Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I've never used the newest models but based on your requirements, I'd agree that the Nook HD+ looks best.

• 9" HD screen
  • expandable memory via microSD
  • HDMI out compatible

Also, the 32 GB model is only $299. Seems like best value.

Is it possible to get stock Android 4.1+ on a Nook HD+ or do they lock it down like the Kindle preventing the rooting, etc.

(I have never rooted so I am not sure if I am using the right term)

ewils19

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have a Nook HD+ and I love it. It definitely has some software issues that need to be worked out but I don't personally mind that. The biggest drawback is the limited App Store but its easy enough to enable adb and side load and the people over at xda have gotten a lot of great work done as far as rooting etc. I haven't delved into that side of it yet but when I get bored with my HD+ I'll probably try to figure all that out.
What I use the tablet for is mostly media consumption--reading, movies, web browsing, and some games. I've never used it for anything productive but I'm sure others have.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Is it possible to get stock Android 4.1+ on a Nook HD+ or do they lock it down like the Kindle preventing the rooting, etc.

(I have never rooted so I am not sure if I am using the right term)

Aparently it can be rooted. Don't know if there's a version of stock Jellybean ready for it.

pc9460

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Can I torrent videos directly from the nook?

----------

Didn't realize the nexus 7 came in a 32gb version. Thought for some reason it only came 8gb and 16gb. Do you know if you can download a torrent and download videos straight onto the tablet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.