Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hearst Titles Now Available on Apple's Newsstand Days Ahead of Other Channels

Apple has rolled out a new feature for Newsstand, allowing select publishers to be featured in a new Read Them Here First section, reports TechCrunch.

Hearst is the first publisher to be featured, and its entire catalog is available to subscribers several days before the print editions hit newsstands, and before its magazines hit other platforms like Amazon's Kindle Fire.

Quote:
The exclusive arrangement varies by individual publication in terms of how far in advance you'll be able to get the various Hearst titles compared to in print and from other online storefronts like Amazon's Kindle marketplace, but each will be available at least a few days in advance, I'm told. Existing subscribers will get early access, as well as those signing up for the first time.
The exclusive publishing window is a nice perk for potential subscribers and iPad owners, though it seems unlikely that getting a magazine a few days early would, on its own, sway potential tablet purchasers to the iPad.

Article Link: Hearst Titles Now Available on Apple's Newsstand Days Ahead of Other Channels
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

awesome !
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

I am super excited to see this finally rolled out.
iPadPublisher is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Punkwaffle
macrumors regular

Eff Hearst. No thanks, that family is why you can go to jail for 5 years for a joint.
Punkwaffle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:52 PM   #5
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The exclusive publishing window is a nice perk for potential subscribers and iPad owners, though it seems unlikely that getting a magazine a few days early would, on its own, sway potential tablet purchasers to the iPad.
Why the anti-Apple spin, and not just the facts?

This is one of the many things that would sway someone to get an iPad. Of course, 'on it's own' - no. But that statement was specifically crafted to say something bad about something good.
bbeagle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Why the anti-Apple spin, and not just the facts?
"Anti-Apple" spin? On MacRumors? You have got to be joking.

Yes, they're wrong. But it has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with naïveté about how people read magazines — especially some of these titles. Cosmo? Elle? O? Absolutely, a couple of days early will sway people to read magazines on their already-purchased iPads, if not to purchase new iPads.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:59 PM   #7
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but I still prefer magazines in the physical form. I do wish Apple would finally give the option to remove the Newsstand app or put it in a folder.
myrtlebee is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:05 PM   #8
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post
"Anti-Apple" spin? On MacRumors? You have got to be joking.
I hope your sarcasm tag is on.

MOST of what is on MacRumors is Anti-Apple spin. Anytime someone says they like something Apple does, no matter how benign, it's bashed 2 to 1.
bbeagle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:11 PM   #9
devilbond
macrumors member

I look forward to reading none of those.
devilbond is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:23 PM   #10
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:

MOST of what is on MacRumors is Anti-Apple spin. Anytime someone says they like something Apple does, no matter how benign, it's bashed 2 to 1.
Comments yes. However articles by staff are generally fairly neutral or lean on Apple's side. Never do you see an article coming across as being spun in a negative way towards Apple.
rmwebs is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:29 PM   #11
a.gomez
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I'm probably in the extreme minority here, but I still prefer magazines in the physical form. I do wish Apple would finally give the option to remove the Newsstand app or put it in a folder.
you better off getting the print even if you do digital

My girl got Vanity Fair print over christmas for 9.99 a year (Amazon) and I got her the Digital edition for Free in the NextIssue App on our iPad - which also gave it to me on my GalaxyTab 2 7 (via the NextIssue android App using the same account)

I usually get the print and later see if I can get the digital for free on NI

NI is run by the publishers - That way the publisher gets all the money.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbond View Post
I look forward to reading none of those.
How these are still in print or functioning is a huge mystery. The propaganda laced with hi-priced advertising, providing pap and yesterweek's news, is so 20th century.

Digitizing dinosaur media is a like opening a casket before tucking in for a good burial.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:44 PM   #13
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwaffle View Post
Eff Hearst. No thanks, that family is why you can go to jail for 5 years for a joint.
Pretty sure that was congress and the progressive perversion of the commerce clause but I digress.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:56 PM   #14
mabaker
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Then any Andrpoid or Google news but gets twisted positively every time, too - by Google drones posting here. They don't see any problem there.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:

Yep. That comment in the original post was completely unnecessary.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:26 PM   #16
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
You could say this about hundreds of features of iOS and OS X... generally, it's not individual perks that sway a person to buy a given product (particularly a product priced so much above the competition,) but the entirety of how all those small perks come together.

I'm actually going to back down a bit from what I just said though and point out one thing Apple could do that would prompt me to buy an iPad in a heartbeat: get the textbooks I need for class into your iBooks Textbook store! Pay just $15/book and keep it forever rather than pay $200/book and then return it and get maybe $140 back (if you're lucky) sounds amazing. I occasionally wish I had my textbooks back (IE, my Circuits book was a lot clearer than my Electronics book is when it comes to Op Amps... but I returned that book last year and I'm taking Electronics now...)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:30 PM   #17
ApfelKuchen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree, it's not about selling the first iPad (well, except to a handful to magazine executives and staff who will use "monitor the way Apple is presenting our products" as justification for a corporate expenditure).

Top of the list is iTunes Store revenues. In this case, a unique reason to come to iTunes Store rather than some other e-content vendor. And the magazine publishers get an attractive placement on the store "shelves." Visibility, visibility, visibility.

Then, of course, there's stickiness - give folks yet another reason to use their iPad on a regular basis, and to stay within the Apple ecosystem. (So yeah, hardware sales figure into this, too.)
ApfelKuchen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:33 PM   #18
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Cydia.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Frisco
macrumors 68020

I just had the "Big O" for the first time in my life. Am I still considered a virgin?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:08 PM   #20
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Nice!

I am so happy that these good magazines are finally on my iPad!
CrazyForApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:15 PM   #21
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I subscribe to Food Network on Zinio for far less than they're charging.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:27 PM   #22
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
Cydia.
I don't jailbreak.
myrtlebee is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:47 PM   #23
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't jailbreak.
http://www.cydiahacks.com/hide.html
Don't let the "Cydia" in that link scare you off, though.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #24
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
http://www.cydiahacks.com/hide.html
Don't let the "Cydia" in that link scare you off, though.
Rather not, but thanks anyway
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:11 PM   #25
nostresshere
macrumors 68000

I might be dreaming, but I would hope the Pro-Apple, Anti-Apple thing goes away from this discussion.

As to this deal - I did not see any pricing.

As to NextIssue - slick app - but it is not free. Adding one magazine if you already are enrolled is of course free.
nostresshere is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion