Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
It seems that all of the hardware additions most people would like -- external storage, onboard tuner, etc. -- most likely won't happen.

Given that the previous update's major new feature was a resolution bump from 720p to 1080p, I don't hold out a lot of hope for anything whiz-bang that would make me go out and replace my current ATV3s. A slightly better processor and maybe a move to the wireless AC standard seems the most likely to me.

I would think that the most likely updates for ATV would be software-based, either with a revised version of iOS and/or more channels. I think ATV suffers a little bit compared to what Roku offers in terms of content. Offering Amazon Prime, HBO Go and PBS is fairly realistic, as iOS users can already get those on their iPhones, iPads and touches through their respective apps. Other channels such as Pandora and Crackle, which also exist as iOS apps, would be nice too.

And I agree with a previous poster -- adding NFL Sunday Ticket to the ATV would be fantastic. PS3 owners can already do this and it would be great if ATV owners could as well.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
App Store

My only recommendation is for more storage options (like the iPhone, iPad). 16gb, 32gb, 64gb etc. and and App Store. Allow the community to build out the AppleTV because Apple will limp along until the AppleTV is too far behind to catch up.

I have multiple ATV's, WDTV Live's and 1 Roku Box. If GoogleTV comes out with a compelling option I will give that a try. Right not the ATV interface is the best and has the iTunes Content.

Anyway, I also have the HDHomeRun Prime which is a Network CableCard Tuner. Really no reason for Apple to add a tuner. I would prefer they support something like the HDHomeRun so I can have an unlimited number of tuners to share between all of my ATV's.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
We use our ATVs 99% of the time we are watching TV. However, there is room for improvements. I would love the following:

the ability to access an external storage device connected to the ATV or the wifi router;
to see all of my music under the music icon, movies under the movies icon, and TV shows under the TV shows icon; regardless of the source of the content (i.e., iTunes, rips, Amazon);
a clock screensaver;
the ability to play all TV shows in a series without needing to press play for each episode or the ability to make a TV show or movie playlist to play without interruption (an "up next" type of function);
to see my locally stored movies and TV shows in the same view as Apple store content instead of lists;
and an app store.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
The only reason I see external capabilities not being offered is that same content "should" be in iTunes which would make an external not needed. If you have the much content, you can store your iTunes library on the external and just use Home Sharing on the Apple TV.

Apple is banking on everyone to use the cloud. Subscription base for music and movies. Allot of folks don't want or care for this. Sure I periodically rent a movie from iTunes. But apple wants to take away OUR choice on how we want our content. Bad idea. If apple cripples ATV any more, I'll be looking for another ecosystem for my streaming. Apples greed will bring them down if they don't get off there high horse and start listening to their customers. Without customers, no apple.

Last edited:

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Whatever they do, they need to provide an option for higher bitrate 1080p. Their current encodes suck.

Netflix just came out with "Super HD" 1080p at 8 mbps. Vudu HDX 1080p is 9 mbps. Itunes 1080p is 5 mbps, and their 720p is 4 mbps.

5 mbps doesn't cut it for 1080p, no matter what "magical" compression apple is telling you they use. Even their movie trailers are 8-10 mbps.

Last edited:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I don't see an Apple TV hardware refresh coming anytime soon. The only reason I could think to update it would be for Siri support or something.

What I'd love for them to do is refine the interface so it works better when changing between apps. Like combine content from Netflix, Hulu Plus, iTunes, etc. The UI is pretty slow IMO and it's a pain in the butt to move over to watching a show in Hulu Plus when you're drilled down deep into a Netflix menu chain.

Also, be able to use an iPad to better control it. For example, use the iPad's native Netflix app to control what is playing on the Apple TV (and not via AirPlay either). Their official remote app is a start but that still sucks. I want to browse Netflix, on the iPad, hit Play and have it natively play on the Apple TV without AirPlay.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
the ability to access an external storage device connected to the ATV or the wifi router;

It used to be this way. Gen 1 had this feature (via third party hack). Worked great. Then, Apple decided to make it more difficult with the "2" than impossible with "3". Great trend, huh?

to see all of my music under the music icon, movies under the movies icon, and TV shows under the TV shows icon;

It used to be this way. The last incarnation of the Gen 1 UI stored our content where it belonged. It was much more intuitive that way. Then, Apple decided to make it less intuitive by moving all of our own content under a menu called "Computers".

