Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I've had my Apple TV for about a year and only really use it for Netflix and Youtube. I recently upgraded my Early 2011 Macbook's OS to Mountain Lion and last night I noticed a strange icon in my toolbar that looked like this
HT4437-itunes-airplay_icon-001-mul.png
I clicked it and saw it said "Apple TV", and immediately my Netflix movie shut off and my TV screen was mirroring my laptop's screen.

The only problem is I can't get it to work again. That icon isn't appearing in my toolbar, and my computer says it can't read my Apple TV or any other Airplay devices. Is this a common problem? I want to explore this option some more and can't seem to mirror my laptop anymore.

Last edited:

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
Reset your ATV and reconnect everything. Mirroring works great after having to do that.

ian m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Alright, so since posting the OP I did an iTunes upgrade, as well as upgrade my ATV just to be safe. I finally got the Airplay icon in my menu bar, but it took a while to show up. I'm guessing it's just a connection issue, as many people I've seen online have had similar problems. The icon's still there, so hopefully it stays there.

The mirroring works well, but when I play a movie through my laptop the TV image freezes and lags, as well. I'm assuming this is just an effect of using Wi-fi and having this be a new technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.