Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Does recovery pull back the "purchased" apps that ship with the Mac like the up-to-date versions of iPhoto, etc?

What I might do is simply fire up the new iMac, restore my current TM backup (which I believe will not overwrite newer versions of apps with the older backed up ones)... then make a new TM backup, replace the drive with an SSD and do the ML recovery procedure.

I'm debating right now if I can justify the cost of going all the way up to the 512GB drive, or if I would be okay going with the 256GB version and possibly also installing a Samsung 128GB SSD blade, if I can find one. With my current 256GB M4 I have about 100GB free, I just don't want to have to take the machine apart again in another year if I run out of space.

At this point I'd say the only thing that's holding me back from getting the ball rolling is not having access to the original factory adhesive strips for the machine.... which I would much prefer to use. The actual disassembly itself looks like it's actually easier by far than my 2009 iMac which is a bit of a pain really.

MaydayMAc

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
i found some tape a grainger

will this work ?

VHB Tape, Multipurpose, Material Conformable Foam, Shape -, Thickness (Mil) 15, Thickness (In.) -, Width 1/2 In., Length 5 yd., Dia. -, Color Gray, Adhesion (Oz./In.) 192, Tensile Strength (Lb./In.) 95, Performance Temp. (Deg. F) 60 to 200, Standards -

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
AppleComponents.com is the place for original VHB replacement kits:

Starter Kit, LCD Display Panel, 076-1416, iMac (21.5-inch, late 2012) and iMac (27-inch, late 2012) $139.00

076-1416 Kit, Start, LCD Display Panel
- Display removal tool handle (1)
- Display removal wheels (8)
- VHB strips (for both models)
- Service wedge, iMac

I am going to contact Apple Components today and potentially place an order for this as if I order a 27" iMac I want to replace the stock HDD with an SSD and it does not look too hard, especially with the right tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well I just tried to call Apple Components and could not reach anyone. From the voicemail it sounds like it is some guy running it out of his garage. A bit nervous ordering from them, anyone else order anything in the past and if so how'd it work out?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
OK everyone, I've gone ahead and ordered it. I will provide photos when it shows up. The reseller sent me an email telling me that it is IN STOCK and expects it to ship out more or less immediately.

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
In the description in the post above it does say

Display removal tool handle (1)
Display removal wheels (8)

if I understand correctly the Display Removal Wheels are the pizza cutters tool that I am after together with the strips for the 21 inches, personally I am not that interested in the handle (I trust the repair can be done with out it).

Thanks in advance

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I did a fair bit of reading before I decided to go for the 840 Pro, and the top 3 position is fairly close with OCZ Vertex 4 and the Kingston HyperX from what I read in the several reviews around. The Crucial m4 didn't come out too well in most tests...
The prior succes with Samsungs 830-series, made my choice even easier and so far I have nothing to report but good things :D

Some people clone the original drive, I did the recovery-version and it worked like a charm - I was just unaware of this hidden recovery feature on the stock drives, so when I wasn't able to boot from an normal ML install on a USB, with the new SSD inside, I got a little worried. But everything worked out perfectly in the end!

Wanted to thank you for this, there's a guy blowing out some new 512GB 840 Pros on eBay for $425 shipped, I just grabbed one, looks like I am on the path to ordering the new Mac.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I ordered mine, and should get it in 3--4 weeks. 27' with the 680.

I searched a little, and maybe I missed it, but how many cable are attached between the iMac and it's screen? I'm not sure if it's one or two.

As soon I'm as sure I'm keeping it (perfect screen, no strange noise, etc...), I'm opening it to install my SSD (see sig) in it :)

Vedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
Can't find the right VHB tape for the iMac in my contry (Spain). Any other recommendations with similar sizes and strength? I wouldn't like the display to fall off after a few weeks.

I have a reasonable doubt though: Do we have to apply the tape in BOTH sides of the iMac? I mean, I've seen tape in the side where the components are. But I'm not sure if there's tape on the back of the display itself.

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
Applecomponents.com seems a trustworthy supplier seen the reviews on the website and feedback on their ebay store. For now the VHB starter and 21" refill kit are only available via the website. Seen the payment method is paypal, one can not go wrong anyway.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Can't find the right VHB tape for the iMac in my contry (Spain). Any other recommendations with similar sizes and strength? I wouldn't like the display to fall off after a few weeks.

I have a reasonable doubt though: Do we have to apply the tape in BOTH sides of the iMac? I mean, I've seen tape in the side where the components are. But I'm not sure if there's tape on the back of the display itself.

It's double sided tape, it will stick to the screen and the frame.

Vedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
It's double sided tape, it will stick to the screen and the frame.

I know it's double sided, but I'm not sure if the iMac needs two sets of tape to stick it better one to another, and make the contact directly to another tape instead of the display itself.

When iFixit guy peels off the remaining original tape, he does it in both sides of the iMac, so I'm not sure if we have to apply new tape in both sides or not.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
if I understand correctly the Display Removal Wheels are the pizza cutters tool that I am after together with the strips for the 21 inches, personally I am not that interested in the handle (I trust the repair can be done with out it).

