Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the Greatest iPhone Release to Date!

• iPhone 2007

Votes: 74 22.0%
  • iPhone 3G 2008

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • iPhone 3GS 2009

Votes: 11 3.3%
  • iPhone 4 2010

Votes: 161 47.9%
  • iPhone 4S 2011

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • iPhone 5 2012

Votes: 43 12.8%
  • The Greatest iPhone Moment Still has not Arrived!

Votes: 9 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I liked them all, never had the iPhone in 2007 started with the 3G and upgraded every year, but the iPhone 4 was my favorite

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
i would say 5 but they kept the same brick form factor as the 4... so yea everyone's mind was blown with the 4 that's why i voted for it

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
In terms of release, the iPhone 4 was pretty monumental. But in terms of personal favorites, I'd say the 3GS or 4 were mine, and with the 4 the white release was better for me.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Iphone 5 is the greatest iphone ever.

Biggest screen, best camera, lightest, thinnest, fastest processor, LTE. Its the greatest iphone so far. hands down.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
For sure the original, the innovation that it created in the industry is undeniable.

^+1.

Only recently did I watch the original 2007 keynote in its entirety, Jobs actually spent a whole hour just on the iPhone.

Looking at the map block-paint slowly is painful now, but then it was like WOW. You can do ALL these stuff on this handheld thing?

Re-watching the pundits at the time going, "oh no-no-no, no physical keyboard? that's a disaster!"

IMO though, celullar was too slow and not enuff cpu power back then to make the product truly useful until perhaps the 3GS.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
iPhone 4. It was the last version that made a significant change to the iPhone, which is why I didn't upgrade to the 4S or the 5.

iPhone 4 for me was the best release. That's why I'm still using it with no desire to upgrade at all. I have thoroughly used the iPhone 4s and 5, and I am not impressed after these 3 years. There were no major changes that interested me. Local VoiceControl without the need to use Siri is a big deal for me (only the iPhone 4 has it; although, you can put back with jailbreaking). Retina display is still great; have changed the battery for a brand new one two months ago, so I still have all day battery life - and the speed is more than decent for me even though it's jailbroken and FULL of fun stuff.

But the major drawback? I also found the sound quality from the iPhone 4 to actually be BETTER than the 4S and 5 - and it's a pretty common finding on hi-fi forums. It's something I couldn't believe when I tested all 3 out. But I guess the major reason why I'm not upgrading is the fact that I use my iPad 3 and Nexus 7 more than my iPhone. I use the phone for music, calls and messages. And music is about 85% of its use. So, upgrading will be kind of useless.

p.s. Some people in my family are very, VERY, happy; however, to be using my unused upgrades.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I would say, both the original iPhone and iPhone 4. The first iPhone, for being a brand new take on the smartphone, and making the top dog Blackberry look outdated immediately.

And the iPhone 4, for being a MAJOR upgrade, the new high resolution screen ( will never call it Retina display, that's just a silly marketing term that means nothing more, than high res ), and industrial build, was truly groundbreaking on the iPhone 4, and made Android look cheap and no comparison.

Since the iPhone 4 in 2010, Apple has made no big improvements, and has grown stale and outdated lately, The 4S was barely an upgrade next to the 4, and the iPhone5 just more of the same.

Apple needs a whole new iPhone next, #1 a revamp to iOS is much needed, and larger screen #2.

Right now, Android with Jellybean is a great OS, and will only get better with 5.0 Key Lime Pie. Samsung will hit a grand slam with the Galaxy S IV, the 1080p screen, and all new build quality with the polycarbonate body, and will be as thin as the iPhone 5, and brand new all redone Touchwiz is coming too.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Good poll.

Sad that the brand new redesigned 5 is in 4th place.

I voted the 4S, even though it looks identical to the 4. It has the upgrades and bug fixes to make it stand above and last much longer than the straight 4.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Without a doubt, the iphone 4. While I currently have the black iphone 5, I miss, from time to time, the form factor of the 4(and 4s). It felt great in the hand and it was just beautiful.

The leap in performance and style the iphone 4 made is something we may not see until Apple decides to increase the width of the screen as well as make the back entirely metal. In other words, that iPhone prototype we saw a while ago.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I liked the iPhone 4S better than the 4. While the 4 was a groundbreaking design change, the revised version of it took the cake.

Reactions: exexs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.