Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I personally hate Spigen for their customer service and poor quality products, but I seem to be in the minority here. I thought I might share something interesting that I just learned from their customer service department after waiting something like 1-2 weeks for a proper response (still haven't received a proper response as they tend to skim through emails and not read what the customer writes).

Summary: Spigen does not honor their warranty if you buy their product on Amazon, even when the seller is Spigen themselves. In my case, I received a scratched glass.tr, and asked for a replacement. After giving me the run-around for a week or two, they finally said that since I bought it from them off of Amazon, they won't honor their warranty policy.

The funny thing is that I bought it directly from them, and even included a forwarded invoice in 3 emails to them. They got mixed up with another order/return that I had for the slimEX that I purchased off of Amazon. I know they are the real sellers on Amazon as I returned it directly to their headquarters. Had they actually read my emails, this would have been resolved in a day or two without much confusion. But they just choose to give customers the run-around.

My return for the slimEX took something like 2-3 weeks to process, with no updates on their part. I was close to filing an Amazon A-Z claim.

Pics of my damaged glass.TR which now has a few bubbles and terrible touch response:

I'll update this later. People need to know about Spigen NOW before they make their purchase

Official email:

"Thank you for your response. Please note that your order is from Amazon.com, and the policy is only applied to the orders that are through official SPIGEN SGP [e-mail address removed]. That’s why I asked you if you have talked to SPIGEN SGP Customer Department because I'm wondering if that has been misinformed to our customers."

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I agree - DO NOT DO IT.

I got ripped off - ordered their SPG screen protectors and they sent me 2 cheap knocks off's like you get on ebay for .99 cents no retail packaging, nothing.. just two pieces of crap thrown in an envelope!!!

Tried to contact SGP about it and got NOTHING back from them.

This was from SGP's OFFICIAL account on amazon too. WTF!!!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
It appears you may not have been following the correct procedure regarding the return of faulty items purchased via Amazon. On checking the Amazon web site, it clearly states that even though the product was despatched by Spigen, the warranty and all returns is the responsibility of Amazon.

This fact appears to have been confirmed by Spigen in their email.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
That's unfortunate. It should not matter where you buy it from as long as it's an authorized retailer and in this case it obviously was since you bought it from them through Amazon.

Heck even in the Amazon Store Profile it says:

[Replacement Warranty]

We are responsible for our product conditions. Please let us know if you have received any defected item by contacting us before leaving a seller feedback or product review. We would love to help you resolve any issues. We want you to have a positive experience every time you shop with Spigen SGP.

We offer Limited Warranty against manufacture defects.

- This policy is only valid for naturally defected item as that counts as a production error.
- Defection caused by anyother accidents, including failure of installation, carelessness by the user, or defection caused by owner's usage, can not be applied for this warranty.
- For the product that comes as a package, we only replace the defected item from the package.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_ss?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&seller=A2SFKRF5TPZMT5#aag_legalInfo

Now it also does say that "Promotional or Sale items" are disqualified from warranties, but it doesn't sound like they are playing that card. It sounds like someone is feeding you some BS!

In that case, I would just return it to them and since you bought it via Amazon if they give you a hard time you can always go the A-Z route and Amazon will definitely take care of it one way or the other.

----------

It appears you may not have been following the correct procedure regarding the return of faulty items purchased via Amazon. On checking the Amazon web site, it clearly states that even though the product was despatched by Spigen, the warranty and all returns is the responsibility of Amazon.

This fact appears to have been confirmed by Spigen in their email.

That depends on the item and the situation. For example if it's sold by Spiegen and FULFILLED by Amazon then yes you return to Amazon. But some of there items are sold and fulfilled by them and in some cases it switches on and off. I was going to by the Slim Armor the other day because it was Prime, but I waited too long and it was no longer Prime and just straight through Spiegen.

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
I have has no problems returning items bought through spigen website, but agree, their processing of returns is slow, 2+ weeks.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
That's very odd.

I bought a glas.tr from spigen via amazon and it had adhesion problems. I sent a message to them via amazon with a picture of the problem and literally the next day or so they sent me a replacement no questions asked.

Are you sure you purchased directly from the official sgp store on amazon? Amazon's marketplace can be very tricky to navigate and I've almost bought from sketchy seeming marketplace sellers by mistake. Especially with electronics and accessories there are lots of sellers sending out fakes that are linked as alternate suppliers to the real product listing.

I've attached my customer service conversation.

Begin forwarded message:

From: SPIGEN SGP - Amazon Marketplace <tq1py4cqzd5fkfr@marketplace.amazon.com>
Date: December 10, 2012, 1:05:46 PM EST
To: <redacted>
Subject: RE: Inquiry from Amazon customer <redacted>: Received damaged or defective item (Order: 105-6546472-<redacted>)
Reply-To: SPIGEN SGP - Amazon Marketplace <tq1py4cqzd5fkfr@marketplace.amazon.com>

Dear <redacted>,

Thank you for contacting SPIGEN SGP Customer Service Department on AMAZON.
Hi, my name is Alyssa from SPIGEN.COM.

Thank you for providing us the photo verification. We will isuse you a replacement according to our policy. Your packae will be shipped out on 12/10/12 via USPS, and your new tracking number is <redacted>.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you.

Alyssa

-----Original Message-----
From: <redacted> - Amazon Marketplace [mailto:[e-mail address removed]]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 8:54 PM
To: SPIGEN SGP
Subject: Inquiry from Amazon customer <redacted>: Received damaged or defective item (Order: 105-6546472-<redacted>)

Hi,

I received my order 105-6546472-<redacted> of Spigen Glas.TR for my iphone 5 and applied it as directed, however one of the corners is not sticking properly at all. There is no lint under the glass, it simply isn't sticking in that area.

Is it possible to get a replacement under warranty?

-<redacted>

------------- End message -------------

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
That's very odd.

I bought a glas.tr from spigen via amazon and it had adhesion problems. I sent a message to them via amazon with a picture of the problem and literally the next day or so they sent me a replacement no questions asked.

Are you sure you purchased directly from the official sgp store on amazon? Amazon's marketplace can be very tricky to navigate and I've almost bought from sketchy seeming marketplace sellers by mistake. Especially with electronics and accessories there are lots of sellers sending out fakes that are linked as alternate suppliers to the real product listing.

I've attached my customer service conversation.

Begin forwarded message:

From: SPIGEN SGP - Amazon Marketplace <tq1py4cqzd5fkfr@marketplace.amazon.com>
Date: December 10, 2012, 1:05:46 PM EST
To: <redacted>
Subject: RE: Inquiry from Amazon customer <redacted>: Received damaged or defective item (Order: 105-6546472-<redacted>)
Reply-To: SPIGEN SGP - Amazon Marketplace <tq1py4cqzd5fkfr@marketplace.amazon.com>

Dear <redacted>,

Thank you for contacting SPIGEN SGP Customer Service Department on AMAZON.
Hi, my name is Alyssa from SPIGEN.COM.

Thank you for providing us the photo verification. We will isuse you a replacement according to our policy. Your packae will be shipped out on 12/10/12 via USPS, and your new tracking number is <redacted>.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you.

Alyssa

-----Original Message-----
From: <redacted> - Amazon Marketplace [mailto:[e-mail address removed]]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 8:54 PM
To: SPIGEN SGP
Subject: Inquiry from Amazon customer <redacted>: Received damaged or defective item (Order: 105-6546472-<redacted>)

Hi,

I received my order 105-6546472-<redacted> of Spigen Glas.TR for my iphone 5 and applied it as directed, however one of the corners is not sticking properly at all. There is no lint under the glass, it simply isn't sticking in that area.

Is it possible to get a replacement under warranty?

-<redacted>

------------- End message -------------

I bought it directly through Spigen's official website.

They thought I bought it on Amazon, because I had another return from Amazon that was processed. That took about 2-3 weeks. The glass.tr issue is still unresolved. They just keep giving me the run-around. First email referred me to the website which had no good information. Then after 2-3 more emails, providing my original invoice and pictures of the damage, and a description of the problem, they still have not done anything except send that preposterous email that I included in my OP.

That's from their mouths, not me. So take it for what it is.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
There are definitely some shady dealers for iphone accessories on amazon.

I bought a 'new' otterbox defender on amazon, and the screen protector was not exactly in pristine condition. Amazon is usually pretty reliable, but this was a less than satisfying experience.

