Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
well hopefully EVGA is helpful and is willing to work with you on it.

yeah CPU folding isn't what it used to be, at least for ones we can afford!

yeah i'm excited about it! it should be here tonight, and hopefully i'll have time to get it setup before i have to go to bed (work comes early tomorrow). we'll see!

thanks -- I'll see what they say...

you're right -- CPU folding certainly isn't what it used to be!

we're waiting to hear what you've got planned! (but rest is important too...)

Louis

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Running my GPUs overnight and woke up to my computer in OSX. Guess I'll need to buy windows now since the 8 beta expired and shuts itself down after an hour or so? 71k ppd from 2 GPUS is pretty cool. Hell I remember my four overclocked 460s only put out a total of approximately 45k.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
thanks -- I'll see what they say...

you're right -- CPU folding certainly isn't what it used to be!

we're waiting to hear what you've got planned! (but rest is important too...)

Louis

it's alive! ;)

Running my GPUs overnight and woke up to my computer in OSX. Guess I'll need to buy windows now since the 8 beta expired and shuts itself down after an hour or so? 71k ppd from 2 GPUS is pretty cool. Hell I remember my four overclocked 460s only put out a total of approximately 45k.

yeah i know what you mean. i have all these GTX260s around here that aren't good for many points anymore. maybe i'll gradually upgrade them, but then what do i do with the old cards?

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

Feel like experimenting with ubuntu? It's free! (and I don't know anything else about it)
Oh forget that. I'd heard that the Linux client didn't support GPUs and it looks like that's true. Well, not without jumping through major hoops. Maybe try to find a sale on Win8.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinGuide#ntoc12

Louis

----------

it's alive! ;)

What's alive, exactly?

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

ah, those were the days, no? at least we're getting improved power efficiency from the newer generation of GPUs...

PS great to see you back!

Louis

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
ah, those were the days, no? at least we're getting improved power efficiency from the newer generation of GPUs...

PS great to see you back!

Louis

Wow. Bought W8 and of course the download failed. Took my money and run. These posts go back to late October and the problems still exist. Why can't windows download be as efficient as upgrading downloading OSX :(.

Didn't even my email from MS for my key.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Wow. Bought W8 and of course the download failed. Took my money and run. These posts go back to late October and the problems still exist. Why can't windows download be as efficient as upgrading downloading OSX :(.

Didn't even my email from MS for my key.

I think you got away lucky then!

Is there any way to nab a copy of Windows from someone who's junking an old PC?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I think you got away lucky then!

Is there any way to nab a copy of Windows from someone who's junking an old PC?

Ill call tomorrow or file a dispute with PayPal and get my money back and just go to a store and buy it. I don't think I'll buy a windows OS through a download again. I do have a few older PCs laying around I can harvest a key from.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Ever since I started getting bonus points, I've been getting these crazy 19 hour WUs. It makes it look like I'm not doing anything for hours, haha! :p

I read that the system is designed to optimise WU assignments to specs of one's rig, so it seems like a good idea to just leave it alone to choose for me, but do you guys have settings and/or parameters in place to select WUs that give the best 'stats' so to speak? I want to do what's best for science, but I also want to balance that with some team pride! :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Fantastic! Major congratulations on your new folding rig!

Now our team has a chance at regaining some lost ground :)

Louis

thanks! yes i hope we do!

Ever since I started getting bonus points, I've been getting these crazy 19 hour WUs. It makes it look like I'm not doing anything for hours, haha! :p

I read that the system is designed to optimise WU assignments to specs of one's rig, so it seems like a good idea to just leave it alone to choose for me, but do you guys have settings and/or parameters in place to select WUs that give the best 'stats' so to speak? I want to do what's best for science, but I also want to balance that with some team pride! :)

the only real control we have is telling the client what kind of WUs we want (small, normal, or big). outside of that, it will pick for you. (unless you are doing -bigadv units, which you are not)

but working bigger units that take more time will get you more points, as long as you run fah most of the time

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
the only real control we have is telling the client what kind of WUs we want (small, normal, or big). outside of that, it will pick for you. (unless you are doing -bigadv units, which you are not)

but working bigger units that take more time will get you more points, as long as you run fah most of the time
Well, I run FAH continuously, but I did just change my # of cores from '12' to '8', meaning from six to four, really. I noticed that I'm still using all 12 threads no matter what, but the six primary threads are about 80-90%, and the remaining 'hyperthreads' (if you will) are working about 5-10%. iStat shows a steady 800% CPU use by FahCore_a4, and when I open something else, it doesn't take away from the 800% unless the other task exceeds 400%. My temps dropped 10ºF, fans dropped a few hundred RPM, and CPU A, Core Low Side went from 76 A to 63 A, so I think I like these settings for now.

I wish I could adjust core use on the fly instead of rebooting for the changes to take effect, but that's the way it goes.

How do you tell the client to use small / medium / large WUs?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, I run FAH continuously, but I did just change my # of cores from '12' to '8', meaning from six to four, really. I noticed that I'm still using all 12 threads no matter what, but the six primary threads are about 80-90%, and the remaining 'hyperthreads' (if you will) are working about 5-10%. iStat shows a steady 800% CPU use by FahCore_a4, and when I open something else, it doesn't take away from the 800% unless the other task exceeds 400%. My temps dropped 10ºF, fans dropped a few hundred RPM, and CPU A, Core Low Side went from 76 A to 63 A, so I think I like these settings for now.

I wish I could adjust core use on the fly instead of rebooting for the changes to take effect, but that's the way it goes.

How do you tell the client to use small / medium / large WUs?

yeah i hear ya.

since you are using version 7 client, it's a little different than before (version 6).

first, you have to be in expert mode. then click configure, click slots, select smp and click edit. scroll to the bottom and click add under extra slots.

name: client-type
value: big/normal/small

i think this is correct. someone can correct me if i'm wrong

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
300K PPD on top of previous?

Phenomenal!

You're definitely carrying the team now!

Louis

yeah that's where i'm currently, but i may drop back a few of the older clients since i've got the big one folding.

yeah but we still need the rest of the team! and we still need more members!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
yeah that's where i'm currently, but i may drop back a few of the older clients since i've got the big one folding.

I agree with that -- gotta start saving power on the older rigs now that you've got a new mouth to feed :)

----------

yeah but we still need the rest of the team! and we still need more members!

We certainly do need new members! If anyone is interested in trying it out, please post and we'll answer any questions we can!

Louis

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I agree with that -- gotta start saving power on the older rigs now that you've got a new mouth to feed :)

yeah. i'm wondering what the power bill will be for this month. luckily it's been colder this last few days though.

We certainly do need new members! If anyone is interested in trying it out, please post and we'll answer any questions we can!

Louis

yes. i think the more active we are on this forum, the better for getting more people curious and hopefully involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.