Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro to the refurbished section of its online store, giving prospective customers the opportunity to save 15% compared to brand-new machine. Currently available models include:

- 2.5 GHz Core i5 with 128 GB storage: $1439, compared to $1699 new

- 2.5 GHz Core i5 with 256 GB storage: $1699, compared to $1999 new

- 2.9 GHz Core i7 with 512 GB storage: $2289, compared to $2689 new

refurb_13_macbook_pro_retina.jpg

All three models are listed as shipping in 1-3 business days.

As with all of Apple's refurbished products, the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro units have been thoroughly tested and reconditioned and carry a one-year warranty equal to that offered on brand-new machines.

The addition of the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro to Apple's refurbished store comes roughly two weeks after the appearance of 15-inch models. But with the 13-inch models having just been introduced in October, some four months after the launch of the 15-inch models, the smaller Retina MacBook Pro has made the transition to the refurbished store much more quickly than its larger sibling.

(Thanks, Alan!)

Article Link: Refurbished 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Models Appear in Apple's Online Store

Last edited:

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
I'm holding out until the updates, if Apple do discontinue the classic MacBook Pro line I would assume the price on the retina models would decrease.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
$1439 sounds like a good price for a NEW one... Should have been around that price to begin with.

There's little competition, so I can see them trying to get a premium price. Once it becomes the only rMBP I think we'll see the price drop to closer to this.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
Thats actually not too terribly bad. With the discounted price, you get can get a retina 13 inch MBP for only 200-300 more depending on the model and customization. Awesome news for those of us with 4+ year old MBPs :)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
There's little competition, so I can see them trying to get a premium price. Once it becomes the only rMBP I think we'll see the price drop to closer to this.

There's little competition in the 15" arena too, and yet the rMBP 15" managed to be priced very close to a 15" cMBP, in fact, the Retina display becomes a no-cost option if you configure both the 15" cMBP and the 15" rMBP to the same specs.

Yet, the 13" rMBP has the display as a 200$ option. A similarly configured 13" cMBP is 200$ cheaper.

There's no explanation for that, you can't spin this kind of stuff (well, you'll try...).

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Ohh. I like that. And better chances of a monitor without IR when refurbished.

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
*continues to wait for 13" rMBA*

:D

Is the pixel density on the MBA higher than the standard (non retina) MBP?
If so, then a retina MBA would go beyond the 227ppi of the current PPI on the retina MBP!

Or maybe they are equal and I'm just getting excited :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Is the pixel density on the MBA higher than the standard (non retina) MBP?
If so, then a retina MBA would go beyond the 227ppi of the current PPI on the retina MBP!

Or maybe they are equal and I'm just getting excited :D

The 13" MBA has a 1440x900 screen, vs the 13" cMBP that has a 1280x800 screen.

However, I doubt a rMBA would have a 2880x1800 screen, they simply stick to the 2560x1600 screen.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There's little competition in the 15" arena too, and yet the rMBP 15" managed to be priced very close to a 15" cMBP, in fact, the Retina display becomes a no-cost option if you configure both the 15" cMBP and the 15" rMBP to the same specs.

Yet, the 13" rMBP has the display as a 200$ option. A similarly configured 13" cMBP is 200$ cheaper.

There's no explanation for that, you can't spin this kind of stuff (well, you'll try...).

The price is based on whatever the market will bear, not what someone on an Internet forum may or may not consider a "fair" price. My guess is that the 13" rMBP as it is today appeals to the pre-2010 Air crowd looking for a premium ultralight. Apple may also have been deliberately attempting to manage demand for the 13" because of yield issues. They have done massive price drops in the past (the 2010 MacBook Air comes to mind).

The 15" rMBP may have been priced a bit more "aggressively" since it is already a more expensive machine. Arguably it is the 15" cMBP that is more overpriced compared to the Windows competition.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
*continues to wait for 13" rMBA*

:D

It may be a while. Battery life would be the issue. That said, I'd really like to see an 11.6" model with a Retina Display (whether they call it a "Pro" or an "Air" doesn't matter to me).

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The price is bas...

I knew you would. ;)

Again, all your spin is worthless in light of the 15" rMBP's pricing. That's what people are basing themselves on when they claim the 13" rMBP should be 1499$. Because by all logic that went into pricing the 15", it should be 1499$. Anything else you come up with is pro-Apple spin, and frankly, should be left as a job for Apple employees, not consumers (consumers should never try to justify higher prices).

duffmanth

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
These things are still too pricey. I don't understand Apple's strategy with the 13" rMBP? The average consumer isn't going to spend that much on a 13" laptop and creative pros are buying 15" or larger laptops.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
hmm... I was about to pull the trigger on a 17 inch.

When is Haswell coming to macs

August.

----------

These things are still too pricey. I don't understand Apple's strategy with the 13" rMBP? The average consumer isn't going to spend that much on a 13" laptop and creative pros are buying 15" or larger laptops.

Apple doesn't sell to the average consumer.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Anything can be explained, even if you don't like the explanation (which I knew you wouldn't). :D

You didn't explain the price, you did what is called "spin".

Again, 15" rMBP vs 15" cMBP, 0$ for the Retina display. 13" rMBP vs 13" cMBP, 0$ for the Retina Display would give us a base price of 1499$.

Leave the Spin to Apple PR. You don't have an explanation for the price either and you're not paid by Apple to spin their greed in this (the pricing is the reason I went with the 15" rMBP instead of the 13").

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I knew you would. ;)

Again, all your spin is worthless in light of the 15" rMBP's pricing. That's what people are basing themselves on when they claim the 13" rMBP should be 1499$. Because by all logic that went into pricing the 15", it should be 1499$. Anything else you come up with is pro-Apple spin, and frankly, should be left as a job for Apple employees, not consumers (consumers should never try to justify higher prices).

I'm an Apple consumer, but I'm also an Apple owner. As the former, I want to pay as little as possible. As the latter, I want others to pay as much as possible. The only "logic" that should go into pricing for any business is what is best for long-term profitability. Sure, I'd have rather personally pay $200 less, but I understand why Apple priced it the way they did (because they can). I'm not saying I'm happy about it as a consumer. If you don't think it's worth $1699, then don't buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.