Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:48 AM   #1
arnoz
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to arnoz
Thunderbolt 27'' display: audio 45 watts?

Hi,

I'm planning to switch to the TB 27'' display. I read that that it's 45 watts for the speakers? Anyone can report on the audio quality?
I currently have the JBL creature which suffice my needs and they're 25 watts so it would seem it would be better to use the TB display's speakers.
Thanks.
arnoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoz View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to switch to the TB 27'' display. I read that that it's 45 watts for the speakers? Anyone can report on the audio quality?
I currently have the JBL creature which suffice my needs and they're 25 watts so it would seem it would be better to use the TB display's speakers.
Thanks.
Can only speak to what I've heard at the Apple Store, and I'd say the TBD speakers won't sound better than your JBL's. The Creatures have a separate subwoofer which will provide deeper bass.

If loud volumes and chest thumping bass aren't a concern, I'm sure the TBD speakers will suffice for almost everything else in a quiet room.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
ybz90
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoz View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with your JBLs but I am very underwhelmed by the ATD speakers, which should get even worse with the new chassis revision, though granted I'm a bit of a speakerphile so there's that bias. That said, the audio industry wattage numbers tend to be exaggerated -- did you know that scientifically speaking, I'm betting you never pull more than 2-3W out of your JBL's in near field monitor use? Unless they are monstrously inefficient to the point of being a piece of aluminum foil on two fridge magnets, actually pushing 25W would blow out your ears at that range. Wattage numbers tell literally nothing about the *quality* of the speaker drivers, crossover design, or even the amplifier, just the amp's power output.

Don't even get me started on the false advertising and blatant lies that fly in the face of science. The audio industry is probably the most bullcrap-infested, snake oil-driven industry that still exists. I'm obviously referring to the less savory "audiophile" markets, where cables get sold for more than speakers because they feature 12AWG cryogenically frozen Unobtanium cores, but this culture of misrepresentation and exaggeration is pretty pervasive (*cough* Monster cables... Beats... though I can accept the latter as a fashion and cultural phenomenon).
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals