Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I know they are floundering.

I recently posted an article on how I thought screen sizes were getting obscene lately (just my own opinion, relax ;)

But I have to say, that there are 3 things that I do NOT like on my SSGS3 that would convince me to go with the BB10 IF, IF, IF it meets those criteria. I would use it as a more pocket, grab and go phone over my GS3 which would be my media, I am not going too far phone.

1) Camera blows on the S3. I was able to get great pics with my iP4, can't come close with my S3. Disappoints me actually. If the BB10 answers this I will be tempted.

2) Noise cancellation: my iP4 had better noise cancellation in my vehicle which has lots of road noise. On my S3 my parents think I am in a wind tunnel and it is so bad that the noise fools the device to think that I am talking so it cancels out the incoming person. If the BB10 nails that I will be tempted.

3) Screen size: Yes I LOVE my S3 for when I am at school and on breaks etc. But for a grab and go, and stuff in a pocket, it just doesn't cut it for ME. If BB10 nails a 4.3-4.6" screen I will be tempted.

Yes I know that the apps currently are lacking but if they have the ones I will need for on the go, I will be tempted.

Anyone else?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
1) Camera blows on the S3. I was able to get great pics with my iP4, can't come close with my S3. Disappoints me actually.
Can't tell if you were being serious or sarcastic? The camera on the S3 is better than any mobile camera out there. Only the iPhone 5 comes close. My iPhone 4 camera was good for it's day no doubt, but the S3 camera is clearly better, with far more options here.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You cant count me in, I plan on getting one. The OS seems really fluid and snappy, I like the multi tasking, and if the web browser is the same as the one on the playbook, I'll be all over it. Screen size seems good at 4.2", though would have preferred 4.3". Hopefully the apps will be there, but supposedly there will be close to 100,000 apps at launch.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
All of those have gotten better with the 5

The problem with the 5 is the rinky dink screen.

Yes I may feel that 4.8" is a bit big to be slugging around in the pocket, Apple's "tall phone" just is LAME.

I really loved my iP4 but I have to admit I was needing something fresh and different and the S3 provided that in spades!

My issue is a happy medium in portability and top end phone. I loathe the 4"inch screen now, but now all of the top end phones are on this 5" + kick which is just insane imo.

----------

Can't tell if you were being serious or sarcastic? The camera on the S3 is better than any mobile camera out there. Only the iPhone 5 comes close. My iPhone 4 camera was good for it's day no doubt, but the S3 camera is clearly better, with far more options here.

I am sorry, I have tried EVERYTHING to get a good clear and noiseless shot with that damn phone. It just isn't working for me. Maybe mine is defective, but I cannot achieve the crispness I had on my 4. It's crazy.

So alas, I really am not joking. Have even tried some top end apps. Could be a defect in the phone but I am not going to be able to convince FutureShop to exchange a phone because the pics aren't as crisp as I would like when the camera works unfortunately.

----------

You cant count me in, I plan on getting one. The OS seems really fluid and snappy, I like the multi tasking, and if the web browser is the same as the one on the playbook, I'll be all over it. Screen size seems good at 4.2", though would have preferred 4.3". Hopefully the apps will be there, but supposedly there will be close to 100,000 apps at launch.

One pleasant surprise was the ability to separate your work profile from your personal profile and have the data for work secure and not cross contaminated. Very interesting. But we'll see.

I was hoping for a 4.3" minimum.... as it stands I don't have a landline and the S3 is my only phone so having a back up and something new to swap out from time to time would be fun. Since I am currently on a subsidized phone, it will have to be considered very seriously if I do nibble.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
One pleasant surprise was the ability to separate your work profile from your personal profile and have the data for work secure and not cross contaminated. Very interesting. But we'll see.

I was hoping for a 4.3" minimum.... as it stands I don't have a landline and the S3 is my only phone so having a back up and something new to swap out from time to time would be fun. Since I am currently on a subsidized phone, it will have to be considered very seriously if I do nibble.

Yeah, that does seem like a nice feature. I carry two phones, so its not something I would need, but if I only carried one that would be huge.

As for the camera this video was supposedly taken on the new z10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAuLIb5qTl0&feature=player_embedded

Over at crackberry.com they have a ton of leaks, there are also some videos of the camera app showing this different filter and this feature where you can move forward or backward in time when you took the picture, so if one person blinks during the shot you can "rewind" that person's face to when they weren't blinking. There is some really cool stuff coming from RIM.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
I'm with you... I'm not sure I would jump ship from Apple for it, but I like the idea of another competitor that isn't obsessed with gigantic screen sizes and is focused more on business/productivity users. In my mind... games, movies, TV shows, etc. are what I have a television for. I want my phone to focus on making calls, sending emails, managing calendars and workflows, social media, taking good quality pictures, and doing it all in a professional look and feel.

WP8 seems to be struggling a bit so some extra competition from an old veteran will be good for everyone.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
In my mind... games, movies, TV shows, etc. are what I have a television for.

I think that's the mindset that led BB to where they are today.

I won't be purchasing a BB any time soon but I am excited to see what they have planned for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.