Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Leave the Spin to Apple PR. You don't have an explanation for the price either and you're not paid by Apple to spin their greed in this (the pricing is the reason I went with the 15" rMBP instead of the 13").

Did you consider that perhaps you rewarded Apple's "greed" by stepping up to a more expensive machine? Just because you don't like an explanation doesn't mean it is "spin." Apple charged more because they could. It isn't as if there is a constitutional "right" to buy a 13" rMBP for $1499 just because that's the same price relative to the 13" cMBP as the 15" rMBP is to the 15" cMBP.

Anyway, the point of this thread is that there is a cheaper option for those who want to save on a 13" rMBP.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I knew you would. ;)

Again, all your spin is worthless in light of the 15" rMBP's pricing. That's what people are basing themselves on when they claim the 13" rMBP should be 1499$. Because by all logic that went into pricing the 15", it should be 1499$. Anything else you come up with is pro-Apple spin, and frankly, should be left as a job for Apple employees, not consumers (consumers should never try to justify higher prices).

Unless, of course, said "customer" is a plant from the company. Is Apple above that? I can't say I ever recall them doing that, but who knows; maybe that's something they can still actually keep secret for years on end.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Unless, of course, said "customer" is a plant from the company. Is Apple above that? I can't say I ever recall them doing that, but who knows; maybe that's something they can still actually keep secret for years on end.

I'm definitely not an Apple employee or plant.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

KPOM is not an Apple plant, he's just often too quick to try to justify Apple's anti-consumer pricing practices, even when they totally defy reality.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
KPOM is not an Apple plant, he's just often too quick to try to justify Apple's anti-consumer pricing practices, even when they totally defy reality.

I'm surprised you are more upset about the $200 premium on the display rather than the prices they charge for extra flash storage. Now that's where they really pad their margins.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I'm surprised you are more upset about the $200 premium on the display rather than the prices they charge for extra flash storage. Now that's where they really pad their margins.

You forgot ram. It's not user upgradable in the retinas as it's soldered to the MB thus forcing you to buy from Apple.

My only gripe with purchasing a refurb of these - I'd want the base with 16GB of ram and that doesn't seem possible.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No, because their pricing on the 15" rMBP was fair. I rewarded their fair pricing policy.

How do you define "fair"? You seem to be basing it on the premium to the cMBP. But is that the right measure? There is a $600 premium between the base 13" cMBP and the base 15" cMBP. Is the quad-core processor, the discrete GPU, and larger screen really "worth" the extra $600? It certainly doesn't cost anywhere near that much more. Maybe the 15" rMBP just seems more "fairly" priced because they are gouging the 15"rMBP customers.

----------

You forgot ram. It's not user upgradable in the retinas as it's soldered to the MB thus forcing you to buy from Apple.

My only gripe with purchasing a refurb of these - I'd want the base with 16GB of ram and that doesn't seem possible.

The maximum RAM is 8GB on the 13" model.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
How do you define "fair"? You seem to be basing it on the premium to the cMBP. But is that the right measure? There is a $600 premium between the base 13" cMBP and the base 15" cMBP. Is the quad-core processor, the discrete GPU, and larger screen really "worth" the extra $600? It certainly doesn't cost anywhere near that much more. Maybe the 15" rMBP just seems more "fairly" priced because they are gouging the 15"rMBP customers.

----------

The maximum RAM is 8GB on the 13" model.

If I had to guess... Apple was testing the market

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

The padding occurs accross the whole range, equally. Yes, it's greedy that there's such a premium for a 32 GB iPhone vs a 16 GB one when the only change is 10$ worth of Flash, but it's consistent accross the whole line-up. I'm not upset about the display, just find it ludicrous that it's a 0$ option on the 15" and a 200$ option the 13" basically.

If it was 200$ on both at least, it would make sense (I'm OCD, stuff needs to make sense).

----------

How do you define "fair"? You seem to be basing it on the premium to the cMBP. But is that the right measure?

Yes. That was the right measure for me. Of course, there's no measure to make the 13" cMBP to 13" rMBP fair. None. You need to enter "market will bear-Apple PR land" to make it work, which should be left to people paid by Apple, not its users.

