hmmm.... I don't know if you guys noticed this but... it seems this thread was started in... 2009

---Thread Ressurrection DETECTED---
saotomefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:10 AM   #18
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saotomefirst View Post
I'm another Steam fan, having purchased all my virtual titles from there. It's a great platform for buying games for my mac - and when I go to Windows, not only my games, but even the saves are there!

Now... hmmm.... I don't know if you guys noticed this but... it seems this thread was started in... 2009

Steam all the way, what with their regular sales, but also the feature that if you buy a game on the OSX platform you generally are able to download it on the Windows platform as well.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:32 AM   #19
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by saotomefirst View Post

Yeah. Now I feel stupid... trying to give advice to the OP advising him to upgrade his RAM....

I need to be more careful about dabbling in Necroposting. It's a dark art, aye.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:36 AM   #20
81Steven
macrumors regular

I love Steam too but remember that GoG remove all DRM at all... no copy protection or online check required... never
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:11 PM   #21
Jaskov
macrumors newbie

GoG for oldies, Steam and official Apple App Store for Mac OS X.
Jaskov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:33 AM   #22
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

And now you can get Legend of Grimrock (and 9 others this month) on GoG ... and Jedi Academy on Steam (and Mac App Store) ... the library just keeps growing!
txa1265 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games