It's probably just a lightly used case with a minor defect, but it's disappointing to buy something that was misrepresented anyway.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
g_legalInfo[/URL]
That depends on the item and the situation. For example if it's sold by Spiegen and FULFILLED by Amazon then yes you return to Amazon. But some of there items are sold and fulfilled by them and in some cases it switches on and off. I was going to by the Slim Armor the other day because it was Prime, but I waited too long and it was no longer Prime and just straight through Spiegen.

I would have thought your example would have been obvious and exactly as I had described! If one orders from Amazon and the item is despatched by the manufacturer, more often than not, the warranty is covered by Amazon. Obviously, if the item is purchased directly from the manufacturer, they will cover the warranty.

However, this is not always the case. Recently I purchased from Amazon a DVD player. It was supplied by an Amazon approved retailer who provided the relevant warranty etc.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I received a defective item from Spigen's Amazon store and they replaced it.

But I do agree Spigen does have issues with providing a truly premium customer experience.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I would have thought your example would have been obvious and exactly as I had described! If one orders from Amazon and the item is despatched by the manufacturer, more often than not, the warranty is covered by Amazon. Obviously, if the item is purchased directly from the manufacturer, they will cover the warranty.

However, this is not always the case. Recently I purchased from Amazon a DVD player. It was supplied by an Amazon approved retailer who provided the relevant warranty etc.

No, if the order is FULFILLED by Amazon the RETURN, not the warranty is covered by Amazon. Amazon does not do warranties with the exception of their own goods.

Let's keep it simple... Amazon is a store and stores generally don't cover manufacturer warranties (not to be confused with extended warranties). If you were to buy a product from Best Buy, say an external HDD, You could RETURN the product to Best Buy if you were not satisfied, but if you wanted to do a warranty replacement or something else warranty related, that would be handled by the manufacturer.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
No, if the order is FULFILLED by Amazon the RETURN, not the warranty is covered by Amazon. Amazon does not do warranties with the exception of their own goods.

Let's keep it simple...

Oh dear :( Yes, lets keep it simple!

In the OP's example, he had a complaint and wanted to return a faulty item. If the item was originally ordered through Amazon, apart from items sold and fulfilled by Sellers on Amazon Marketplace, it should be returned to Amazon to enable replacement(s) to be made. The replacement costs would be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Please read Amazon's return policy!!

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
otterbox has the best customer service whether u like there products or not.

atleast they understand that cutomer service is a big part of returning customers if they ever have issues with products.

i dotn know why SGP is so strict and bitchy about this

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Oh dear :( Yes, lets keep it simple!

In the OP's example, he had a complaint and wanted to return a faulty item. If the item was originally ordered through Amazon, apart from items sold and fulfilled by Sellers on Amazon Marketplace, it should be returned to Amazon to enable replacement(s) to be made. The replacement costs would be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Please read Amazon's return policy!!

We are saying the same thing, but you are misusing the word "warranty". Yes, as I have even stated, FULFILLED by Amazon means they are responsible for the Return/Exchange, but this is during the 30-days return/exchange period. AFTER that period, the customer (not specific to OPs situation) would have to use the warranty and that is covered by the manufacturer not Amazon.

My original comment was in regards to Spigen telling the OP that WARRANTY is not covered (not returns/exchanges) because he bought it through Amazon. I get that the OP could return via Amazon (and even recommended it in my original reply), but we were talking about Warranty after that 30-day period. If Spigen is telling customers they are not covering warranty from Amazon orders, why would anyone by their stuff from Amazon?

EDIT: Part of the confusion may be the differences between how things are sold in the US vs. UK. In the US, most retailers have a return period that has nothing to do with "Warranty". So, if a customer returns or exchanges during the return period the seller facilitates the return and has nothing to do with the warranty. Once the return period ends, then the customer was contact the manufacturer in regards to any issues covered under the warranty.

I am not saying this to be condescending, but just now noticed that you are in the UK and have seen arguments like this and they were due to how some things are done different between the two countries.

Last edited:

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Buy another one, swap them, return the defective one. Done...