I still think Gen 1 was the overall best :apple:TV and best UI for it. I switched only for 1080p but I wish that Apple would resurrect that final UI for the newer hardware... or resurrect "Front Row" for maybe the mini using that final "1" UI as the new Front Row.

Whatever they do, they need to provide an option for higher bitrate 1080p. Netflix just came out with "Super HD" 1080p at 8 mbps. Vudu HDX 1080p is 9 mbps. Itunes 1080p is 5 mbps, and their 720p is 4 mbps.

Learn to make your own. The "3" hardware has the horses for upwards of 25Mbps or maybe a little more. It's store content where Apple and/or the Studios have decided that smaller file size (at the expense of mbps) is more desirable than higher quality. Make your own and you can choose variables like quality. Trust a giant corporation and you are trusting others to choose for you (cue 20 responses arguing "I" can't see the difference, so "you" can't either"; "don't like it, don't buy it"; "Apple's revenue success and/or cash hoard demonstrates who knows best", etc).

I am a massive :apple:TV fan, long arguing that it should be the fourth leg of the table. If only Apple would decide to give the market what it wants rather than trying to make the market love it as Apple wants to serve it up.

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You know, something like the connect for Facetime calls and Siri like voice recognition for commands, like searching, show selection, etc would be a nice addition actually.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Please please please get rid of the stupid stupid necessity to keep a computer switched on and running iTunes in the house to stream music/movies etc from.

Give the ATV a HD like it used to have and allow download to the ATV itself. Streaming is useless for me (poor broadband in this country) but downloads (just leaving overnight) would be fine. Or as a previous poster already said at least provide the option for this with support for a USB attached external drive.

Until then I'll stick with my old Macbook attached to the TV (using AirMouse/iTunes Remote and XBMC app on iPad to control) - an Apple Remote and an ATV would be ideal though.....

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Whatever...I really hate Apple right now since it is ****ing Brazil's costumers with their new price policies. Buying Apple's products here became so unreasonable that only a person with their priorities really messed up, would. A Retina MacBook Pro costs $5000 here(USD). A frugal Apple TV costs $200; the iPhone 5 entry price is $1200. Apple is aware of that, since they haven't even bothered starting selling the iPad mini here. The iPhone 5 can't be found anywhere, since Apple isn't selling it through the Apple on line store as they did in the past, and they sent a ridiculously small number of units to the carries, which sold out in the first day. I guess as long as china keeps its "insatiable" demand for these products, Apple couldn't care less for Brazil. But there will come a day when Apple will fell the need to expand again, just to show their investors those beautiful profit and revenue numbers. Thats when we are going to show those ****ers a big middle finger!

I could send you some items that youre looking for :)
PM me

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Please please please get rid of the stupid stupid necessity to keep a computer switched on and running iTunes in the house to stream music/movies etc from.

Give the ATV a HD like it used to have and allow download to the ATV itself. Streaming is useless for me (poor broadband in this country) but downloads (just leaving overnight) would be fine. Or as a previous poster already said at least provide the option for this with support for a USB attached external drive.

Until then I'll stick with my old Macbook attached to the TV (using AirMouse/iTunes Remote and XBMC app on iPad to control) - an Apple Remote and an ATV would be ideal though.....

Agreed.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
My guess is that Apple won't put apps on their Apple TV device/service until they properly refresh it. It's one of the killer features that they'll be saving for the iTV if that ever comes to market. If they put FaceBook, Twitter, iCloud features and other things on the current Apple TV device, it would absolutely weaken the attraction of whatever they're cooking up in the actual TV department. Whatever they're doing better be damn good if they want to challenge XBOX though for dominance in the living room. My gut tells me that they've got something BIG in store for march though. We won't see any Mac or iPhone updates until the second half of the year...so basically...I think the Apple/home theatre fans are in for a treat soon!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple TV as much as I love mine needs a bit of an overhaul, with more TV like app support. It's now falling behind UI of many TVs with built in smart features, therefore its needs to up its game or risk being further sidelined and become irrelevant.

That is how I feel. I use my TV's built in interface more than appleTV b.c it has amazon prime built in.

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
the ability to play all TV shows in a series without needing to press play for each episode or the ability to make a TV show or movie playlist to play without interruption (an "up next" type of function)

You can already do this. Just setup a playlist in iTunes and drop the episodes in it. Be sure to go under settings on the Apple TV and change show playlist to all.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Apps availability can go a long way toward making Apple TV usable.

As it is, I use it for Netflix and little else (but I do love Netflix).

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Add NAS support so I can stream my movies directly from the NAS, instead of having to have a Mac running and iTunes open.

Not at all an unreasonable request, Apple.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Add NAS support so I can stream my movies directly from the NAS, instead of having to have a Mac running and iTunes open.

Not at all an unreasonable request, Apple.

Yep, NAS is also a must, but it can probably be addressed by adding app support.

My question is, how much storage does the ATV3 have for apps, if Apple ever implements them? If not much storage is available currently, this can of course be an issue and necessitate new hardware.

Also, Apple may never allow apps, or NAS support. While apps (and DLNA/NAS support) would make ATV a much more competitive device, Apple is a company which likes to get their $$$ cut from everything that happens in their ecosystem, so they may never allow apps, and DLNA/NAS support would be even less likely.

But maybe someone will come up with a really elegant Android-based box and all this will then become irrelevant.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Yep, NAS is also a must, but it can probably be addressed by adding app support.

My question is, how much storage does the ATV3 have for apps, if Apple ever implements them? If not much storage is available currently, this can of course be an issue and necessitate new hardware.

Also, Apple may never allow apps, or NAS support. While apps (and DLNA/NAS support) would make ATV a much more competitive device, Apple is a company which likes to get their $$$ cut from everything that happens in their ecosystem, so they may never allow apps, and DLNA/NAS support would be even less likely.

But maybe someone will come up with a really elegant Android-based box and all this will then become irrelevant.
8gb like the smallest iPhone. As you know they have Apps now. And like the iPhone and iPad you would be limited based on your memory size. That is why I call for 16gb, 32gb and 64gb models.

Your argument about the ecosystem. Everything we are asking for is currently available on the iPhone and/or iPad.

I.E. HBO Go, MAX Go, Amazon Prime, SHO Anytime, ABC Player, FOX News, WatchESPN, SlingPlayer, iMediaShare, FIOS Mobile, Live TV Apps and many many more. My point is that they allow all of these on the iPad so it can't be all about protecting the ecosystem.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
RS-232 or IP drivers for Crestron/Control4 please.
(big one)

App wise?
IPTV from Comcast.
OnDemand from Comcast.
ABC, CBS, ESPN, FOX, Ect. apps for OnDemand TV.
HDHomerun app.

Unified search.

GUI for iPhone/iPad -> AppleTV.
(IE "dynamic" airplay. Instead of streaming to iPhone then AppleTV select content on iPhone and initiate playback directly on AppleTV)

A big one that is more iTunes related is iTunes in the background. Souldn't need iTunes open to access library from AppleTV. Should be a background process.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Improvements to the current video/audio streaming services are a given... what the :apple:tv really needs is a heavy spec bump, Bluetooth controller support and the App Store.

The Ouya and other Android based 'consoles' are coming out this year. Nintendo really aren't taking advantage of their head start and there's been no mention (yet) of anything new from Microsoft or Sony even though PS4 and the new Xbox are blatantly on the horizon.

C'mon Apple, take this opportunity to make the :apple:tv into something that it deserves to be... no more of this 'side project' or 'hobby' rubbish....

:apple:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
App store, facetime, and imessage then I'm good! And of course remote control from my iphone and ipad!

Not sure why you'd want to iMessage from your AppleTV, but hey, why not! Nonetheless, there's already a remote app by Apple to control the AppleTV with your iPhone. Not sure if it is available or works on the iPad, but probably.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I have a couple requests that they should be able to implement with existing hardware. 1: streaming of 24/96 alac music. I'm able to put it in my library. Why can't I listen to it on my atv? For that matter, quit playing back 16/44 alac files as 16/48. 2:make it so I can see ALL of my photos when using the screensaver. I don't want a few hundred saved to cache. Stream all the photos and update on the fly.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Not sure why you'd want to iMessage from your AppleTV, but hey, why not! Nonetheless, there's already a remote app by Apple to control the AppleTV with your iPhone. Not sure if it is available or works on the iPad, but probably.

How about getting notifications on the Apple TV

iMessages , news

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.