Thanks in advance

Yes the handle is necessary, the wheels/cutters will wear down after one user, theyre not easily used by hand either.
so yes get the handle and the wheels, it will make the process much easier.
one thing i learned in all my years of tech, NEVER take shortcuts...regardless.

you should peel off any remaining tape/adhesive if possible and reseal with new adhesive for the best effect

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
XIII I see waht you mean, the pizza stile cutter is made of handle + wheels... That is totally one other story.. Wheels are useless if not purchased togheter with handle that leads me back to square one..

I might need to buy the entire kit myself but at that point is worth get the job done by an apple authorized repaire that will charge round GBP 90 for the job (already enquired with one)..

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Something showed up early! (It was shipped from down the street, I literally could have driven down there and picked it up locally).

I apologize in advance for the huge photo sizes but since there are part numbers, etc, I figured people might want to see them at near full resolution to get a better idea of what is included.

DSC00971.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

Here's what $150 shipped gets you;

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

I believe that these are the 21.5" kits (you only get FOUR with this kit, youch!)

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

27" kits;

DSC00995.jpg

DSC00990.jpg

"Pizza Wheel of Death with eight wheels"

DSC00979.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00986.jpg

Click images for full resolution

----------

It looks like the 21.5" kit in particular might be overkill, there are a LOT of parts here. I imagine that you could cut one set of these strips up and successfully install them on more than one Mac, although perhaps Apple designed it this way as a seal against dust or something.

I will post a thread in the appropriate place (buy/sell forum) for those interested in getting one of the extras from me.

maharajah

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Thanks jmpage2. Can you take a close edge-on photo of the tape? Trying to figure out what off the shelf tape is a good match. I have a few samples of different 3M tape laying around.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I believe that these are the 21.5" kits (you only get FOUR with this kit, youch!)

So this kit that you ordered from Apple Components has tape for both the 21.5 and 27" iMacs? If I read correctly, there is enough tape to reattach the screen 4 times for the 21.5"?

Last edited:

Vedia

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2005
Jmpage2, could you confirm that the tape is needed on both sides of the iMac, or only has to be applied on one side and the other stick to it?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Jmpage2, could you confirm that the tape is needed on both sides of the iMac, or only has to be applied on one side and the other stick to it?

I don't have the Mac that I ordered yet so I can't answer that other than to say that it's double sided tape, there is no way you put it on the frame and the display.

----------

Thanks jmpage2. Can you take a close edge-on photo of the tape? Trying to figure out what off the shelf tape is a good match. I have a few samples of different 3M tape laying around.

I will do that when I have my calipers so I can provide the thickness.

----------

So this kit that you ordered from Apple Components has tape for both the 21.5 and 27" iMacs? If I read correctly, there is enough tape to reattach the screen 4 times for the 21.5"?

Yes, enough materials for four screen reattach for both 21.5 and 27 from what is here. It's extremely overpriced but this is the "real deal" as they say.

Nclee

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Something showed up early! (It was shipped from down the street, I literally could have driven down there and picked it up locally).

I apologize in advance for the huge photo sizes but since there are part numbers, etc, I figured people might want to see them at near full resolution to get a better idea of what is included.

Here's what $150 shipped gets you;

27" kits;

"Pizza Wheel of Death with eight wheels"

----------

[/COLOR]It looks like the 21.5" kit in particular might be overkill, there are a LOT of parts here. I imagine that you could cut one set of these strips up and successfully install them on more than one Mac, although perhaps Apple designed it this way as a seal against dust or something.

I will post a thread in the appropriate place (buy/sell forum) for those interested in getting one of the extras from me.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Aren't you suppose to use any ordinary tape to seal your iMac after the SSD upgrade?

These 21.5" and 27" kit are meant to be used only if you need to return the iMac for warranty, that is when u put back the original HDD and replace the ordinary tape with the kit tape.

iMartijn

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
the Low Countries
It looks like the 21.5" kit in particular might be overkill, there are a LOT of parts here. I imagine that you could cut one set of these strips up and successfully install them on more than one Mac, although perhaps Apple designed it this way as a seal against dust or something.

Check out the manual posted earlier...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/118836055/2012iMac

(partial take apart guide from Apple)
PDF of the tools Apple uses, as well as part number and procedure for display removal and reapplying adhesive.

The 21" needs 5 strips:

Description - ID Number - Part Number
Top left - 01 - 946-4469
Top right - 02 - 946-4471
Right side - 03 - 946-4472
Bottom - 04 - 946-4468
Left side - 05 - 946-4470

The 27" needs 6 strips:

Description - ID Number - Part Number
Top left - 11 - 946-4547
Top right - 12 - 946-4548
Right side - 13 - 946-4549
Bottom right - 14 - 946-4551
Bottom left - 15 - 946-4550
Left side - 16 - 946-4552

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.