Not to mention, if you buy from Amazon, use Amazon as the return/exchange dealer too. I LOVE Amazon because they are so easy to work with and have always been helpful for myself. I'm sure I'm not a 'lucky' one here either.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I'm sure that there will always be a few that fall through the cracks but I've had nothing but great experiences with spigen's customer service. I can see why OP is frustrated but it does seem to be that there was mixup between orders. I've gone through their main site and amazon and if i had any question they responded pretty quickly.

TimonPumba

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
If you ordered through amazon dont you have to go through amazon for any returns/refunds? I had an issue where they sent me out the wrong case but they fixed it immediately. Maybe your case just got lost in the mix? They still havent solved your issue?

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
We are saying the same thing, but you are misusing the word "warranty". Yes, as I have even stated, FULFILLED by Amazon means they are responsible for the Return/Exchange, but this is during the 30-days return/exchange period. AFTER that period, the customer (not specific to OPs situation) would have to use the warranty and that is covered by the manufacturer not Amazon.

My original comment was in regards to Spigen telling the OP that WARRANTY is not covered (not returns/exchanges) because he bought it through Amazon. I get that the OP could return via Amazon (and even recommended it in my original reply), but we were talking about Warranty after that 30-day period. If Spigen is telling customers they are not covering warranty from Amazon orders, why would anyone by their stuff from Amazon?
[/I]

At last! An agreement has been reached :)

As far as I was concerned, I was specifically referring to the OP's "problem". The period after 30 days had elapsed didn't enter the equation.

Yes, Amazon's US site does appear to be somewhat complicated regarding returns! However, Spigen do appear to state that they will only fully honor purchases placed directly with themselves.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
Just go through Amazon. They've always been great with returns, and the more problems they get from Spigen reselling on their site, the more they'll keep an eye on Spigen's shady practices on their site in the future.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If Spigen is telling customers they are not covering warranty from Amazon orders, why would anyone by their stuff from Amazon?
Preference varies. Amazon has a return policy that will cover problems spotted on receipt and that's enough for some. Some aren't aware of Spigen's policy.

The odd thing is that I did order an Spigen iPad screen protector through Amazon. It clearly had a manufacturing defect as the adhesive pulled off the screen protector. Spigen replaced it for me without any problems.

I'll definitely order direct in the future.

If you ordered through amazon dont you have to go through amazon for any returns/refunds?
Yes but read the OP again. OP is discussing warranty which isn't the same thing. The OP could have used the return process with Amazon but that's not the topic here.

Yes, Amazon's US site does appear to be somewhat complicated regarding returns!
I've never had problems with returns with Amazon either.

Last edited:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Preference varies. Amazon has a return policy that will cover problems spotted on receipt and that's enough for some. Some aren't aware of Spigen's policy.

The odd thing is that I did order an Spigen iPad screen protector through Amazon. It clearly had a manufacturing defect as the adhesive pulled off the screen protector. Spigen replaced it for me without any problems.

I'll definitely order direct in the future.

It was meant to be a rhetorical question. Spigen should honor their warranty even with purchases made via their Amazon store... They even state so in their Amazon store profile. I think what is more likely in the OP's situation was that a misinformed Spigen employee gave him bad info.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Just go through Amazon. They've always been great with returns, and the more problems they get from Spigen reselling on their site, the more they'll keep an eye on Spigen's shady practices on their site in the future.

When you try to initiate a return via Amazon, it says to contact the seller directly and doesn't let you do a normal return.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Does anyone have experience with an amazon seller named: "digicell repair?"

I suspect I received a counterfeit otterbox defender from them fulfilled by amazon.

It saddens me to see the large wave of counterfeit products washing onto amazon's shores. I always thought of amazon as a quality reseller, but their inability to stem the tide with fake iphone accessories is extremely disappointing.

I'm not saying 'digicell repair' is one of them, I'm merely asking at this point. I am however, astonished at the very low build quality of this case, whoever manufactured it.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Does anyone have experience with an amazon seller named: "digicell repair?"

I suspect I received a counterfeit otterbox defender from them fulfilled by amazon.

It saddens me to see the large wave of counterfeit products washing onto amazon's shores. I always thought of amazon as a quality reseller, but their inability to stem the tide with fake iphone accessories is extremely disappointing.

I'm not saying 'digicell repair' is one of them, I'm merely asking at this point. I am however, astonished at the very low build quality of this case, whoever manufactured it.

WTF does this have to do with the thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.