Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What's the greatest sports rivalry?

• NYY-Boston Red Sox

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • LAD/Brooklyn Dodgers-SF Giants/NY Giants

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • LA Lakers-Boston Celtics (1980s)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Serena Williams-Venus Williams

• Palmer-Nicklaus

• Ohio State football-Michigan football

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Stanford football-Cal football

• Pacquaio-Marquez

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • other - please state

Votes: 22 40.0%

• Total voters

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yankees fan and Cowboys fan......let me guess, also a Lakers fan? ;)

Oh hell no on the Lakers and I live in the LA area. I actually like the Clippers if I had to pick a team just because of Griffin.

And for the record Dallas hasn't been all that, I mean come on, we had a 1-15 record. But that one win was against the Skins so it is all good! :D

----------

HTTR is magnificent as always. Subterfuge, a long standing Cowboy's tradition! LOL :D

ha.... and here we go! :D

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Oh hell no on the Lakers and I live in the LA area. I actually like the Clippers if I had to pick a team just because of Griffin.

And for the record Dallas hasn't been all that, I mean come on, we had a 1-15 record. But that one win was against the Skins so it is all good! :D

----------

ha.... and here we go! :D

Haha I'm from Newport Beach and my family has long cheered for the USC Trojans and Lakers. We have season tickets for the Lakers games, I try to get back out there as much as possible.

I'm a 49ers fan, so I will never like the Cowboys :D

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
As an Arsenal fan, Spurs vs Gunners is a great rivalry.

Football in general has some great rivalries.

Having also lived in England, I didn't know at all what fan rivalry was until I saw riots in the tube. Wow, talk about soccer hooliganism. I don't know if it was a real fan reaction to wins and losses or an excuse to loot. I thought about putting some of those up there but being a Yankee I would probably put a couple up but leave out the big ones.

But we have that too and had a few choice moments of stores being liberated of their goods most notably when the Detroit Tigers won the World Series. Over here in San Francisco, both times had a few issues after the series and the damage was substantial. I don't know if winning the World Series twice in three years, and after not winning since 1954 has something to do with it but I think it was still more an excuse to loot and break things.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Sorry - I meant to ask - What sport do these Ohio and Michigan teams play? Must be a doozy if they are universally acclaimed to be the greatest rivals of all time.

College football.

It's a great rivalry no doubt, but I think eric/ is a tiny bit biased since he lives in Ohio. ;)

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
College football.

It's a great rivalry no doubt, but I think eric/ is a tiny bit biased since he lives in Ohio. ;)

Its a rivalry only because those teams are in a horrible conference and they can only beat each other :D

I remember in 2009 going to the horseshoe for USC/OSU and Matt Barkley was a freshman and lead them on a game winning drive, I've never heard a stadium so quiet! Was awesome!

----------

Yankees-RedSox greatest rivalry ever.
Lakers-Celtics #2

I think I'll be at the Garden Thursday Feb 7th cheering my Lakers on ;)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Yankees-RedSox greatest rivalry ever.
Lakers-Celtics #2

Sox-Yankees is overrated.

It was solid for a decade or so from like 97-07 and obviously the 2003 and 2004 ALCS were pretty epic but it's died down recently.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
College football.

I'll admit that typically that is the case, but despite my sports preference, I cheer my teams on and try to remain objective when discussing sports, because it's much more fun to me than just being like "nuh uh my team is the bestorz!!!!1!!".

But this rivalry is generally regarded as the cream of the crop in rivalries across all sports.

It's not like Yankees are burning down NYC after they WIN A GAME, ya know?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Sorry - I meant to ask - What sport do these Ohio and Michigan teams play? Must be a doozy if they are universally acclaimed to be the greatest rivals of all time.

College football.

And yes, just here in the US.

A comedian was in Columbus (I don't live there but went to see him)

And he is from Alabama and was talking about how passionate Ohio State fans are and what not, and then he was like:

"Now, you guys are crazy fans, just crazy. Think about how much you hate terrorists and Osama Bin Laden. Now imagine if Ohio State played Al Quadia. Now imagine how mad you would be if Ohio State lost to them.

Yeah, that's soccer".

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Haha I'm from Newport Beach and my family has long cheered for the USC Trojans and Lakers. We have season tickets for the Lakers games, I try to get back out there as much as possible.

I'm a 49ers fan, so I will never like the Cowboys :D

Oh the dreaded "CATCH"...... LOL. Yup same reason I can't pull for the 49ers. That is too funny.

Don't get me wrong I won't turn down a Lakers ticket when my buddies go, but I am not a Laker fan by any stretch. And don't get me started on the USC thing lol..

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
Alabama vs Auburn as far as true hate.

If Auburn were playing Al Qaeda in ping-pong any true Alabama fan would pull for Al Qaeda.
It is more noble, but the hate rivals that of democrats vs. republicans these days.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Sox-Yankees is overrated.

It was solid for a decade or so from like 97-07 and obviously the 2003 and 2004 ALCS were pretty epic but it's died down recently.

Rivalries like Sox/Yanks or Celts/Lakers go beyond just our generation though......thats why they're considered some of the best ever, because everyone from every generation can remember at some point the rivalry being heated.

----------

Maybe of late it has, as the Celtics-Lakers have also. But these are what I remember being great rivalries growing up in Boston.

Magic 5
Larry 3

:D

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Bill Russell-11 Greatest player in NBA history.:)

Even as a Lakers fan who cried when the Bulls beat the Lakers, I have to give it to MJ. More so because although Russell was a great champion/competitor and whatever narratives you want to use, he really didn't have anyone to go against besides Wilt and the Celtics were stacked!

I'm making my return to Boston on the 7th for Celtics/Lakers for the 1st time since I was in the Garden for Game 6 of 08.......god that sucked!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.