Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
ethan86
macrumors member

App to edit Word and Excel docs on iPad

I'm looking for a app that could sync up to Dropbox and Box.net that would allow me to view and edit Word and Excel files I created on my iMac. I was thinking about Polaris office, can anyone vouch for this?

Thanks in advance
ethan86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:03 PM   #2
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan86 View Post
I'm looking for a app that could sync up to Dropbox and Box.net that would allow me to view and edit Word and Excel files I created on my iMac. I was thinking about Polaris office, can anyone vouch for this?

Thanks in advance
I use Goodreader. Not sure if its exactly what your looking for though.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
syd430

DocsToGo. Best .doc .xls compatibility out of the lot. Nothing else comes close. Quick Office, Polaris et al might have a slightly better interface but the compatibility just isn't there.

If compatibility is absolutely critical (I.e 99% compatibility from docstogo doesn't cut it), you're looking at CloudOn or your own Remote Desktop setup
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:28 PM   #4
NestOfRobins
macrumors member

I have used CloudOn. Its not great, but it works.
NestOfRobins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
emjaycee18
macrumors regular

Pages and Numbers are available as well, even though they are separte apps. Don't know if you're looking for just one.
emjaycee18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:01 PM   #6
xnickitynickx
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaycee18 View Post
Pages and Numbers are available as well, even though they are separte apps. Don't know if you're looking for just one.
thats what i use. and i've never been let down by them in college or personally.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:20 PM   #7
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaycee18 View Post
thats what i use. it syncs through icloud over all my devices. i can then convert and send the documents out via email or dropbox as needed. it will also automatically convert doc/xls files upon importing.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
DyslexicKobe
macrumors newbie

App to edit Word and Excel docs on iPad

Might want to check out this application called Documents by Readdle. Its free in the app store for the iPad. Syncs with many cloud services as well. Heres a link for download and also an article that was posted about it as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/38...cloud-services

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/docu...364901807?mt=8
DyslexicKobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Gotoma
macrumors member

Smart office 2 is quite nice. You can only sync with Dropbox and Google docs though.
Gotoma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:31 AM   #10
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I use DocsToGo.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:40 PM   #11
robdam1001
macrumors 6502a

CloudOn
robdam1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a

Cloudon works but lags ALOT for me
Ratatapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:15 PM   #13
dinggus
Banned

I just used DocsToGo, hands down the best one I've used. It supported all the bullets and fonts. I'm impressed with it. I also have it linked to my DropBox, so every time I edit a file, it'll automatically upload to it.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:46 AM   #14
ethan86
macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I've looked at some of these progrms and have narrowed it down to Smart Office 2 and Docs to Go. I'm on the fence about which one I want to purchase. Smart Office 2 only syncs with Dropbox and Google docs and it's 9.99. Docs to Go will sync with Dropbox and box.net, but it appears I can only do this with the 16.99 version. I'm leaning towards Smart Office 2. Can anyone throw anything out here that would push me one way or the other?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Google Drive. It's free and syncs across devices. It's what I use on my Macbook Air, and it syncs perfectly with my iPhone5 and iPad4.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:31 PM   #16
bloutrein
Banned

I think the native (albeit) paid Numbers and Pages are a sensible option.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:21 PM   #17
dancj
macrumors regular

Smart Office 2 has some ... odd ... choices in the interface. And it semi-regularly becomes free or very cheap - and it doesn't have retina display.

I haven't tried Pages, but I'd say if you're willing to spend money then I'd think its a better option. If you can wait then hold out for the next Smart Office 2 sale.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:23 AM   #18
ethan86
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloutrein View Post
I think the native (albeit) paid Numbers and Pages are a sensible option.
Do Pages and Numbers sync with any services besides iCloud? I don't use iWork at home, so I don't know how helpful the iOS apps will be if I can't sync them through another service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancj View Post
Smart Office 2 has some ... odd ... choices in the interface. And it semi-regularly becomes free or very cheap - and it doesn't have retina display.

I haven't tried Pages, but I'd say if you're willing to spend money then I'd think its a better option. If you can wait then hold out for the next Smart Office 2 sale.
How often does Quick Office go on sale or is it at random?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:26 AM   #19
bloutrein
Banned

Quote:
Do Pages and Numbers sync with any services besides iCloud? I don't use iWork at home, so I don't know how helpful the iOS apps will be if I can't sync them through another service.
Nope. The only other destination you can sync your Pages and Numbers iDevice data is to your Mac provided you are running OS X Mountain Lion.
bloutrein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:41 AM   #20
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
How often does Quick Office go on sale or is it at random?
Use AppShopper.com, create an account and it will notify you when apps that you mark as "want" go on sale. You can also look at the history to see what the prices are and have been. Very often you can see patterns from developers, has this app ever been free? Yes, it is free once a year around holiday, or they drop it to $0.99 every quarter for a few days. Etc... very, very helpful.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:17 AM   #21
ethan86
macrumors member

Any opinions on the app Office2? I just read an (older) article on Maclife.com that mentioned this and saw it was $6 in the app store.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps