Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
danmac3
macrumors newbie

Need Help (Time Machine)

So I'm running a MBP w/ 500Gb HD, OS X Mountain Lion. I have time machine set up to run from an external portable HD.

Yesterday, I needed to recover a file, so I decided to use time machine. Long story short, it "appeared" to copy everything (i.e. entire Macintosh HD) totalling 168GB onto my MBP HD. So now it appears that my HD went from only having 168Gb data on it, to now having over 300Gb data on it.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out where all the files that were copied over from time machine went. It said it copied and I checked replace, but it looks like it dumped 168Gb worth of data somewhere.

How can I find this data and get my HD back down where it was?
danmac3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

You can try OmniDisksweeper to help you find where everything went.

If you can't figure it out and if the backup is current, you could command-r boot to recovery and just erase Macintosh HD then restore back from Time Machine
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help