Stop playing "Apple PR person".

greg78x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
So Cal
The 13" MBA has a 1440x900 screen, vs the 13" cMBP that has a 1280x800 screen.

However, I doubt a rMBA would have a 2880x1800 screen, they simply stick to the 2560x1600 screen.

That's what I figured. I doubt they would double to 2880 wide. They'd simply use the rMBP's screen. Makes sense. Thanks for the input.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yes. That was the right measure for me. Of course, there's no measure to make the 13" cMBP to 13" rMBP fair. None.

Sure there is. Is it worth it to me, the customer making the decision, to pay $200 more for the rMBP in order to get a machine that's nearly a pound lighter and has a better display? If yes, then it's a "fair" price to me. If not, then it isn't. Since I'm not in the market for a 15" notebook, Apple's relative pricing on the 15" models is irrelevant.

snowmen

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished desktop because I could get a new keyboard and mouse... Those are the places somebody else touched the most...

But unless Apple change whole new exterior parts, I'm not buying refurbished laptop or tablet... :(

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
There's little competition in the 15" arena too, and yet the rMBP 15" managed to be priced very close to a 15" cMBP, in fact, the Retina display becomes a no-cost option if you configure both the 15" cMBP and the 15" rMBP to the same specs.

Yet, the 13" rMBP has the display as a 200$ option. A similarly configured 13" cMBP is 200$ cheaper.

There's no explanation for that, you can't spin this kind of stuff (well, you'll try...).

What does the "c" before "MBP" stand for? Sure hope it aint crap...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
What does the "c" before "MBP" stand for? Sure hope it aint crap...

Classic or Current (because when people started the cMBP vs rMBP appellation, the then Current MacBook Pro was non-Retina).

----------

Is it worth it to me, the customer

Stop the spin, that's not a measure, that again is an Apple PR person's spin. It makes no logical sense, it's purely marketing hocus pocus. You're not paid by Apple, start being pro-consumer, not pro-Apple marketing spin.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The padding occurs accross the whole range, equally. Yes, it's greedy that there's such a premium for a 32 GB iPhone vs a 16 GB one when the only change is 10$ worth of Flash, but it's consistent accross the whole line-up. I'm not upset about the display, just find it ludicrous that it's a 0$ option on the 15" and a 200$ option the 13" basically.

If it was 200$ on both at least, it would make sense (I'm OCD, stuff needs to make sense).

----------

Yes. That was the right measure for me. Of course, there's no measure to make the 13" cMBP to 13" rMBP fair. None. You need to enter "market will bear-Apple PR land" to make it work, which should be left to people paid by Apple, not its users.

Stop playing "Apple PR person".

Sure there is. Is it worth it to me, the customer making the decision, to pay $200 more for the rMBP in order to get a machine that's nearly a pound lighter and has a better display? If yes, then it's a "fair" price to me. If not, then it isn't. Since I'm not in the market for a 15" notebook, Apple's relative pricing on the 15" models is irrelevant.

Look, KPOM is right. I find the price of the 13 rMBP too expensive to buy. Much as I would like one. And the price of the 15 inch version is irrelevant as it is a different product. Its only relevance is when you the buyer might decide to choose it instead as its mix of features and price is more appealing to you when you push the purchase button.

But just because I can't afford a 13 rMBP does that mean it is not a fair price? Not to me. But more generally, no. Because Apple is probably selling them as fast as they can make them. A sign that they are too expensive would be if they started piling up in warehouses unsold. That would be a sign that Apple has set the price too high.

If Apple didn't charge as high a price as it could for any of its products, it is not being fair to its shareholders. And there are many shareholders, while you, KnightWrx, are a constituency of one. Apple is not a charity.

In a market economy, a seller tries to get the highest price they can for a product, and the buyer tries to get the lowest price they can. The seller has their pricing right when they can make as much money as possible for every widget they are able to make.

In a non market economy, an entity (ruler, politburo, SMA, guild etc) determines the price of a product. All products end up looking the same, quality nosedives, and nobody could be arsed being innovative as it takes forever to get the design and price approved. They all copy the approved design. And the buyers end up in queues and waiting lists to buy crap at approved and mandated prices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.